Some custom work going on in the "Matt-Cave" :~)

recumpence said:
105 pounds with 28hp and 90 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel. :)

Hey Matt,

how much battery are you planning on carrying on this rocket and is that 105 pounds including this battery and is up to date? Do you know what the weight of the last KMX was and how much battery you carried on it? Reason I am asking is I am weighing up options of building a frame, and I can get a fairly decent guesstamate of how much material and components will total weigh, just want to compare notes.

Cheers

I have the trike assembled ans weighed. It will be exactly 100 pounds with wiring. That is with a 12S, 25 amp-hour Lipo pack. :)

That should be good for about 30 miles of typical riding.

Matt

recumpence said:
I have the trike assembled ans weighed. It will be exactly 100 pounds with wiring. That is with a 12S, 25 amp-hour Lipo pack. :)

That should be good for about 30 miles of typical riding.

Matt

Outstanding Matt! Great work! I can't wait to see the pics. :)

Best Wishes,
-Luke

You and me both.

I am trying to ballance everything, work (my daytime job), E-bike orders along with the group buy, custom builds for sale, and my own projects along with raising my family and other outside interests and commitments. It sounds like alot, but (as I have said before) we do not watch any TV. That frees up much time. Plus, my appliance repair job is only about 32 hours a week on the average. Besides, I have about 4 hours per day of windshield time. I use that time to talk on my cell phone to research things and think things through (project challenges). That way all my time at the shop is fruitful production time.

Anyway, I have also been forcing myself not to rush anything. That always seems to get me in trouble. :)

Matt

I am blown away ! Very impressed .... But one hitch is distance ..... Was expecting this Superbike would have more range .... if memory serves version #1 of your KMX build was capable of 80 miles ... OR am I mistaken. I guess my Dream bike needs to get more distance than most are capable of,as I need to be in the 100 mile round trip arena. IS THIS STILL UNREALISTIC ? Thx Harley

My first trike was good for 50 miles at 25mph or 35 miles at 40mph.

I am nearly finished with this trike. It has the same capacity pack as my first trike (with higher C cells). So, the range should be the same unless it is being ridden really hard much of the time.

Bear in mind, range is purely a matter of pack capacity as far as this project goes. I could easily double the number of cells on this trike and see that much range increase. However, that gets expensive, adds weight, makes the trike more bulky and, honestly, I never ride more than 15 miles on a typical ride anyway, unless I am range testing. That holds true for all my regular customers as well. So, this size pack is perfect. My bikes have all been sold as performance toys like sportbikes, rather than primary transportation. If I got an order for a 100 mile range bike, I could acieve that, but a couple other compromises would have to be made. This trike is a no-compromise performance project. :mrgreen:

Matt

im with Matt here, not a single cell over what you need is the ticket.

D

I don't think the batteries will be the limiting factor, most likely your neck from being yanked around at 3 g's for almost an hour. :mrgreen:

I am working on the harness today. I hope to have it finished tomorrow and running by the weekend. Heck, it may be running by tomorrow!

I am pretty confident this trike should be relatively problem free (no niggling R&D problems to work out) because it is based on my previous designs, yet improved and strengthened. All screws have been Loctited and every clearance has been checked toleranced, rechecked, etc. The only questions in my mind are (other than simple ratio and range) are------ How much sound will the motors make with all the RPM and sound dampening case? --And-- How tractable will this much power truely be? The last thing I am curious about is the individual braking. Will I like or hate it?

Anyway, I would love to keep this thing. But, for the amount of money it is worth, I would rather have the cash, especially with my income being down from my day job. However, I do have my carbon recumbent to finish up and sell. I am also getting back a hefty tax refund. Even if I do not need the money, selling this thing would make me some serious proffit for my time. :)

Matt

recumpence said:
How much sound will the motors make with all the RPM and sound dampening case?
Matt

Don't have an answer for this question but I have been spending a lot of time at DIYMobileAudio. And this site provides some bare bones theory on sound deadening - http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I ended up using Dynamat for the visco-elastic barrier on my exterior door skins. The product changes mechanical vibration energy into a very small amount of heat. :wink:

You, I used to compete in SPL. I am up on Dynamat. Dynamat adds weight to a panel drastically reducing the resonant frequency.

I hope it is not needed on my chain case. But, we chall see!

Matt

recumpence said:
I am working on the harness today. I hope to have it finished tomorrow and running by the weekend. Heck, it may be running by tomorrow!

:: gets all excited:: Im very much looking forward to seeing this beast go Matt, DO SKID DO SKID :mrgreen:

Looks like we will both have rides by the weekend too Matt! I'm waiting on the last scooter wheel for the cruiser and i am also GO GO GO :)

KiM

My problem is all the wire I have to deal with. I am trying to hide it all. That is not an easy task. Besides that, I have to route the wire around the chains and other bits on a strange conjested layout. But, I think I have it figured out. I have been using a ton of plastic screw down wire loops to route my battery harness. It is run under the boxes and under the seat. It is mostly unseen. I also am using the original bullets on the packs for easy pack removal and replacement.

