Steel Ebike Frame EASTGEM ~600$

im in the same situation, have around 5-700 for a frame. here are the current 4 "cheap" ebike framesets

1. em3ev model, not out yet, not sure on shipping price, however paul is the man and wont sell garbage...
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=209

2. vector knockoff, several on here have this bike and no issues yet. Is it just me or are the welds a little on the eh side however? also seems to be lower to the ground than vector.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2015-hot-downhill-steel-frame-for_60182177785.html

3. denzel, east gem frame, the one in this topic. It looks good and can have it to my door for 500 and the seller guarentteed full refund if the frame is not strong. Only issue I see with it is ground clearance. However doesnt look that bad after looking at more photos. Also has the smallest of them all in battery compartment size.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Denzel-Sparts-Frame-Set/32396377346.html

4. Vector frame around 725 shipped
http://www.vectorebike.com/

If you are sure you are going hub power only it would be a no brainer for me to go the vector style because the BB is on the swing arm which means if you go single speed no stupid tensioning problems.

And that increases ground clearance both at the bb and the tensioner.

hope that helps 1kw.

Sorry to busy to search up the specs of the vectors but if the original is better in terms of what's made of weight.... and the width of the swing arm to take fatter tyres is important to as its going to be a heavy bike and might as well go moto rear rim and tyres from holmes.

good luck - me personally I want my next off road bike to be with out a hub motor as off road I want unsprung weight....

Markz, em3 ships from china.

I would have to agree, possibly for a hub the vector style might be beneficial, but not necessarily for ground clearance. I haven't heard much concensus on bb heights, but my klein was uncomfortably high at 14-15" to the bottom of the shell. Unless it's because the vector guys are running 17's in the pix I saw, it looks like theirs might be pretty high too. Also, rake, what is best.

Looks like the cheapest *yay (possible sarcasm)*, Eastgem (Sparta, or Gross frame are different battery boxes) will have a good bb height and rake once a longer rear shock is installed. I'm guessing about 8.5" from the picture/drawing.
Another biggie IMO is the accessories they sell, like the roadlegal stuff and the tires. Plus, their motors and batteries and kelly controllers could be good too. Looks like great pricing on whole bikes.

I can't wait to get the frame to play around with it. Got every thing off my shore2 just waitin!

I think I'm gonna be really pleased with this company. Any body else tempted?
I ordered several accessories, the narrow spartan frame, and a handful of tires. Great price!

I'm not sure how long the shipping will be or if/what a customs fee will cost, but these guys seem very legit, and very good to deal with. There's the language barrier, but the company seems like one on the way up.

I'll keep you guys posted.

frame-access.jpg

what battery config do you think would fit? It looks kind of like getting the fattest lipo bricks stacked on top of each other as side by side wont work.

I will be pleasantly surprised if you get more than 18s 2p about 12ah in there or something similar.

I think the dimensions may be posted on here somewhere. Lol, I did no math whatsoever. I want the lightest and narrowest steel frame, and don't want more than 15lbs of battery anyway.

I half-expect 20s 11ah 25/35c (15lb) should fit, but am considering 18-20s 50+c, for a smaller lighter 70a pack.

I am getting 2and 3 mi/ah with the klein, which is perfectly acceptable range. I'm willing to sacrifice range for power/weight/cost etc, vs some of the heavier high powered builds. Way I see it, I can always have another battery in a backpack or whatever, but mostly would never do that. 20miles is more than enough per ride for me, and that's a high octane ride, I could easily extend the range by pedalling the 70lb bike more, cuz there's 0 cogging, so it's just like I weight a bit more. Plus quick charging is nice on small packs.

Eastgem.net Markz, it's on the last page somewhere too.

I wish I wouldof specified ship quotes with a broker/courier service included, altho I'm still not sure if that is even possible with the seller as of yet.

I possess a bill of lading now, and will possess responsibility for the package once it arrives at port. Lol, looks like I'm now in the import/export business, just like . . . .

