Show us you diy LED lamp!

steveo

100 kW
Here is something i found on google.... rediculous for a 24w led lamp .. very well built!!!...

Could anyone translate the text? I couldn't figure it out

http://www.kolumbus.fi/hietala2/jukka/teholed/teholed.htm

valo8.jpg

valo6.jpg

Who could forget Doctorbass headlamp!!! ..

file.php

notice the glass lens on this led! i forgot to get this when i did my led lamp :(

file.php

check out these guys for some excellent selection of leds!!!!!

http://www.dealextreme.com/
-steveo

View attachment headlights.GIF
http://k3pgp.org/video/LightsAtNight.wmv
I guess I forgot to say that the goal of this project wasn't making the brightest LED headlight, but trying to make the most efficient light with what I had available at the time. This was done enough years ago that it's now kind of dated as there has been tremendous progress in LED technology. Although my current technology 3 watt LED is brighter, the light output for 2.1 watts (175 ma TOTAL for BOTH LIGHTS) is still pretty hard to beat in terms of light output vs watts.

Using Google to translate from Finnish to English, this is what you get. It's still pretty rough, but it's somewhat understandable.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kolumbus.fi%2Fhietala2%2Fjukka%2Fteholed%2Fteholed.htm&sl=fi&tl=en&history_state0=
or
http://tinyurl.com/yfr2x43

Unfortunately, he doesn't give part numbers for the LEDs.

Ambrose

ambroseliao said:

Ambrose

Its a Osram Ostar 6 DIE LED, less efficient than the new cree XPG LED...you would have more light driving 6 XPG's with the same power...(2200lm)...multy die LEDs need a big reflector to get a good hot spot...normally means a heaver light...

K

I love that 100mm LED :D

I will have to add it to my ever increasing list of projects. Seeing as its connected to a wall socket I wouldn't be able to resist making it brighter with a 7xXP-G LED MCPCB from cutter.com.au.

Anyway, this might be appropriate seeing as there are quite a few trike riders on here.
finished-trike.jpg

Uses 4 XR-E Q5 Cree LED's with Ledil square opics. Optics at the front are wide beam while the optics on the handle bars that turn with the wheels are narrow beam.

Its controllable using a switch in the grip and a dim POT. Can be driven at 100mA ot 1A and anywhere between. At max its about 12W. The power comes from 12s NiMh AA cells housed in a box at the back of the bike. The box also contains an inbuilt 12S charger and the LED drivers.

If your after more details/beam shots etc there is a development blog documenting its construction.

This isn't exactly diy...but it is a quick solution to a busted lamp. Someone else may have already thought of this but I had the idea a while back and actually use this as my primary setup.

Take your $4 wal-mart led lamp and a "small" bungee you have lying around and do this:

BL1.JPG
BL2.JPG
BL3.JPG

ktronik said:
ambroseliao said:

Ambrose

Its a Osram Ostar 6 DIE LED, less efficient than the new cree XPG LED...you would have more light driving 6 XPG's with the same power...(2200lm)...multy die LEDs need a big reflector to get a good hot spot...normally means a heaver light...

K

I know that but when i built my first 4 LED lamp using these ostar 420lm star leds.. they wat the best of the best on the market.. now they are outpassed by the new 900lm Cree SSC-P7 LED... 90 lumens per watt !

If i replace every of the ostar bt the new CREE I wold "just" double the output!

But what i really like about the ostar is that the white color is very similar to thungsten.. a bit above 4000K and have the similar spectrum than HID..

Doc

Attachments

• P1040997_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    P1040997_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3,544
  • P1040998_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    P1040998_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3,545
  • P1040999_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    P1040999_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3,541
  • P1050001_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    P1050001_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3,536
  • P1050003_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    P1050003_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,534
  • P1050004_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    P1050004_1024x768 (Medium).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,532
Dang Doc, that is a NICE lamp! :shock:

Nice work doctor, do you think wind chill would be enough on the heat sync for something like that on a fast bike? I was thinking of something like that for my ride but with a full and a half power (two light) mode.

julesa said:
How is the heatsink attached, thermally conductive epoxy?

