• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Smallest hub motor with internal controller

ic3wall

1 W
Hi guys,

What's the smallest hub motor with internal controller ? I would like to build a very "sleeper" ebike ...

I want something so discreet that somebody who doesn't know about ebike couldn't tell it's electric. Something around 500W is more than enough. Preferably in the rear wheel.

Thanks for you suggestions!

ic3wall said:
Hi guys,

What's the smallest hub motor with internal controller ? I would like to build a very "sleeper" ebike ...

I want something so discreet that somebody who doesn't know about ebike couldn't tell it's electric. Something around 500W is more than enough. Preferably in the rear wheel.

Thanks for you suggestions!

No such motor exists.

The closest you'll get is made by keyde, but it has a pretty bad reputation of being unreliable and far from the capacity you call for.

Your next best bet might be a Q100h. Q100h can handle over 500w for a short period of time (depending on many variables), but it's continuous rating is 350w. If you need a 500w hub motor, the smallest that you'll find for this might be a mac, ezee or bafang BPM. Checkout places like ebikes.ca, em3ev.com, bmsbattery.com and greebikekit.com.

I would be very happy with 350W continuous.

The distance I need to travel is about 2-3km and I would need the motor as an assistance.

ic3wall said:
I would be very happy with 350W continuous.

The distance I need to travel is about 2-3km and I would need the motor as an assistance.

I completely neglected to mention this, but all other motors except the keyde use external controllers.

zerogee said:
The Golden Motor Magic Pie and Smart Pie use internal controllers. The latest version 4 have the new Vector sinewave controllers. The Smart Pie is the smaller of the two.

Smart Pie is definately too big.

Despite their bad reputation, I really like the keyde option. I'll try to read some reviews and user experiences.

I made this research too. Keyde is the smallest i founded with internal controller, however, as mentioned, it shows problematic sometimes. Maybe, Keyde is the only one so smaller with internal controller.

Another point about keyde: they have a very long delivery time.

Anyway, you´ll have to use a battery, so, you can catch a battery with controller inside. Or, if you will use lipo, put the controller with the batteries in a bag under the seat. This are the options i´ve researched.

An option of very small hub motor is Q75, get a look.

AFAIK the rear Keyde motor is the more unreliable one. I haven't heard of problems with the front one, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have them.

There is also some good (and some bad) experience with Keyde motors in the German Pedelecforum. You should not expect it to run on high power and you need to fix/replace a spring coil if I remember correctly...

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/keyde-motoren-kennt-die-jemand.17854/

You may ask there in English, too.

Afaik it is by far the smallest motor with a built in controller. It's super stealthy in the rear wheel. If you do like how the controller operates is a different story though.

Cephalotus said:
There is also some good (and some bad) experience with Keyde motors in the German Pedelecforum. You should not expect it to run on high power and you need to fix/replace a spring coil if I remember correctly...

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/keyde-motoren-kennt-die-jemand.17854/

You may ask there in English, too.

Afaik it is by far the smallest motor with a built in controller. It's super stealthy in the rear wheel. If you do like how the controller operates is a different story though.

Do you know where I could find info about how it operates ? I see that there's no throttle, it's only a pedal-assist system, which is fine with me.

It's sad that they have a bad reputation because the idea is awesome in my opinion. I'm not sure yet if I'll give it a try ..

I'm looking onto these as well. Does anyone know if it gives pedal assist at speeds above 25kph or does it cut out above this speed?

Masher_midge said:
I'm looking onto these as well. Does anyone know if it gives pedal assist at speeds above 25kph or does it cut out above this speed?

It says 150-260rpm if I remember correctly on their website. So with a bit of calculation, that brings you to roughly 31kph on a 26" wheel.

Let say I'm ready to give them a try, where's the best place to order? Aliexpress ?

I'm interested in a kit without their battery basically.

Back