• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Show Us Your Homemade Battery Housing

Thanks spinningmagnets... here is the finished box, minus paint.

Clay

Attachments

• P1040018.JPG
    P1040018.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 6,731
  • P1040020.JPG
    P1040020.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 6,731
  • P3160547.JPG
    P3160547.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 6,731
Although I prefer the rectangle cross-section PVC tube for better support of the LiPo bricks, I like the location of these round PVC's. (flyinmonkie from NZ again)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19841&start=105#p338311
file.php

Thanks spinningmagnets. The batteries were wrapped in ultralon foam padding and couldn't move in the tubes. The round tubes gave me just enough room to fit the wiring beside the batteries easily. The batteries wouldn't fall out even if held upside down with the lid off. I went to the big box as the tubes limited me to only four lipo bricks and I wanted more range. It also shortened all the wiring and put all the electronics in the box instead of spread around the bike.

I do miss being able to pick the bike up from the top tube and I did like the of it in that configuration though.

Clay

TANKS.jpgView attachment 1board track 6.jpgSomeone suggested wood so I went with that. Light easy to work with. Catches fire. I can put two 14s packs in there.

Not much of a log or extended procedures. Just watched some take this Specialize frame out of their trunk and put it next to the dumpster. Liked Indians so designed the tank to use t-nuts to hold it up to the frame with copper straps. Velcro to hold the cover on but did not need it. Just hook the lexan on with #6 screw heads. Easy to take the sides off (see jpg TANKS). Hide the wires in the oil can. Rhino Lite rims, Old Schwinn handlebars up side down. Hand stitched vinyl covers on the grips. No CA but thinking of a tiny led voltage display in some stealthy place to monitor the discharge. For Sale at some point without Batts. Seat was moved forward from this pic. Tank cone made of balsa wood.

Attachments

• sides.jpg
    sides.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 7,056
my battery box is made of ABS sheets, aluminum sheets,
mounted low in the frame
with low L C of Gravity for beautiful handling

18754963-FC1D-47F5-A16A-F789DFCD4D3A-10766-00000B37AD67296A_zps4a1e5324.jpg

Here is my DIY lipo holder.

16 blocks of 3s 40c 4ah zippy flight max loco
Paralleled inside by my custom phase bus bars and balance tap strip board bus bars in 3s4p blocks. Able to separate the pack into two halves of 6s4p and parallel to charge on one bc168.

Casing is manrose PVC ducting. clamps are hydraulic pipe clamps with the hole made larger using a simple hole saw. pack is about as low c o g as I could get and make the bike handle way better than my other one with a seat post mounted vertical pack.

A lot of work went into those, very nice. I have built and am still finishing some carbon fiber and its a crazy amount of work.
Great job!

Battery and Controller enclosure made out of scrap(oxidised copper) double sided PCB.
P6280589.JPG
P6300598.JPG

Attachments

• P7010605.JPG
    P7010605.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 6,348
  • 20121229_165414.jpg
    20121229_165414.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 6,348
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 6,348
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 6,348
Spooky1, this is an incredibly professional-looking battery box and controller set! Do you have the links for the individual parts for those who might wish to copy some part of it?

BatteryEnclosure.jpg

I am always impressed by the DIY hardshells; really nice work there! I wish I had a garage for projects like that. Through the years I have made several assemblies leveraging hand tools and an industrial walking-foot sewing machine.

IMG_1183.jpg

This is the Chilly Hilly version with the Triangle Bag & Rear Boot bag. Easy to find these items at most bike-handy stores. The Triangle bag came with my kit from Ebikes.CA, and the boot bag came from REI. I used high-density closed-cell foam for protection. I could fit 6 to 8 batteries in the Triangle, and up to 14 in the boot bag.

P0-modified-side.jpg

For my first cross-country road trip in 2010, I moved all the batteries to the panniers. A simple aluminum shield was constructed to retain the shape and prevent crushing. See below...

Battery_OrtliebBag0.jpg

Battery_OrtliebBag1.jpg

Though it could hold up to 12 per side, I used 9 for each pannier so as to have room for food.

Then I created a large capacity battery bag assembly using two camelback bags sewn together. It went through a few permutations until I found a configuration that prevented it from getting wet. Each side holds 9 batteries.

P0-Dec2010-15S10P-Side.jpg

Original w/ boot bag strapped on board.

Spec.Rockhopper1991.WinterWhiteFaring.jpg

Started adding fairing bits of shielding...

Spec.Rockhopper1991.WinterYJFaring2.jpg

Full-wrap of HDPE, though still getting wet.

P1-Mods.2011.2.jpg

The pre-2WD version has a double-wrap around the bag: Tough marine vinyl inner wrap is water-repellant, with a high-contrast wind-slippery HDPE outer wrap which makes it easy to wipe down and keep clean.

Then I built a trailer that used two Sears Craftsman toolboxes to carry the largest assembly for my 2011 road trip.

PreLaunch05.jpg

Inside view: The front is to the left. Though it could hold more, I settled on 15 per side.

BatteryPackaging.jpg

In addition, I have a saddle bag made from two Timbuk2 Front bike bags that lays over the top of the triangle assembly; it's on the right and each side holds 6 batteries. The left packaging is for the trailer and allowed me to quickly remove it for balancing when required. The center packaging is for the panniers.

Altogether – it looked like this for the 2011 road trip:

P1&P2.Spanaway.jpg

I continue to scheme up ideas with necessity being the mother of invention. Lots of ways to skin the kitty. Though I still pine for a really nice hard-covered solution as the ultimate protection against the unwanted collision :wink:

Safe travels, KF

I would love to see how the wires enter/exit this gorgeous case!

spinningmagnets said:
Spooky1, this is an incredibly professional-looking battery box and controller set! Do you have the links for the individual parts for those who might wish to copy some part of it?

BatteryEnclosure.jpg

Wow, thanks! Sure I'd love to help if people want to know.

The main body is simply an 'ABS Project Box' from fleabay, they come in all sorts of sizes and 3 colours-Black/White/Grey. They are very study and flame resistant apparently.

The aluminium surround is just 1.5mm thick and bent to accommodate the Alien ESC, I wanted them separate to keep them both cool.

The ESC is one of Bruno's Alien Powered ESC, he is on here as Bruno Tollot, tbh the ESC makes the box look amazing.

ambroseliao said:
I would love to see how the wires enter/exit this gorgeous case!

Thanks Ambroseliao! I am waiting on a few more parts which should be here soon, then ill do a open lid shot!

Back