Serious all-weather electric vehicle - wheels

llile

1 kW
Winter sux. I have long been thinking about electric vehicles, and the E-bike I have is a fantastic step in the right direction. I use 5c worth of electricity to commute a distance that takes a gallon of gas in a pretty efficient auto, and the electricity comes from a solar panel. I've ditched the car for more than 2/3 of my trips to town this summer, essentially only using the car or pickup when I have to go get something that can't be hauled on a bike or a bike trailer. Fantastic summer vehicle. Do the math - I am getting over 3000 mpg equivalent.

Winter is closing in though. I am a serious winter cyclist, and I've ridden on the coldest day of the year for the last 6 years. I know how to ride in cold weather. But a two-wheeled vehicle on slick snowy roads, for a long commute, in subzero temperatures isn't a challenge I can take on every day of the week. Winter here averages about 30F, dips to 0F regularly, snow tends to hang around for a week or so before it thaws enough to melt, and we can get rain at 33F, which is a deadly combination of stressors. I fear cold rain more than snow or dry cold.
a
My earlier idea about an all-weather electric vehicle was a classic donor car conversion. Ok, that's a pretty well-known path. But you start out with a heavy, inefficient frame, and start adding electric components. Hell, the wheels weigh more than my entire E-bike. Why do they need four seats? Always two side-by-side? A two seater fore and aft would have half the frontal area, thus half the friction. Cars start out with so many things stacked against them. All I really need to haul is me and a sack of groceries.

If you start out from the other end, with the E-bike, and scale that UP, instead of scaling down a car, it looks very interesting. A rough rule of thumb is that each doubling in speed takes 4X as much power. I can average 20 mph with about 400 watts in these hills, so if I wanted 50MPH speeds I'd need maybe 6X-8X as much power. 3200 watts or a little over 4 HP ought to zip down the road at a fair clip. Three wheel drive ought to work pretty well if the road is a little slippery. If it's really bad I'm back in the Tank -er- Toyota.

We've constructed several trike frames, both from bicycle parts and motorcycle parts. Some were flops, some really successful and I think we've got the idea figured out. It isn't too hard to consider building a custom tadpole trike frame. I am imagining three hub motors, for three wheel drive. Yes, I'd have to license it as a motorcycle, big deal, that isn't impossible either. Yeah, it'd need a lotta battery power to have the kind of range I need (50 miles round trip), but there would be three wheels to support the weight. Winter heat would be provided through heated motorcycle clothing, instead of heating an entire cab (inefficient). It would need a real fairing, and that is a whole interesting challenge in itself. Fiberglass, anyone?

That long introduction was to ask about wheels. Let's say someone was thinking about such an electric vehicle - is there a bike-style wheel that is up to the task? I'm imagining an extra sturdy wheel, thick spokes, and a beefy hub motor on each wheel. No pedals, no point to it. Probably 72 volts. I would likely use suspension components, as found on some mountain bikes, large cross section tires. But are there any sturdy bike wheel components up to such a task? Or is 50MPH too much force and speed for the genre?

Your target speed can be achieved with many bicycle or scooter hub motors, and you don't need to have 3, especially for the winter when cooling is not much of an issue.

It would be interesting though, to look at motorcycle hub motors. Some 13 in hubs can take alot of power, and need no spokes. Big and robust winter tires are easy to find for those...

I agree, one 4000 watt rated motor instead of three 1000w motors. Moped rims and tires, or motorcycle or scooter tires and rims.

A "motorcycle" conversion uses 1//4 the power a car conversion does. Makes sense to me for sure.

dogman said:
Moped rims and tires, or motorcycle or scooter tires and rims.

Just curious: Are there any motorcycle or scooter tires and rims that can be used on a standard bicycle? Laced to a 9C 280x rear hub, for example? If so, what are the brand and model of such rims and tires?

