some random bike questions

sami-b

1 mW
Hi, i'm brand new here and don't know much about ebikes.
Butt still i'm on my way to build one. The bike is a Cruiser
which is not so deluxe,(new price 1000sek or about $120.)
And off course the classic "Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv" whit a HK 150a esc.
anyway, the tires is stock and has lots of cracks and are worn. So while I am going to change the tires i'm thinking of upgrade the rims to.
A wider option would be nice. So were do you get those wider rims and tires?
To the driveline part, what is the best way to do? A belt on the opposite side of the chain? or just the motor direct on the chain whit freewheels and stuff? The bike is equipped whit rear hub brake, will that be a problem, except the brake ability? (Disc brakes is a later problem)

Would be thankful for some reply.
/Sami

Some pictures of the bike would help considerably, the biggest thing you have to contend with on the RC motor powering the bike is the gearing reduction.

Depending on what voltage you use (many use 48V+ but some of the friction drives can get away with much less) you might need a two stage reduction to get a total of around 24:1 to get it to reasonable speeds to propel the bike with.

Welcome to ES! :)

Is this your bike? Use the search feature on this site for rc drive. Also check out the non hub drive section if you want to use an rc motor. Welcome to the site.

Attachments

• cruiser.jpg
    cruiser.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,189
Yes thats the same bike i have.
24:1? That's very much? I don't have in mind to propel alot :p and the goal is 100km/h. but i might need more than one motor for that, but i start whit one.
Thanks, Sami

sami-b said:
Yes thats the same bike i have.
24:1? That's very much? I don't have in mind to propel alot :p and the goal is 100km/h. but i might need more than one motor for that, but i start whit one.
Thanks, Sami

I might be wrong but 100km/h and $120 cruiser dont belong together if you ask me. Id be worried if my frame could handle 100km/h and i paid $900 for an extra strong offroad frame. Just my oppinion but i would think that going much above 50km/h would be risky?

Yeah, build something slower, walk before running. You are going to need incredibly smooth pavement to go 100 kph on no suspension. Then trying to stop will get,,,, interesting.

sami-b said:
And off course the classic "Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv" whit a HK 150a esc.

Just so you know you're starting with the most difficult setup possible (yet the best IMO). Ensure you do a lot of reading on the non-hub motor forum before buying stuff. Even doing a simple hub motor build I've wasted hundreds of dollars because I ordered badly. And that was after weeks of forum research.

A wider option would be nice. So were do you get those wider rims and tires?
Check chain reaction cycles, they have good prices and selection for wider rims.

Well, this project will be a wild guess :p
but a i said, i'm not thinking of going at 100km/h as a start. thats just the goal. But you still think 24:1 is the way?
Edit: And i will reinforce the frame and add a front suspension (at any speed)
/sami

LegendLength said:
Check chain reaction cycles, they have good prices and selection for wider rims.
Maybe i'm just stupid, or my english is to poor. But i cant read the wideness of the rims :roll:
for example; 26" 10mm SS Black Rear Wheel is 10mm wide i guess? But the Spank Tweet Tweet Rim 32h Black 26inch How wide is that one?
Btw, enyone knows if there is eny 26" motor bike rims? (Maybe not the right place to ask.. :p)

Yikes.... i would not put a motor on that bike. Looks sort of cheap.
Also, it is not designed for front suspension. You will need front suspension as you get into fast speeds, for sure.
With a front suspension fork, the front of the bike will raise up, at an angle. This is not good for handling!!

I think you really need to start with a better bike, one with a solid frame, a suspension fork, room for batteries, and good rear dropouts if you want to do a hub motor..

neptronix said:
Yikes.... i would not put a motor on that bike. Looks sort of cheap.
Also, it is not designed for front suspension. You will need front suspension as you get into fast speeds, for sure.
With a front suspension fork, the front of the bike will raise up, at an angle. This is not good for handling!!

I think you really need to start with a better bike, one with a solid frame, a suspension fork, room for batteries, and good rear dropouts if you want to do a hub motor..

It i cheap. But still i bike, how good/bad can a bike frame be? :p After exchanging the rims, brakes, adding some front suspension and reinforce the frame, It will be nemas problemas :p (?)

Would you ride on a bicycle that could fall apart on you at 20-40mph?

Bikes like these are not designed to go fast. The frame does not look solid.

And i said before.. front suspension will not work very good on this bike!
You will end up adding 100mm or more of height to the front, and the angle of the bike will be wrong.

It will not ride right.

Start with a good bike, not a bad one.
Go talk to some bicycle shop people, they will tell you the same thing.

sami-b said:
[...]i cant read the wideness of the rims :roll:
for example; 26" 10mm SS Black Rear Wheel is 10mm wide i guess? But the Spank Tweet Tweet Rim 32h Black 26inch How wide is that one?

Heh yeh I had the same problem as I just bought a rim from there this week. I ended up looking for that rim's specs online and it only came in one size (width). I tried looking for the spank rim you quoted but couldn't find the specs sorry. May have to email them.

Btw, enyone knows if there is eny 26" motor bike rims? (Maybe not the right place to ask.. :p)

John in CR has looked into motorcycle rims and I'm sure he'd be able to give you some good info.

Another option is to get a 30 - 35 mm rim and put a 2.5 - 3.0 inch tyre on it. I'm running a 2.5 on a 35 mm rim front and back and the back one comes very close to the sides, so I wouldn't push it too far. But I think 2.5 inch is effectively a motorcyle tyre when it comes to bikes.

Hi, I was looking for some wide tyres/rims, and i found a Used (500km) RYZ motard moped alu frame whit tyres, alu rims w. big disc, front fork, and a hydralic front calipper And also the swing whit the coilover. But the rear calipper is missing :(
But i still think that i'm going to use the bike frame, but rebuild it so the tyres and the fork fitt.
Then we'r good for ass fast! :D or?

Back