[youtube]j0Xtsi7Jcec[/youtube]

To bad I learned everything I know on the subject from George :lol:
Oh well, it's gonna be real.

nutspecial said:
I wish I would of specified ship quotes with a broker/courier service included, .

What does this mean, what all do you have to do yourself to actually get your shipment to your door?

Thanks, I am seriously considering one of these frames.

Apparently the seller is new to this market. Previously they mainly did builk, assumably more local. The shipping methods recommended for myself were not preferable because of their lack of experience.

I would recommend they quote you 'to door' shipping with automatic customs clearance etc, just like an ebay, aliexpress, bmsbattery, or em3ev purchase.

Ups air offers such a service, as I'm fairly sure others do also (dhl, ems?), if the seller doesn't know how to setup customs brokering and package forwarding.

I wouldn't recommend anything but the above unless you already have experience importing. Not fun or cheap to unexpectly take a crash course. Importing yourself could be useful for bulk shipments, but not worth it for a 30-100lb box.

OK, thanks for the heads up.
Anyone who decides to try Eastgem will benefit from your experience.
When do expect to get your hands on your frame?

Watching with interest and considering a build based on the new carbon fiber Sparta project. I think Alex is a great guy and have found him very easy to communicate with. https://mbasic.facebook.com/groups/1725239357703169?view=permalink&id=1763995287160909&refid=18&_ft_#footer_action_list

Haven't purchased yet, frames aren't slated for release until sometime in October. Pretty much figured on having to arrange shipping from my end.

Pretty much figured on having to arrange shipping from my end.

Maybe it was naive of me to assume otherwise, but the seller was misleading imo. Paypal invoice bills me and physical address, and includes 150 for shipping to us. I was told via email and it's also noted on the invoice that duty/taxes would be paid by me, which were stated to be 'small'.

Duty and taxes are small on bike parts, BUT I found out after paying and they shipped, the extent of other charges. An email came saying there would be large US customs fines if the ISF was not filed asap, which led to me talking to brokers and customs.
Turns out I NEEDED to hire a broker to pay/file the isf and bond.
450 Goods
150 "shipping"
50 Duties/taxes

So I will drive and pick it up, but the total price ends up being about 1200.
It's the frame, headset, bb cranks pedals, 3x 2.4 tyres, 2x 3" tyres, 2x twist throttles, and alarm/horn.
goods cost 500, and shipping is 850 lol. It took over 60 days.

I checked with UPS, and was quoted about the same price for 7day air shipping, all inclusive TO ME. WTF

I'm convinced that if ups can quote me the same or lower price for 10x faster and easier shipping, that the seller could easily source similar companies to streamline air or sea shipping, instead of plunking it on a boat, and then telling the buyer that they're getting screwed :cry: Pretty rude and neglectful business practice imo. I have potential customers come that are clueless, and I ABSOLUTELY clue them in! I'd rather not have the business than to have them unhappy with it, or get screwed on the price.

I'll pick it up in the next few days and get a review/build thread started. I mainly wanted the tires lol, and figured the frame would be a great value and fun to try as a winter project. Jokes on me here lol, hurts the pride a bit, and the pocketbook worse :lol: :lol:

Well that really sucks.
Where do you have to drive to to pick it up?
It might not work, but definitely worth a try to file a claim with paypal, perhaps at least for a shipping refund?

Everyone reading this will potentially benefit from your bad experience.
I hope the frame turns out to be better than expected.

art.jpg
Not that far, it got sent from ny to md.
Not a huge deal, but if I have to 'pay' for a lesson, hopefully others then don't have to.

I'm curious to see what the seller does. I'll let you know. They have to get the shipping streamlined/optimized if they want to do anything other than bulk imo. I'm sure dhl, ems, or even ups would have been far better.

I'll be honest I only read the first page of this thread so sorry if I'm repeating anything...but that's totally a raptor "replica". I feel like any company that blatantly replicates a design from the original manufacturer is super sketchbomb. When I'm mean blatant I mean exactly the same...

Back