Step up converter recomendations

john2364

100 mW
I am putting together a charger for my Ebike Battery. I am not doing this to be cheap, I am doing it to allow for versatility since I will likely add a couple series groups in the future and I want to be able to just adjust my charge rates as well as voltage instead of buying a new one for each scenario.

I need one that can output up to 14 amps at 67.2 volts (940 watts) with adjustable current as well as voltage. Any recommendations?

What are called converters are rarely adjustable.

Scientific and industrial power supplies may be, but often over a limited range, and at high watts output quality units get very expensive.

Check out iCharger 4010-Duo

Or buy a converter suitable for each target voltage you need.

Most of the step up converters that i have seen have adjustable voltages. I am primarily concerned about finding one with adjustable amperage as well that can handle the ranges that i need (up to 14 amps at 67.8 volts)

john2364 said:
Most of the step up converters that i have seen have adjustable voltages.
From what sort of sources?

I have detailed notes on the production of many dozens of firms in various sectors of the economy, and as I said very rarely seen a power supply like that referred to as a converter.

You do mean DC-to-DC right?

What is your upstream power source? Voltage output range? Max current?

Note that many high-end PSUs designed to run off AC shore power current, can also accept DC voltage inputs, but usually too high a range to be generally useful and of course then buck conversion (step down) not boost.

I have been looking at standardizing on ~48V nominal myself for buss purposes.

john2364 said:
I am putting together a charger for my Ebike Battery. I am not doing this to be cheap, I am doing it to allow for versatility since I will likely add a couple series groups in the future and I want to be able to just adjust my charge rates as well as voltage instead of buying a new one for each scenario.

I need one that can output up to 14 amps at 67.2 volts (940 watts) with adjustable current as well as voltage. Any recommendations?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Durable-12...860646?hash=item48b27819a6:g:-ckAAOSwUO9bjd4B
One of these matched with like a 12/24vdc 20a power supply is pretty close to what you want. Both output voltage and current are adjustable. Will need to add some additional cooling fans if running over 15A.

This is a buck converter, but if you can find same brand in boost up converter, its a reliable brand.
https://em3ev.com/shop/dcdc-converter/

Those cheap-Chinese units like the eBay listing above can sometimes be useful, but

you need to add a box, and IMO conformal coating against corrosion

actual continuous max current without significant heatsink / fan additions is a tiny fraction of the spec advertised.

reliability can be poor, so take advantage of the very cheap price to carry several spares

markz said:
This is a buck converter, but if you can find same brand in boost up converter, its a reliable brand.
https://em3ev.com/shop/dcdc-converter/
The sort of converter required to handle over 1000W is quite different.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1500W-50A-DC-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Power-Supply-Module-IN-10-5-60V-OUT-15-70V/252553726589?hash=item3acd600a7d:g:xYgAAOSwCGVX5UUj

You said adjustable current, but I dont think that is really a thing with dcdc conv because the device you plug your dcdc just asks for whatever it wants and asks that from the dcdc.

6, the output voltage: DC15V-70V.
7, the output current: 30A maximum.

The downstream device you are connecting to the battery is the one that should ideally let you specify the max current you want to allow, along with the voltage setpoint.

You should always keep that max-current setting well below the limitations of whatever is feeding it from upstream, or capacity of your wiring whichever is lower.

Fuses or breakers should be sized to act as a last resort protection.

Back