Your project sounds much like the BugE. I like Mark's concept a lot, and it's on my short list of viable commuters. I'd like to see one with a little better weather protection built in storage, instead of strapping a back pack to the seat.

willfcc said:
Your project sounds much like the BugE. I like Mark's concept a lot, and it's on my short list of viable commuters. I'd like to see one with a little better weather protection built in storage, instead of strapping a back pack to the seat.

I'd agree with the above opinion. I worked with a group of college students who built and modified one. Now working with group of high school students to build one. What we learned is that for what it is, it is pretty well executed. As with anything, there are trade-offs.

If you took a BugE and added some sort of soft cover around the back to keep rain from blowing in when parked and added hardcase saddle bags, you'd probably be in the sweetspot. It is actually a lot drier than it looks when you are driving it in the rain. Still, a raincoat for the driver would be helpful. It is not alot warmer than it looks however. The number one complaint of the students who did the test driving was that below 30 deg. F, it was very cold on the hands, even with the windscreen.

One thing I did not expect is that there is a lot more chain noise than you'd expect. The small front sprocket combined with hitting the resonance frequency of the fiberglass canopy is actually pretty loud. I vastly prefer the ebike when the weather is accomodating.

EDIT: Also, the ride is pretty rough. There is very little in the way of a suspension. But then again, if you improved everything you could, the weight would go up and the efficiency down and pretty soon you have a Leaf.

SamTexas said:
Just curious: Are there any motorcycle or scooter tires and rims that can be used on a standard bicycle? Laced to a 9C 280x rear hub, for example? If so, what are the brand and model of such rims and tires?
There's some info about that within JohnRobHolmes' custom wheel thread, and I don't have a link but there was at least one other thread talking about that, specifically. I am also accumulating a tiny bit of info (not much yet) over in my new bike build thread, on the last page or so right now.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31255&start=90

I've been thinking about this commuting, (I have a fairly long one, 75kms each way), vehicle for at least 3 years now,. I really like tilting 3 wheelers, and right now my favourite is a delta with the whole power module over the 2 rear wheels, basically a glorified trailer with the front pivoting/rotating like a motorcycle, inline seating and shaped like a jet. I know, I know, it's been done before but I want to build it simply in my garage with a simple elegant rotating pivot. I think it could handle snow ok which is my main concern. Anyway great topic. :wink:

briogio said:
I've been thinking about this commuting, (I have a fairly long one, 75kms each way), vehicle for at least 3 years now,. I really like tilting 3 wheelers, and right now my favourite is a delta with the whole power module over the 2 rear wheels, basically a glorified trailer with the front pivoting/rotating like a motorcycle, inline seating and shaped like a jet. I know, I know, it's been done before but I want to build it simply in my garage with a simple elegant rotating pivot. I think it could handle snow ok which is my main concern. Anyway great topic. :wink:

Tadpoles vs: Delta: Think about a high speed turn. A tadpole configuration puts one wheel right at the outside corner, preventing a tipover. A delta configuration has no such protection. Several motorcycle mfgrs made delta trikes years ago, and were sued out of existence because of tipovers. Now delta motorcycles are back in style, I am surprised, it is an inherently poor design for cornering. I'd use a tadpole configuration. The geometry of the steering isn't that complex, and a center-hinge as you are describing would be dead simple.

llile said:
briogio said:

Tadpoles vs: Delta: Think about a high speed turn. A tadpole configuration puts one wheel right at the outside corner, preventing a tipover. A delta configuration has no such protection. Several motorcycle mfgrs made delta trikes years ago, and were sued out of existence because of tipovers. Now delta motorcycles are back in style, I am surprised, it is an inherently poor design for cornering. I'd use a tadpole configuration. The geometry of the steering isn't that complex, and a center-hinge as you are describing would be dead simple.

I agree with you, but the leaner tadpoles have always looked pretty complicated to me to pull off in your garage. Do you have any names, or images, of simple ones?

In the "E-Scooters and Motorcycles General discussion " board, there is a thread "Free to Caster". It's about what you are wanting, but, it has other ideas as well.

Back