Smart ebike

I think it is funny to see what people say in these articles:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/08/smart-electric-bike-goes-into-production.html

One charge from the 400-Wh lithium-ion battery can go for over 100 kilometers, but if the rider runs out of juice halfway through the ride, it can be charged through riding.

I think it is ludicrous to suggest a 400WH hour battery can propel a bike for 60 miles =0.

Furthermore of course it would be recharged trhoug riding? What is the purpose of pedalling harder to accumulate a charge to pedal less hard.

kafka-cloud said:
One charge from the 400-Wh lithium-ion battery can go for over 100 kilometers, but if the rider runs out of juice halfway through the ride, it can be charged through riding.

These are true pedal assist ebikes. If the rider stops pedaling, the motor stops too. Also this is for Europe where the limit is 25kph (15.6mph). 400/100 = 4wh/km or 6.4wh/mi. At that rate, the rider is only contributing 50% or less of the power needed. Definitely doable.

Now the other part - recharging by pedaling - is 100% ridiculous.

400 watt hours over 60 miles will not propel you at 25-30mph with minimal assist. It will however take the sting out of 60 miles of riding, at 15mph.

That's about 80watts constant for 4 hours. My 17lb road bike goes about 14mph on 80watts actual. So yeah, it's definitely doable. I just don't see much of a point in "just" taking the sting out of biking. You might as well have the motor do most of the work, and go faster.

Well, it's SMART ... you will obey! Buy one .... NOW! :lol:

That seems to be their advertising ploy. :p

I wonder if any of the smart car owners I see from time to time will now drive to the bike path THEN take out their "smart" bikes and ride them on a path and back and then drive their cars. :wink:

Not bad looking bikes, man I am soooo glad I don't live in Europe, I would be such an outlaw! :roll: :mrgreen:

Unless the bike weighted like > 20lbs, I can't see the point of it being electric at all with such anemic power.

Imagine trying to use a bike like that to then put on a rack and haul groceries! :wink:

I just watched the video on youtube.

It looks good, but needs at least front suspension.

The concept is good. The price is way too much $3k I think? Why can't a manufacturer come out with an equally good looking bike, boost the power a bit, remove the fancy expensive frame design? I think the newest Currie's are probably doing the best job from what I've seen from realistic price point manufacturers.

I'm so tired of seeing so many lame looking ebikes though. If ebikes are going to gain popularity they need to look GOOD and get their weight down, and keep price below 1k.

Looks to me a bit like a bionx with a bit better looking battery box. They do get crazy high range with assist set to a minimal level. But come to the big hills, and minimal assist is well,,,, minimal. Definitely a smart bike for Amsterdam, or any place with hills that max out at less than 5% grades. Perfect for the target market niche, the professor that lives 3 miles from campus.

It's just not my niche though. I don't mind slower, 20-25 mph, but I need to climb a long steep hill halfway to my house, and have the range to do it without fully draining the battery most days. So for me 700wh is about the minimum, including a charge while working. Daily wh is about 1000. It's not like its hard to build such a bike, it's just that a newb is more impressed with bling than with true range at speed. For 3K, it should be easy to do a $300 bike frame, $500 dd motor kit, and $700 battery with 700wh.

What's not easy, is selling it. People want the I zip price range, well under $1000. Once they get past $1000, they start really balking about exposed wires and controllers, batteries in a cheap box on the rack, etc. Enter the custom frame that costs a lot to produce in smaller lots than several million.

Back