Shorten Bafang Controller Wires

McFly Motors

100 µW
Hey guys! So as you guys know the Bafang mid drive bbso2 750W wires can be a bit cumbersome. So I took it upon my self to cut the wire in attempt to shorten the wiring by 9". Their is 8 wires inside the main cable and there about 28AWG this is where I'm getting confused, does any one recommend a way to reconnect this wires. I tried to electrical tape them together but had no luck with the tape sticking. So I'm thinking about soldering the wires together and then using micro heatshrink to get a better seal. But does anyone know of any 8pin 28AWG connectors that I could use for an easier way to plug and play. I've been looking through computer hardware magazines to find ribbon cords but have not had any success.
Thanks!

Attachments

• wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,537
The best way to join them is to solder them together and insulate them individually with shrinktube plus one larger shrinktube over the lot so that no coloured wires show.

Good thing they're color coded or you'd have a lot of fun on your hands. You'll definitely want to twist them together and then solder. Heat shrinking each individual followed by a big heat strink over the lot is your best bet.

SOLDER!!

If your original intent of shortening wires was to make them look cleaner, connectors will only erode your efforts. Solder them and take the opportunity to jacket them in nylon sheathing while you have it cut.

So I ended up twisting the small wires into J's which allowed them to be hooked together while I soldered them. As twisting wasn't giving them enough friction to stay put. I then used 3M nano heat shrink to shrink the small wires individually and then overlayed the entire connection with larger heat shrink.
Thanks for the help. Thanks scooterman for the link, didn't see that before I finished, but going to order a few and see how they work.

Back