Anyway, all I have left is about 2 or 3 hours of wiring and it will be running.

Man, I am actually nervous about riding this trike for the first time!

Matt

recumpence said:
My problem is all the wire I have to deal with. I am trying to hide it all. That is not an easy task. Besides that, I have to route the wire around the chains and other bits on a strange conjested layout. But, I think I have it figured out. I have been using a ton of plastic screw down wire loops to route my battery harness. It is run under the boxes and under the seat. It is mostly unseen. I also am using the original bullets on the packs for easy pack removal and replacement.

Matt

I'm way excited for you Matt!!! Wear a helmet this time. ;)

liveforphysics said:
recumpence said:

Matt

Wear a helmet this time. ;)

......Five point harness, flame suit, etc?.......... :mrgreen:

Matt

recumpence said:
ning.

Matt

I would be too. Maybe a motor cycle helmet and a set of leathers would be good until you get the feel of the trike. You have a great design, but it might away from you. I had a crash on a bicycle (no motor) and broke 7 ribs and was in the hospital for two day. Don't want you to experience the same or worse.

Bubba

Hi Matt,

Don't forget to adjust the boom so that your leg is not fully extended when pedaling. I have dropped my foot to the ground several times being careless to the road conditions, boy does it hurt :shock:

Zenon

The secrect to that problem is to learn to point your toes a bit. That keeps your feet on the pedals over bumps in the road.

I have had that happen on my recumbent a few times. My 6 year old son ran over his own leg on his little KMX kid's trike (no motor, just pedalling) and tore the skin off his toe in the process.

So, this is very good advice for recumbent users of all types. Slipping a pedal on a recumbent is a bad thing.........

Matt

recumpence said:
T
So, this is very good advice for recumbent users of all types. Slipping a pedal on a recumbent is a bad thing.........

Matt

I guess those clipless pedals would be a good idea on the trikes then Matt?

Are you on course still for some action this weekend mate?

KiM

Leg Suck... ouch..

I own a Honda 250SX trike ( 1985), i've had just about all of the 4 stroke honda trikes .. wish i could find a 250R but them's rare these days...

Anyways.. while into my trike phase i remember following a guy on a kawasaki trike along the rail road tracks on large rock gravel.. he hit a bump, foot missed the peg and hit the ground at 30 km/h, in 1 split second the tire ran up his leg, pinning his foot to the ground , sucked him right off the seat and under the trike... alot of blood followed !! ( impaled by all the gravel !.. ) I have had close calls at very low speed and busted up an ankle here and there doing wheelies and donuts.. it hurts.. alot.. but you learn damit.. :twisted:

Alright Matt.. get that thing outside and give'er ! I know it's difficult to setup the video cam when you want to get out for the maiden voyage.. but please... .. :eek:

Get some nice fat pedals! Or fat pegs if its an ATC..

Here you go Y..
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/1692787031.html

Attachments

• atc250r.jpg
    atc250r.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,253
Well, it is running! :mrgreen:

Here is the deal;

I got it all wired up and accidentally ran up the drive with only one ESC connected to the pack. With one motor running and the other seeing a high voltage feed into it, it blew (the slave ESC blew). So, I wired up another ESC and took it out. The chain promptly fell off. OK, so, I added a chain guide and tried it again. Now it is running great!

What is my impression? I actually have mixed emotions about it. First, it is freaking wildly fast. But, this I already knew. However, the chassis works so well, it sort of dampens the "Holy Crap, I feel like I am going to die on this thing" feeling. It is wierd. Even though it accellerates like a rocket and smokes the tire HUGELY, it feels very well planted and just plain runs great!

The differential braking works great, the wide rims are awesome, the throttle response is stellar, the motors run very warm, but not really hot......... Everything just works! I am thrilled!

My only concern are the HV160s I am running. They are set for 240 amps cutoff and I hit that cutoff a couple times. So, I am a bit worred about blowing them. They are not running hot. But, as many of you know, that is not the way to judge if one of these can blow.

Anyway, I feel very relieved that it is running well without any real problems. All that is left is to drill some alignment pin holes in my adjustable tillers to pin them in place because they tend to move a touch.

I will try to get some video soon.

Oh, it smokes the tire MUCH harder than my other trikes. I can tell the tire speed is far higher on this trike. I have not measured its top speed, though.

Matt

The fact that you have extras just sort of kicking around to just sub in, blows my mind.

Throttelizer board? (but you recommended one to me before, so you must have decided against one already?)

Katou

Back