• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Should Always Monitor Lipos While Charging..

What was the process/event that triggered this disaster? What kind of charger? What was the ambient temperature? What voltage and Ah capacity was the battery pack? How many packs were being concurrently charged?

I'm asking all these things as I am just about to connect my new collection of 22.2v 4Ah LiPo packs to the Accucel-8 charger for the first time.

Thanks for the warnings.

Lock,

That had to be an intentional fire for video purposes.

I should add:

1.) NEVER PICK UP A SMOLDERING LIPO WITH YOUR BARE HANDS (Is this guy serious, it's why I assume it was a forced fire)
2.) NEVER USE YOUR HANDS TO PULL WIRING, IF IT'S HOT ENOUGH... YOUR FINGERS ARE BYE BYE.
3.) NEVER BURN A LIPO NEAR YOUR CAR (that could have been a total disaster for the dude)
4.) Bad music and footwear will cause your lipo packs to burn {okay this one is BS}

And clarify... Monitoring doesn't need to be human, could be temp sensor and current/voltage monitor with active disconnect but monitoring the process (with your eyes) is a good practice.

Charging outside is the best solution (when possible) - see all that lithium smoke? Don't want to be breathing that crap!
If you must charge inside... use an old oven as a "chamber" - venting would be a good idea.

-Mike

Ypedal said:
Can't imagine why you would ever kick that near your car... :shock: yikes... i woulda footballed that as far away from the house as possible !

Breaking rule #1 - neveer touch them with your hands (I assume you mean pass a football as in American Football, otherwise I guess you'd be kicking it right?)

Ypedal said:
Can't wait to strap like.. 8 of these or so on my RC bike !! woot !. :lol:

Just 8 of them? They appear to be 5000mah 5S packs so... 20S2P? I've been expecting the 8000mah and 10000mah pouches (and the 8s are now available at 20C) for months.. Just to make 2S worthwhile (10AH isn't really much capacity) and get 16-20AH in a pack build.

-Mike

I don't monitor narthing when charging. I slow charge on the concrete floor in the garage though. Kind of hard to monitor with cheap slow chargers that take 8 hours. Haven't had a problem yet.. like 99.75% of lipo people don't I'm sure.

vanilla ice said:
I don't monitor narthing when charging. I slow charge on the concrete floor in the garage though. Kind of hard to monitor with cheap slow chargers that take 8 hours. Haven't had a problem yet.. like 99.75% of lipo people don't I'm sure.

Slow charge = lower powered and less likely to cause thermal run away (unless charger over voltage error occours or 1C-2C rate (charge rate) is surpassed).

But you follow the common sense golden rules - out of the house and not in a flamable area (garage floor sounds perfect, I just don't have a garage so I use my oven or front porch and BBQ grill weather permitting).

One question... if you know how long the max charging durration should be, have you considered a timer to automate the disconnect?

-Mike

That sounds like a nice and powerful little pack! Should be very light weight and compact.

I'm using Konions, so I really have very little to worry about with over charging. My cells won't explode. I even punctured one with a hammer and nail to test out how durable they are, and it didn't catch fire, or even smoke.

Good thing that nothing more happend and he did noticed it.

Go to the toilet for a min or two and come back to a half burnning carport. :?

Back