The heatsink is fixed with a screw on the center of each lamp aluminum disk on the base plate (not visible) and using thermal paste.

The celeron heatsink is just perfect for any outside temperature!.. it is almost for condition where the ebike is stoped cause at the speed i go, the wind chil is enough to cool down the 4 LEDs.

60Watts total. they are 18.5V each so i use a Boost converter DC-DC to step from 12V to 18.5V and 700mA per led. I also have a 0.3ohm resistor in serie with each LED to balance the current when all 4 are connected in parallel.

Total power consumption with the fan: 67Watts.. total measured LUX: 10800lux at 1m avg on a 2square foot surface.... I get around 1500 real lumens.. with a white perfectly color balanced.

I CAN REALLY FEEL THE HEAT GENERATED BY THE LIGHT FLUX ON MY HAND!!!

More then enough at high speed in the forest during night !!! :mrgreen:

Next step: 2800lumens upgrade!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
julesa said:
How is the heatsink attached, thermally conductive epoxy?

The heatsink is fixed with a screw on the center of each lamp aluminum disk on the base plate (not visible) and using thermal paste.

The celeron heatsink is just perfect for any outside temperature!.. it is almost for condition where the ebike is stoped cause at the speed i go, the wind chil is enough to cool down the 4 LEDs.

60Watts total. they are 18.5V each so i use a Boost converter DC-DC to step from 12V to 18.5V and 700mA per led. I also have a 0.3ohm resistor in serie with each LED to balance the current when all 4 are connected in parallel.

Total power consumption with the fan: 67Watts.. total measured LUX: 10800lux at 1m avg on a 2square foot surface.... I get around 1500 real lumens.. with a white perfectly color balanced.

I CAN REALLY FEEL THE HEAT GENERATED BY THE LIGHT FLUX ON MY HAND!!!

More then enough at high speed in the forest during night !!! :mrgreen:

Next step: 2800lumens upgrade!

Doc

Hey Doc,

I can't wait to get my leds to come in!!! .. 3600 lumes!!!! @ 40 watts ...

doc do you have any flashing led lights, I've heard from a bike shop .. led lights that are on as a steady beam arn't visable enough or distracting to a driver .. however if you add a flashing led maybe a bit distant from your main led .. makes your bike more visable!

-steveo

I've been having excellent results with the 3 watt CREE MR-16 lamp. It consists of three 1 watt lamps in one case and pulls approx 300 ma at 12 v for 240 lumen output. Although the case looks like plastic, it is aluminum, probably for heatsinking.
MR16-3_x.jpg
What I like about it is it's bright, has a 15 degree beamwidth (which I've found to be just about right for the type of riding I do) and there is nothing to fool around with. Just mount the lamp and connect it to 12 v and away you go. :mrgreen: Not too bad at 80 lumens per watt!

There are brighter lighting systems but really how bright does it have to be? There comes a point where all you end up doing is producing more light than you really need at the expense of draining your battery. For me this was all the light I need for going at speeds between 30 and 35 MPH.

I don't have a photo of it on the bike but I'll add it when I get a chance to take a photo.

Average price for the lamp is around 30 $US including shipping...

It also comes in a 40 degree beamwidth which I found to be too wide. The wider beamwidth ends up sending light where I don't need it with the result that the beam appears dimmer where I really need it.

Specifications

Bulb Type MR16 3x 1 Watt CREE LED GX 5.3 Base
Life time 50,000 Hours
Color White (6000K)
View Angle 15 Deg
Light output 240 Lumens (about 20 watt of a halogen)
Operating Voltage 12 V AC / DC
Consumption 3.2 Watt
Product Diameter 1.96" or 50 mm
Product Length 1.9" or 48 ml

Also comes in warm white which I do NOT like for bike use...

I got mine at ledwholesalers_inc on eBay or:
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/
3 x 1 Watt 12 Volt MR16 CREE XLamp XR-E WHITE 240 Lumen
or
3 x 1 Watt 12V MR16 CREE 7090 XLamp LED WHITE 240 Lumen

I ran across this chart and thought it may be of interest:
LEDvsHAL.gif

Photos of 3 x 1 Watt 12 Volt MR16 CREE 7090 XLamp XR-E WHITE 240 Lumen LED lamp that I just got today...
View attachment 2
LED02.jpg

Pulls around 300 ma at 12 vdc but can also run on 12 vac....

