SPOTTED: multi stage brushless crank driven DH bike

voicecoils

1 MW
Saw this bike at the Canberra, Australia EV festival this weekend:
DSC_0127.jpg

Here's what I know about it:
* Cyclone 1000W brushless motor and controller
* 16 3.2v10Ah lifepo4 cells from Cyclone (PSI green type)
* Rocky Mountain DH frame with Boxxer front forks.

The first stage is belt driven with the larger pulley having one way bearings. Then it goes to a chain driven second stage down to the bottom bracket and from there a third stage to from the BB to the rear wheel with a standard cassette and XT rear derailleur. (I think!)

The owner was a nice guy and the bike got lots of attention!

DSC_0128.jpg
DSC_0125.jpg

I don't have further details or contact info, but he could be on these forums! If so, say g'day 8)

I am also liking the single sided swing arm. Quite a piece of work and a nice find.

I wish there were festivals like this near me!

Gunther

thank for posting, the build is fantastic,, REally smart man, + impressive

kentlim

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
the tire is obscuring the other arm due to the offset camera angle.

Yes, that's correct it's a standard double sided swingarm. He's beefed up the drive side, the non-drive side (disk side) is stock.

According to the owner, everything could be removed in 30min bringing the bike back to it's original form.

Now that gives me an idea:

How about a single sided arm with motor incorporated into it? :)

Need bigger pics Abraham!!!

Vectrix is bankrupt. They are located near me in Portsmouth, RI. I think they are attempting to reorganize. A few years back the Providence police had a scooter from them but I havent seen it for a while. Now they just use regular bikes. My guess is it didn't hold up to the abuse they heaped on it. :roll:

I think their system was far more complex and use driven than anything I was imagining. I was just thinking if you moved the motor and integrated the bracket into that thick arm it might be interesting.

voicecoils said:
Mark_A_W said:
Need bigger pics Abraham!!!

Yes sir (as soon as my bloody shaped ADSL racks off on the 8th!)

I will post the full 10MP pics in this thread then 8)

Well, middle ground would be nice! Something a bit bigger will do.

Got a proper side view?

Voicecoils, I wish i had have known you were at the EV Festival! It would have been good to meet and put a face to one of the many names on this forum.

I didn't see this bike, was the owner there early in the day or later? Around midday it was all hub motors except for the 250W elation bike i saw.

I was very surprised/impressed that they gave ~50 people two 0-100kph-0 sprints in the Tesla!

I was a fan of the ANU fuel cell powered hybrid all weather recumbent
IMG_0550.jpg

[youtube]nBdI6LzLa1s[/youtube]

PS:

I found some better pics for you all

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Next time Boostjuice! Thanks for the extra pics. I think we did see him before noon. He was near the gokart after it had ripped around the blocked off road pulling 20kW 8)

My girlfriend and I both got Tesla Roadster rides in the first ten people or so. Simon Hackett (the owner) was awesome to give so much time to the cause :) The acceleration was fantastic.

Looks like the crank arm is spaced out a couple of inches on the right side? I think it would be a bit awkward if that is the case. Still if you aren't pedaling much it might not matter. Lots going on in that small space occupied by the motor and gearing for sure.

voicecoils said:
Saw this bike at the Canberra, Australia EV festival this weekend:

Wow! that puts my cyclone setup to shame.. and still bolts off!

feeling really sorry I missed that EV festival now!

biohazardman said:
Looks like the crank arm is spaced out a couple of inches on the right side? I think it would be a bit awkward if that is the case. Still if you aren't pedaling much it might not matter. Lots going on in that small space occupied by the motor and gearing for sure.

The standard Cyclone kits (and elation etc) come with a bottom bracket with a looong spindle so that there's room for the double chain.

I'm not sure if he's using that or modified something else but, yes it was quite wide overall.

HI
do you know if the peddals this function,as a bicycle,sorry if its a silly question,just new to geared non hub set ups,either way looks like it would be a blast to ride....

alswiseowl said:
HI
do you know if the peddals this function,as a bicycle,sorry if its a silly question,just new to geared non hub set ups,either way looks like it would be a blast to ride....

Yes, the pedals connect to the second of 3 drive stages from what I could tell.

So, both the motor and cranks drive the rear wheel through a standard 9spd bicycle chain and either can be used independently.

Back