The SECRET to making algae-based biofuels work

oldpiper

1 kW
Yes, if you can do this, it will solve the algae-to-biofuel problem and make you a very rich man:

Keep the algae from sticking to the surface of a container (tube, etc.) without killing it.

Just as simple (HA!) as that. The problem with algae-farms/reactors is that the algae sticks to the surface, seriously reducing any product (biofuel, O2, whatever) because the sunlight doesn't get past the guck and as time goes on, more and more aggregated algae falls out of suspension and adds to the layer. Then you have to take the section out of service, clean it, and replace it. Even though glass is more cleanable than plastic, keeping it clean is still the Achille's heel of algae-reactors.

Unfortunately, it's still a secret. Any ideas?

Cameron

Scrubbing bubbles.

Really.

The algae test report I read about ran an algae pilot plant in the midwest in the late 1990's. The "reactor" was a racetrack canal around a fossil fuel plant. The stack CO2 was bubbled into the racetrack cooling pond that was the algae reactor. No glass tubs in that project. I have the final report somewhere...

You could run a mechanical cleaner that simply pushes a high-pressure waterjet against the inside surface of whatever container or tube it's in. That'll push algae films off of the surface and break them up at the same time, kind of like a water-based mulcher. :)

But it won't kill the algae, although it may damage some cells.

Another alternative would be net like screens over the glass. They could vibrate/agitate on timed cycles. If moving it once it's settled kills it, try moving it at slower rates and more often, maybe constantly, and the algae could never settle in the first place. If you made the vibration movement just slightly larger than the dimensions of the holes in the screens, it would scrub them completely with very little movement and still allow light to pass through. Maybe even engineer the screens out of an organic material that expands and retracts with heat or light so it's automatic.

We need to start trying to create technology in ways based upon how nature creates itself. How do different things in nature shed algae from their surfaces? Can that be emulated or synthesized?

I used to pressure wash 600 cars a day. I learned that even with freshly waxed new cars with a light coat of dust, water and pressure can only do so much but once something's soaking wet, a light touch with something like a cloth/chamoise, cleans it right up.

Not my area of expertise by far though, just insomnia talking......every time I close my eyes I see cad drawings of a swing arm.......and spinning lathe chucks........

Adopt a one child per algae policy.

Err...Somehow I doubt this is the only challenge.

From my experience with an aquarium, it was a simple matter of a magnetic scrubbed that was adhered on both sides of the wall. So I could move a paddle on the outside, and it would scrub on the inside. This wouldn't be drastically more difficult to do on a plastic bag that took a cylindrical shape when the magnets forced it to (presumably for the majority of the time these would be relatively thin 'panes' of plastic bags, to maximize surface area and minimize complexity).

• Mechanically, I’d suggest polished surfaces, possibly through electroplating to create mirror-smooth flatness below the threshold where the algae could latch.
  • Create/impose a starch-based framework for the organism to attach itself, promoting conditions that attract the algae to bond to the framework rather than the exterior surfaces. Periodically cull the framework with enzymes – turning the starch to sugar, creating a food supply for the algae, then finish by harvest the algae. Rinse & Repeat - literally. The model is based upon how large commercial breweries facilitate continous brewing.

Bert Grant, famed for instigating the change of Washington State liquor laws that allowed craft brewing in 1982, also pioneered the development of continuous industrial factory brewing rather than the batch model that most large and small models entertain.

Briefly, in the batch model malt is crushed with water to create a starchy mash. Two enzymes work the mash over their respective temperature gradients to create a multi-saccharide fermentable solution which is then boiled and married with hops. It is then rapidly cooled to a point where yeast – Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a unique genus in the kingdom of Fungi exhibiting both plant and animal traits, being aerobic and anaerobic in respiration, consumes both oxygen and sugar in order to divide through budding and survive. Within the lifecycle this single-celled yeast will produce typically one to eight clones, excreting CO2 and alcohol, as well as other exotic substances which affect the profile of the final nostrum. The beer is then removed from the yeast and conditioned for a period which allows for mellowing, maturation, and drinkability. Each step of this process requires interruption by mechanical means often employing men & women in physical labor.

The continuous process is more interesting because of the automation involved. Classic industrial giants of brewing such as Anheuser-Busch run non-stop. One of the critical phases of brewing which inhibited automation was how to solve the fermentation step, how to make it continuous. Bert Grant figured this out by employing two stainless steel vessels connected together: New fermentables arrive on one side (let’s call it the “right” side) of the first tank, moving slowly and at the same time becoming inoculated and proceeding through the respiration (aerobic) cycle of the yeast. By the time it leaves the tank on the left side it is fully ready to consume sugar (anaerobic), thus entering in on the right side of the second tank. When exiting, the ferment has completely changed to beer. In order to facilitate rapid conversion, large inert surfaces are required, and with the yeast being fastidious to binding, organic structures are used. The most popular inert material is hollowed Beachwood blocks. After a period of time, these Beachwood blocks are removed, pressure-washed, steamed-sterilized, and reused… over and over again. They impart zero-flavor contribution to the beer (thus dispelling the A-B marketing myth of Beachwood-aged beer).

