Step-down Regulated Power Supply Module

I didn't see this in the FAQ or topic search, so here goes.

I saw a 1.8" LCD Color DPX / DPX6005 Buck Step-down Regulated Power Supply Module and thought it might let me charge my 52v 14s li ion battery pack with this in series with the output side of my 58.8v 2A charger. I want to stop the charging at 54.88v, so I would set the output side to 54.88v 2A and let the pack charge to that point. Anyone see any issues? Yes, I know I could spend $250+ on a satiator, but 90% savings for my particular application sounds good to me...

I don't know that particular unit...but it has to handle the same conditions as the charger, meaning high current when plugged into the discharged battery, etc.

If it can't, it'll fail. How it fails will determine what happens next (whether it's just shutdown, or whether it drains or damages the pack or the charger, etc).

You might want to see if your charger has any internal voltage adjustments. It might be something as simple as a single potentiometer for that. If you find one, you can first mark it's original position (take a pic, etc), and measure the output while altering it. If it does not do what you want, put it back where it was. If you find the charger has more than one pot, you may have to try each one, but only one at a time, and always readjust it back before changing the next, and always change value only a tiny bit at a time.

If you do find the pot that makes it work, you may be able to replace it with a switch and multiple resistors equating to the HVCs you wish to have (like full charge, 90% charge, etc) and make yourself a switchable-HVC charger.

amberwolf said:
You might want to see if your charger has any internal voltage adjustments. It might be something as simple as a single potentiometer for that. If you find one, you can first mark it's original position (take a pic, etc), and measure the output while altering it. If it does not do what you want, put it back where it was. If you find the charger has more than one pot, you may have to try each one, but only one at a time, and always readjust it back before changing the next, and always change value only a tiny bit at a time.

If you do find the pot that makes it work, you may be able to replace it with a switch and multiple resistors equating to the HVCs you wish to have (like full charge, 90% charge, etc) and make yourself a switchable-HVC charger.
That pot was easy to find, easy to adjust! Thanks man! Now to sort out the switch so I can occasionally charge to 100% to equalize the cells...

Back