Seidel radial engine.

sico

100 W
Kind of off topic, since this is an electric forum, but I would love to see someone put one of these in a bike. This nine cylinder version has a max output of 4kW and operates between 1000-6000rpm. The noise and appearance would be awsome! :)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11029

ST990.jpg

What kind of load could that thing put in the air? A smallish light plane w/ a passenger? Or is it limited to only model applications for air flight? Sorry but I'm ignorant about this sort of thing.

number1cruncher said:
What kind of load could that thing put in the air? A smallish light plane w/ a passenger? Or is it limited to only model applications for air flight? Sorry but I'm ignorant about this sort of thing.

4kw is 4kw is 4kw. Doesn't matter if it's a little electric motor, a little 25cc single cylinder 2-stroke, or this relatively big heavy 9 cylinder 4-stroke. It's still just 4kw. That makes for an OK performance large-ish RC plane, but it's not going to be flying people through the air. (watch, somebody will link to some purpose-built human-power pedal glider thing that could fly with this engine lol)

liveforphysics said:
(watch, somebody will link to some purpose-built human-power pedal glider thing that could fly with this engine lol)

I like a chalange.

....Couldn't find one, but found this. Cri Cri. Googling, I've seen variations powered by everything from RC electric to Jets. 11kw normaly as an aerobatic plane, so 8KW from twin rotery should fly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colomban_Cri-cri

Drunkskunk said:
liveforphysics said:
(watch, somebody will link to some purpose-built human-power pedal glider thing that could fly with this engine lol)

I like a chalange.

....Couldn't find one, but found this. Cri Cri. Googling, I've seen variations powered by everything from RC electric to Jets. 11kw normaly as an aerobatic plane, so 8KW from twin rotery should fly.

That damn Cri Cri again.... :lol:

Drunkskunk said:
liveforphysics said:

I like a chalange.

I don't think a cri-cri could get off the ground with 8kw.

They run a pair of 11kw engines, and the vid's of take-offs don't look very overpowered.

go big or go home....

:shock:

Watch yer sac on that monstrosity...

dequinox said:
:shock:

Watch yer sac on that monstrosity...

If it got close enough to scare yer sac you'd already be missing at least one leg (with the other to follow) :? .

No, no, no, no......

What you want is a radial, electromagnetic piston engine! Fuse the old with the new, and decrease efficiency along the way! :)

All kidding aside, an electromagnetic piston engine would be a fun and interesting project........

I've always thought that the attraction of radials was down to the fundamental sexiness of their internal movement. Take a look at this animation to see what I mean - no way a longitudinal or vee engine can be as sexy as this:

[youtube]liGPjzMJNLU[/youtube]

Jeremy

michaelplogue said:
No, no, no, no......

What you want is a radial, electromagnetic piston engine! Fuse the old with the new, and decrease efficiency along the way! :)

All kidding aside, an electromagnetic piston engine would be a fun and interesting project........

Several of these in a radial configuration.... :)

[youtube]ddG_TAXgjXs[/youtube]

My guess is that it was just push started, like quite a few early cyclemotors. Few of these low powered bikes had a clutch or gearbox. I owned a cyclemotor in the 60's, it was a single cylinder front wheel hub motor with no clutch, just a decompressor lever on the handlebars. To stop, you just turned the motor off, to start you pedalled away with the decompressor engaged (which allowed you to pedal and overcome cylinder compression) then flipped the decompressor off and the engine would start.

Jeremy

Back