Single-speed e-bike?

E-assist is available up to 25 km/h

Crazy Europeans... :D

I am sure some here on ES could help you maybe "mod" that bike to help keep up w/the "spandex crowd"... Gotta remember though, to *pretend* you are pedaling... Throwing in a little huffing and puffing never hurt either...

L

Lock said:

I am sure some here on ES could help you maybe "mod" that bike to help keep up w/the "spandex crowd"... Gotta remember though, to *pretend* you are pedaling... Throwing in a little huffing and puffing never hurt either...

L
I know, 25 km/h sucks, but that's what the EU has decided :?
If I go for this bike I do have modification plans, screw the law :twisted:

My main bike is rear drive. Like it a lot. But it is built to be a hill-combed to deal with my topography.
Depending on your needs... front drive might be option?
Take a look at Eskimo's setup. Pretty ideal all-rounder? Front drive, with a Shimano 3 speed rear hub.
And if I remember right from other posts, he does some seriously long rides on it.

mailmanx said:
Lock said:

L
I know, 25 km/h sucks, but that's what the EU has decided :?
If I go for this bike I do have modification plans, screw the law :twisted:

A change is going through consultation- 20mph/30kph

usual thing- ordinary uk non-ebikes organisations against it. But it's an EEC thing, iirc one country has been an early adopter already (Switzerland if I remember correctly).
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25981
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/uk-opposes-europe-on-new-e-bike-law-proposals-33148/

I'm going to be running a high-powered setup with a Cromotor, torque sensing BB, KMX trike. So I've been thoughtfully considering this for a while...

I'd like to be able to limp home.

Trouble is, It'll be impossible to get over 25mph (which is often but not always fine) on a 16t freewheel with a 60t front ring on a 21.3" Pirelli ML75... a 24" wheel helps, and ups my top speed, but then I'm back to running bike tires on the rear and carrying a rear AND front spare tire/tube with me.

I might ditch the crazy chainring and torque BB and go with 20" all around, pirelli in the back, and a lower gearing for crawling on trails, getting off the line fast, and so forth. If I find that I like spinning, maybe go to shorter cranks... but I'm super tall so probably not. We'll see. At any rate, under 25mph is a good speed to stay stealth. I'll still hit arterial roads at 35mph though, and I won't be able to fake human-only power =) even with panniers hiding the Cromotor and most/all of the battery.

I'd like the Schlumpf, but if I'm going to pedal at high speed, I'd want it to be torque based control. Which brings me back to the THUN BB. Which brings me back to gearing issues. Which brings me back to sticking with limp-home gearing.

Hey Northumb!

So, that wall that Hadrian built still keeping out the "barbarians"? Looks like us barbarians on ES maybe snuck in through the back door... Hehe... Yah, so I'm just a hoser (Canadian, eh?), but I did get to live in Croydon, when it sat in Surrey, before it got lumped in with that mega-city to the north. Did get to see lots of castles, etc, but nEVer made it to "castle central" (Northumberland), unfortunately...

Sorry for the OT... Just to stay "on topic", really impressed with that Schlumphee thingee... A bit spendy for me though, at the moment.

L

Lock said:
Hey Northumb!

So, that wall that Hadrian built still keeping out the "barbarians"? Looks like us barbarians on ES maybe snuck in through the back door... Hehe... Yah, so I'm just a hoser (Canadian, eh?), but I did get to live in Croydon, when it sat in Surrey, before it got lumped in with that mega-city to the north. Did get to see lots of castles, etc, but nEVer made it to "castle central" (Northumberland), unfortunately...

Sorry for the OT... Just to stay "on topic", really impressed with that Schlumphee thingee... A bit spendy for me though, at the moment.

L

OT again
Yep, there's all kinds of castles and old buildings, priories and stuff up here, and lots of ruins. Must have been a lot of bother with the neighbours- the Scots used to like to pop over for the odd raid or two. The Romans stopped before they got this far (by 10 miles) so there mustn't have been anything here they could exploit.

And I think everyone has seen Alnwick castle- probably better known as Harry Potters Hogwarts.

Rather than buy a one speed bike and hope the gear is just right
I recommend you buy a multispeed bike and just select the BEST speed for your
riding style. I have a 7 speed beach cruiser and I Almost never leave 4th gear
but if I ever run out of juice on my hill -topper, I can always switch to first gear
and limp home uphill if necessary. BOTTOM LINE: You can always remove gears but
it is not cost effective to add them.

While that is true... some of us, especially those of us with large motors like a cromotor, have to either go with a single speed or pay lots for a planetary BB drive to get two, and give up on using a torque sensing bottom bracket.

I've been impressed with the 2nd generation Lyft/Motivate Bikeshare single speed ebikes used in the New York and Washington DC bikeshare systems, they have a torque sensor, rear hub motor by TDCM, 52v battery, and 7A controller producing 350w peak, they pull like a champ up hills. This big motor, single speed approach, seems to be popular too on cruiser bikes from Electric Bike Company and Pedego: for example the changes Pedego made to their 2nd gen Latch V2 folding model where they replaced the 36v 250w front hub and Nexus 3 IGH combo, with a 52v 500w rear hub motor and 18a controller, single speed, plus throttle.

Last edited:
My single speed ebike is geared for an easy pull away so when under throttle control is basically an e-moped, pedaling beyond 8 or so mph would require narcotics to maintain. (not a road legal ebike btw)

pretty much the same as any geared e-bike when e-power exceeds the gearing with a single speed it simply happens a lot sooner. and makes for a great hop on and ride solution, more for the destination focused rider than the soul that seeks exercise

Back