Something to think about as we head into fall...health of ES

bigmoose

1 MW
Folks,

Once upon a time a guy tried to cheapen ES and monetize it. The good members of ES banded together, and with a unified front, and a little help (lot of help!) from Justin were able to save the board and allow it to prosper.

Now we are engaged in "the summer of discontent"... our difficulties lie within. We snap and snarl, take a shot at each other, and generally have "our dander up."

What made this happen I do not know, but I do know it is not healthy for the board.

If someone really gets under your skin, I would suggest you "foe" them for a while or forever. It will likely help to not see the posts that "aggravate" you.

The mods have had to handle quite a number of "dust ups" over the summer, and it is tiring always trying to ensure you are "fair", and are perceived as "fair", even though you may have an opinion on things. Many of you have come out to help and support and dampen things down, and I for one, and I am sure all mods and admins, thank you.

Debate any technical issue anyway you want is OK with me, tell jokes, have fun. But please leave the personal attacks at home. We got a couple more threads locked up in the mod forum today for members "going after" other members... for sport. I do not think that is the spirit of our board, or why Justin made the sacrifice that he did to maintain it.

Perhaps it is the times... perhaps the state of the world... perhaps global warming, or global cooling... I don't know the cause... but I miss our old camaraderie.

Thoughts?

The madness almost got me going,but thud wrote something down about everyone just getting along. and it got me thinking straight, before i dove in.im glad i saw his post. :wink: .

I'm relatively new to ES.
Have built 2.5 bikes, had a ton of fun, learned a lot, and please don't tell my employer how much time I've spent reading ES :wink:
In the course of ~150 posts, I did make one post response that I kind of regret.
No big deal, but... I should have just "walked away" from the original post.

I watched another group I really enjoyed a few years ago kind of kill itself, perhaps because of people taking things too seriously.
Things got adversarial and ugly. People voted with their feet and left. A loss.

Bikes are just bikes, although really pretty magical, when you think about it!. Adding electricity... just adds more magic.
(Don't mean to exclude boards, boats, etc... but I'm basically into bikes so I think in those terms.)

Anyway, thank you to everyone who participates.

The "toxic" area seems ideal for gloves-off stuff. For anything, outside of 'toxic", feels to me like bigmoose is spot on.
Strong opinions, especially with supporting data, are cool. But they are only that: opinions about electric vehicles.
No real need for heat.

And to the issue of commercialization, it was before my time, but seems Justin did something pretty special.
If we ever need community support to keep ES the ad-free place it is, hey, that is way worthwhile.

I'd tend to agree - its gotten to the point where some people here bicker like children - there are more trolls, and more people taking the bait.

I've been here for a while, and the tone of the place has gotten a tad hostile over the last couple of months.

THANKS BigMoose-
You and your fellow mods have a tough, thankless job and for zero wages.

Without ES, I would still be sitting on the couch dreaming instead of riding an e-bike year round. May civility rein so others may learn without the drama.

The foe option would be better if when you added someone to the foe list you didn't even see that they had made a post.

Call it the train wreck syndrome, but when you see that they made a post it's almost like, roll your eyes :roll: , and say, "I wonder what kinda stupid shat their saying now."

On Facebook when I block someone it's as if they don't exist.

I NEVER see their posts or even that they have made a post....... which in many cases is quite nice. :wink:

It would be wonderful if something like that could happen here. If there is a way to do that with this forum I cast a STRONG vote for doing so.

Other than that, the mods do a great job here with a difficult task. Thank you. 8)

StudEbiker said:
The foe option would be better if when you added someone to the foe list you didn't even see that they had made a post.

Call it the train wreck syndrome, but when you see that they made a post it's almost like, roll your eyes :roll: , and say, "I wonder what kinda stupid shat their saying now."

On Facebook when I block someone it's as if they don't exist.

I NEVER see their posts or even that they have made a post....... which in many cases is quite nice. :wink:

It would be wonderful if something like that could happen here. If there is a way to do that with this forum I cast a STRONG vote for doing so.

Other than that, the mods do a great job here with a difficult task. Thank you. 8)

+1

To make this happen someone needs to look into the vbulletin sw and see if that's an option and if so help the mods implement, but im all for it.

Yes, the moderation team has been through hell this summer. It's bad enough with the constant onslaught of spammers, but to have members displaying bad behavior for no useful reason is counterproductive.

The purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas and technical information. Debate on technical issues is encouraged, but personal attacks and name calling is out of bounds and not tolerated.

It only takes a few bad apples to drive away the kind of people we want to keep around.

Our collective goal is to keep ES alive and healthy, so at times we have to make some tough decisions. Not always right, but with the right goal in mind. We do our best. We've been looking at software enhancements, but it's slow work and you have to be careful not to make things worse.

full-throttle said:
bigmoose said:
Perhaps it is the times... perhaps the state of the world... perhaps global warming, or global cooling...
Not even close!

