Smoothing stator for air flow 20kw GM HPM-20 motor

Bluefang

10 kW
This could be completely the wrong idea but I have a Goldenmotor HPM 20kw motor that i am playing with. I have pull the motor apart and vented it in different areas to introduce fresh air, also going to have a suction fan working hard to pull the hot air out of the motor.

One area i have been looking at is the stator edges, they are rough as guts and not even close to been a nice area to drag a ton of air past. So my first idea is to hack at them with a flap disc on a grinder after taping the whole motor so i dont have metal dust everywhere, this will open up the air gap slightly = more flow. The problem is I am not 100% sure this is not going to cause a issue with the motor. The other option that is fairly easy is to make up a thickish epoxy and smear it all over the stator to fill in the low spots and smooth it all out, slight shrink of the air gap so probably only slight change.

Anyone have any ideas what would be the best option?
20150817_130132.jpg

smoother flow = less cooling.

more turbulence = more cooling (more air contacts surfaces to be cooled).

See the thread about cooling hubmotors like the "definitive tests" thread by JustinLE

also, if you are talking about grinding on the lamination surfaces, when yo udo that you'll short them together, increasing wasted power.

well that certainly makes my life easier. Just ignore them as a) already cools better with turbulence b) I would screw it up.

Thats good, so now the motor should be able to get mounted to the Hayabusa this weekend, may even get test ridden if my sprocket adapter arrives. Thanks for the reply Amberwolf

Back