Scavenging one nearly new battery to make another?

e-beach said:
But remember: “The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.” Lao Tzu
True!

but is it **more** true with the "longevity" meaning of "lasts long"?

or the per-trip "range" meaning?

john61ct said:
e-beach said:
But remember: “The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.” Lao Tzu
True!

but is it **more** true with the "longevity" meaning of "lasts long"?

or the per-trip "range" meaning?

Both. Most high C lithium batteries don't have as many cycles (longevity) in them as lower C batteries. And, if you go WOT all the way on your trip, your range will be decreased by the watt usage needed for speed.

:D :bolt:

Thanks, clear.

On the latter I actually meant "build quality / designed for high usable Ah" rather than user behaviour.

So two cells both "rated" 3000 mAh, both from top quality brands, but one claims 40C the other only 10C.

In a use case that never goes above say .2C, is the latter more likely to actually deliver greater capacity?

Thanks, clear.

On the latter I actually meant "build quality / designed for high usable Ah" rather than user behaviour.

So two cells both "rated" 3000 mAh, both from top quality brands, but one claims 40C the other only 10C.

In a use case that never goes above say .2C, is the latter more likely to actually deliver greater capacity?

john61ct said:

It has to be an apple to apple comparison. Do you have any cell types in mind?

Obviously can actually A/B test any given pair, but the intent of the question's about being able to generally infer.

john61ct said:
... but the intent of the question's about being able to generally infer.

Ok, then one could infer from real world performance that RC lipo can deliver higher C rates then Lico but burns out sooner then Lico, while Lico delivers high C ratings then LiFePO but burns out sooner then LiFePO. Other then that manufactures datasheets are required for real A/B comparison.

e-beach said:
....one could infer from real world performance that RC lipo can deliver higher C rates then Lico but burns out sooner then Lico, while Lico delivers high C ratings then LiFePO but burns out sooner then LiFePO. Other then that manufactures datasheets are required for real A/B comparison.
True as a crude summary ,..but not always so with exceptions like A123 lifePo having very high “C” rates and exceptional long life cycle

Sorry I did mean staying within lipo packaging, which my understanding implies lithium cobalt oxide (LiCoO2, a.k.a. LCO) these days.

Not comparing grossly different chemistries.

And assuming mfg C-rate claims are fictional, but using them as a proxy signal for intended use case.

_____

In a use case that ** never actually goes above say .2C **, is the latter batt more likely to **actually deliver** greater capacity?

And, what's the meaning of "bolt" at the end of posts?

Lover"s A123 20ah 72v 24s - 1384 cycles 23,000 miles @ 80anps for 5 years. Yes very y heavy. Did I say 23,000 miles. No bms and cant use balance charger.. ? As always in balance. So a waste of money on thru the sense wire changers
Give me another Marcos give me another. Ganbei I don't know where to look for the future but the future is ahead of us give me another Martin Luther King

john61ct said:

In a use case that ** never actually goes above say .2C **, is the latter batt more likely to **actually deliver** greater capacity?

And, what's the meaning of "bolt" at the end of posts?

I can't answer that with out specifics. What cells are you speaking of? I could speculate but it would be speculation. If it were a guessing game then I would guess the 40c cell would indeed ware out faster then the 10c cell.

BTW, reputable compiles will give honest datasheets or they would loose business to big battery users. Although if you look at the data sheets they usually give a range of what the cells capacity will be, so variance between cells in a known issue.

As for the bolt? It is my way of saying "Happy Electricity" to you.

e-beach said:
I could speculate but it would be speculation. If it were a guessing game then I would guess the 40c cell would indeed wear out faster then the 10c cell
Thanks that was exactly my question, a guide to speculation when accurate data is not (yet) available.

> As for the bolt? It is my way of saying "Happy Electricity" to you.

Ah so as in lightning? I thought maybe as in sprinting away,

bolt.jpg

john61ct said:
....Thanks that was exactly my question, a guide to speculation when accurate data is not (yet) available......

Exactly! Which is why, around ES, there are known reputable sellers that can be recommended. And types of batteries that can be recommended. We don't like speculation much when building a battery pack. We want the facts.

Back