No heatsink is required. It's built into the lamp. Body is aluminum NOT plastic as it appears...

I chose not to use a socket and have been soldering wires directly to the pins on the lamp with no ill effects.

This is the brightest LED lamp I've seen so far for the current being consumed.

30 US$ including shipping from ledwholesalers_inc.

See previous post for more info...

bikeraider said:
Doctorbass said:
I CAN REALLY FEEL THE HEAT GENERATED BY THE LIGHT FLUX ON MY HAND!!!, More then enough at high speed in the forest during night !!! :mrgreen:
Next step: 2800lumens upgrade! Doc

Come on Doc did I need to buy (4) 900 lumens flashlight (3600 lumens total) to beat you new head light set up ?, I'm just kidding you :lol: Anyway 1800 lumens is really still impressive to me.

Good day and take care my friend!
Bikeraider

I have bought them, so i will beat docs setup hahaha :twisted:

-steveo

steveo said:
bikeraider said:
Doctorbass said:
I CAN REALLY FEEL THE HEAT GENERATED BY THE LIGHT FLUX ON MY HAND!!!, More then enough at high speed in the forest during night !!! :mrgreen:
Next step: 2800lumens upgrade! Doc

Come on Doc did I need to buy (4) 900 lumens flashlight (3600 lumens total) to beat you new head light set up ?, I'm just kidding you :lol: Anyway 1800 lumens is really still impressive to me.

Good day and take care my friend!
Bikeraider

I have bought them, so i will beat docs setup hahaha :twisted:

-steveo

Hey Steveo, since you consider my light setup as your reference, I'm satisfied :wink:

Hey Doc,

How did you end up mounting the headlight to your bike? ... Zip ties LOL ...

do you have any photos avaliable?

Why not using brute Photons!!!

50Watts! ... ONE LED... 4000lumen max :twisted:

Make snow melting in front of your ebike!!! :mrgreen:
sku_5766_1.jpg

Doc

steveo said:
Hey Doc,

How did you end up mounting the headlight to your bike? ... Zip ties LOL ...

do you have any photos avaliable?

That's a combinaison of Tie Zip, "L" aluminum bar and screw

Doc

bikeraider said:
Steveo,

I bought (2) TrustFire P7-F15 SSC P7-WC 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight, presently a think that it will be enough, if not I will add another one for 2700 lumens.

Doctorbass lighting set up are really impressive me last summer. I have at that time (2) 20 watts halogen head lamps on my electric motocross and it was absolutely nothing comparing of Doc lighting.

I show you one picture of the flashlight, good day!
Bikeraider

Hey

I've purchased for of these leds; I will be building my light setup close to docs.. I've always used one 20w led without the proper glass lens .. and it just isn't enough ..an entire overhaul of my headlight is definatly needed..

what i love about these leds is it will work with one 18650 cell!!!! If i put high ah pack together .. i should get awsome runtime .. and very light pack due to the voltage required!!!

Could anyone advise on how i would go abouts poviding the correct current to these leds using a resistor, I think doc mentioned to me he used a resistor to restrict the current a bit to not damage the leds .. however .. i think its not required..

the SSC P7 led 10w lamp need 2.8a @ 3.7-4.2v i believe.

-steveo

Anybody know of a good red rear light that will take my 9v power supply and I can call it a day? Ideally, one that has multiple modes (or at least on-off-blink). I've been looking on dx and other sites without much coming up. I really don't want to have to build my own and then make a case for it...

Hi NeezyDeezy,

I have a couple of tail lights, one is the Planet Bike Blinky Superflash on my helmet and a DX tail light.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R40JE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3639

The Superflash is supposedly one of the brightest available. I have built a working prototype of Ktronik's The Blinder tail light and it blows the Superflash away!

http://picasaweb.google.com/ambroseliao/TheBlinderWorks#5395631406943924498

It may be challenging, but it's well worth the effort. I really need to get mine done and in use. I commute by bike and it's completely dark when I get close to my home!

Ambrose

Back