Solar Powered 1000W ebike and algae

solbike

10 mW
This was a video review I made to show a few methods of solar powering electric bikes but mainly to review the practicality of using a tube style 48V battery that can fit within the frame of the bike. This has advantages for performance and light weight but obvious disadvantages with range. The battery used was a 48V 6.6Ah - which was the highest capacity one I could get made that would fit in a typical medium/large frame. There is a little bit of a tour through our algae biofuel laboratory too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMS5PIeyZOE

Matt - Solar Bike
http://www.solarbike.com.au

What's in the tube? I didn't catch that. Pretty small for that much amps if it's 2c battery.

Algea biofuel is going to eventually catch on, but like many other green tech, it requires the price of fossil fuel to be high to make real money from. In my town in NM, we have a company building a pilot plant, that wants to scale up. We, and you with the sun in AU, could be the new saudi's someday.

I get it about controlled research enviroments, I have a horticulture degree. But I couldn't help but chuckle about your obsessing about getting to work on solar, then when you get there you have a really nice grow room running on the grid. I do the same thing, ride the ebike 15 miles to work then fire up a mega polluting chain saw or mower. Every little bit helps, even if too small to measure.

dogman said:
What's in the tube? ... But I couldn't help but chuckle about your obsessing about getting to work on solar, then when you get there you have a really nice grow room running on the grid. I do the same thing, ride the ebike 15 miles to work then fire up a mega polluting chain saw or mower. Every little bit helps, even if too small to measure.

Hey Dogman, Maybe you can wire up an electric chainsaw to some lipo like ypedal does with his leaf blower.

btw: I just started commuting to work last week 15 miles each way (as well) and I'm stoked! I can't wait to leave for work in the mornings.
It's amazing to get in the car at the end of the week and still have a 1/2 tank of gas left. :mrgreen:

Well, at work we use a nicad powered weedwhacker, but when you have a 70 house complex to maintain that is 40 years old, you don't just need a chainsaw, you need a BIG chainsaw. 40 year old trees to prune every winter. At home it's all lipo powered mower and such.

I actually used to do handyman work for a guy and he made us use only electric power equipment on his properties. He had a big 18" chainsaw that got through anything. Even had to cut down a massive tree that had fallen in a storm and it went right through, no problem. Just an idea. Of course, that was a corded one, don't know how well it would do on lower volts.

Oh yeah, solbike, good to see the bike can hold up to a tumble. :mrgreen: Cool setup you got there.

dogman said:
What's in the tube? I didn't catch that. Pretty small for that much amps if it's 2c battery.

Algea biofuel is going to eventually catch on, but like many other green tech, it requires the price of fossil fuel to be high to make real money from. In my town in NM, we have a company building a pilot plant, that wants to scale up. We, and you with the sun in AU, could be the new saudi's someday.

I get it about controlled research enviroments, I have a horticulture degree. But I couldn't help but chuckle about your obsessing about getting to work on solar, then when you get there you have a really nice grow room running on the grid. I do the same thing, ride the ebike 15 miles to work then fire up a mega polluting chain saw or mower. Every little bit helps, even if too small to measure.

Tube cell chemistry was LMO, was stated to be 6.6Ah but it cut out at about 4.5. Can push it up to about 5Ah but the voltage drops too low on acceleration and cuts out.

And the c rate of those particular cells? Low ah output, cuts out if too much throttle. See the red flags?

To me, its a big deal to make commuter systems reliable for the long haul. Otherwise, why not just lipo it and accept the need to replace the battery more often? I think you need about double the size battery.

Back