It's Chalo

Think about it

And so it continues. :roll:

I think it's probably more/less the economy and how that's been affecting the poorer demographic that visit here and, recently, probably the hot temperatures in recent months, especially in southern states. (Coincidentally, Chalo DOES live in Texas, lives in an area with a high poverty rate and his job... well...
chin.gif
)

The great recession has had it's greatest impact on the poor (The young and impoverished alike), reducing their wages to Chinese level wages in a country with American living costs and living standards, so it's understandable how that'd produce The Great Frustration among that demographic.

full-throttle said:
bigmoose said:
Perhaps it is the times... perhaps the state of the world... perhaps global warming, or global cooling...
Not even close!

It's Chalo

Think about it

I could say that I often hope that the mindless will block me out, but how would there ever be hope they could be reached?

without-imagination.jpg

Seriously folks, ES squabbles are definitely getting out of hand.

More importantly, the squabblers and other offenders are ignoring moderators pleas to behave reasonably. We hate banning people, but keep having to do it all this summer.

Riducule all the ideas you want. That's always been the ES style. But don't get personal, or take it personal when others disagree with your ideas or opinions.

Noobs with the 100th repetition of the same dumb idea get razzed for wanting their own laws of physics, but what kind of bike you like to ride should not be a reason to hate another. If you don't like somebodies comments about brakes, lico, bms's, etc don't read them.

If you choose to reply, don't take it bad that the guy does not turn around and agree with you. He's not going to. Aim your argument at the legions who are logged on and reading, who may not even be members. Those are the people you want to convince. Screw it what "that guy" thinks. Why do you even care about him? Just try to be a mentor and guide to the others who are reading.

We love a good argument about the idea, but just don't argue about the person.

You DONT own your thread. That guy you hate has the same rights to comment you do.

Maybe we should just start a venting thread. I'm not talking about a thread that you would reply to but one where you could just let everyone know what's eating you. One person posts, then another and another but remembering to keep in mind that you're not to reply or voice an opinion of anybody else's posts. I mean I'm sure a lot of our problems are relate-able and I think it would give some of us piece of mind to realize that we're not alone in our own individual voids of misery and frustration. I know this sounds kind of negative but that's not my intention.

dogman said:
Seriously folks, ES squabbles are definitely getting out of hand.

More importantly, the squabblers and other offenders are ignoring moderators pleas to behave reasonably. We hate banning people, but keep having to do it all this summer.

Riducule all the ideas you want. That's always been the ES style. But don't get personal, or take it personal when others disagree with your ideas or opinions.

Noobs with the 100th repetition of the same dumb idea get razzed for wanting their own laws of physics, but what kind of bike you like to ride should not be a reason to hate another. If you don't like somebodies comments about brakes, lico, bms's, etc don't read them.

If you choose to reply, don't take it bad that the guy does not turn around and agree with you. He's not going to. Aim your argument at the legions who are logged on and reading, who may not even be members. Those are the people you want to convince. Screw it what "that guy" thinks. Why do you even care about him? Just try to be a mentor and guide to the others who are reading.

We love a good argument about the idea, but just don't argue about the person.

You DONT own your thread. That guy you hate has the same rights to comment you do.

+2
Bravo, could not have put it any better. 8)

--

Starting threads to complain about a member is not the way to go.. ever.

ohzee said:
To make this happen someone needs to look into the vbulletin sw and see if that's an option and if so help the mods implement, but im all for it.
If ES switched to Vbulletin, you'd lose me as a reader and contributor; I can't deal with that software cuz I can't customize it as necessary for me at my browser end. (I can barely do it with PHPBB but haven't been able to do it with any other forum software at all).

For PHPBB, there are some Greasemonky scripts around that can "hide" users with PHPBB, though since they added the Foe option I don't need them anymore, and haven't followed their updates or used them in a long time. Used to be at least one of them that completely hid the entire user from your view.

Unfortuantely as a mod I can't really use any of those, cuz I have to see what's being said so that if anything really bad is going on, I can at least let another mod know about it to do something (since i try not to directly deal with anyhting except spam and for sale stuff, and stuff that's multiply-crossposted and/or misplaced, as I often misunderstand social/interpersonal stuff).

Valuable stuff you do AW. Beat you to a spammer that posted twice today. Pretty rare to catch the forum before you tidy it up.

I know this is not about the forum crazies but the newest version of the the Tapatalk 4 does not work with this forum. Earlier Tapatalk 4 versions and Tapatalk 2 worked great. I would like this to be fixed.

Just so the mods know, in the next 2-3 years people will only be using phones and not a PC because they are slow and large. Please help the tapatalk people and fix the API.

Back