Without understanding the entire algae breeding process, I presume that CO2 is percolated into a solution, the algae reproduce in response, and are then subsequently processed. If the little beasties wish to cling to something, give them what they want; make it attractive, let them have joy and multiple. Translucent starch structures could be made from supersaturated solutions of just about any available minced husk or cob.
  • Yet another idea is to employ micro-voltage at specific frequencies along the translucent surfaces which could disrupt bonding in much the same way that combat ships use to prevent crustaceans adhering to hulls.

Gimme beer and I’ll think of some more ~urp! :)

Fermenting, KF

Kingfish said:
Without understanding the entire algae breeding process, I presume that CO2 is percolated into a solution, the algae reproduce in response, and are then subsequently processed. If the little beasties wish to cling to something, give them what they want; make it attractive, let them have joy and multiple. Translucent starch structures could be made from supersaturated solutions of just about any available minced husk or cob.
Methinks they also need light for photosynthesis.

oldpiper said:
Yes, if you can do this, it will solve the algae-to-biofuel problem and make you a very rich man:

Keep the algae from sticking to the surface of a container (tube, etc.) without killing it.

Just as simple (HA!) as that. The problem with algae-farms/reactors is that the algae sticks to the surface, seriously reducing any product (biofuel, O2, whatever) because the sunlight doesn't get past the guck and as time goes on, more and more aggregated algae falls out of suspension and adds to the layer. Then you have to take the section out of service, clean it, and replace it. Even though glass is more cleanable than plastic, keeping it clean is still the Achille's heel of algae-reactors.

Cameron
I have a secret. Lake Winnipeg produces @ 2 billion tons of blue-green algae each year. It is free for the taking. The government may even pay you to take it away. No farm, no pipes, no pumps and no container to clean. FREE :!: Feed stock for biobutanol.
Do you still think an algae-farm-reactor is needed? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Something may be wrong with this line of "new science"?

TylerDurden said:
Kingfish said:
Methinks they also need light for photosynthesis.
Presumed :)
~KF

How about this halfbakery:

The bioreactor chambers are also the pumps: vane or screw... the seals of the pumps wipe the pumps' transparent outer walls, keeping the algae from accumulating and blocking the light.

oldpiper said:

Cameron

I would say Solar Tubes would seem like one of the best ways to do this.

A quick google search showed that other people have had similar ideas, http://www.oilgae.com/ref/sub/sub2.html

The Solar Tube company has been making building lighting products for a while. http://www.solatube.com/commercial/index.php

I worked in the administration side for an engineering company that looked into using this technology, and we were pretty impressed with the results from their wide range of projects from homes and office buildings to stadiums in the Beijing Olympics. However, we did not end up using this technology because of our concern of leaking issues (which it looks like they have now addressed). There is no power needed for this technology, as it is basically a system of metal tubes, mirror, and prisms.

Having an Algae pool with an array of solar tubes on the side that would project light into the bottom of the Algae pools could possibly solve the problem of the top layer of algae blocking light to the lower layers of algae.

Just a thought.... Cheers

Natural convection, plus wind, distributes the algae down 10 meters. A side benefit from this algae is larger numbers of larger fish than ever in history in lake Winnipeg. When the world is your pond, why would you build one and go to the expense of distributing sunlight?

HoverBoarder said:

The Solar Tube company has been making building lighting products for a while. http://www.solatube.com/commercial/index.php

There is no power needed for this technology, as it is basically a system of metal tubes, mirror, and prisms.

Just to add one thing to this idea, while the solar tubes do not require electricity to operate, this application would probably want to use some power to have miniature wipers clean off the lenses that are in the pool.

Gordo said:
Natural convection, plus wind, distributes the algae down 10 meters. A side benefit from this algae is larger numbers of larger fish than ever in history in lake Winnipeg. When the world is your pond, why would you build one and go to the expense of distributing sunlight?
A closed system allows genetically modified algae to grow without cross-contamination.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/j1414q2u5w25h788/fulltext.html

oldpiper said:

Cameron
HoverBoarder said:

There is no power needed for this technology, as it is basically a system of metal tubes, mirror, and prisms.

Hello??

I just gave the solution to this problem but no one seems to have noticed... Adding in an array of Solar Tubes is exactly what this situation needs. All you need is just to add some self cleaning glass (especially since the main aspect component that causes self cleaning glass to operate is UV rays which is what the Solar Tubes would be reflecting through the prisms in large amounts).

with_without.jpg
solatube_cutaway.jpg

There are a few self cleaning glass products to choose from. Here is one from Pikington self cleaning glass.
http://www.pilkington.com/The+Americas/USA/English/products/bp/bybenefit/selfcleaning/default.htm

Here is one for BioClean:
http://www.selfcleaningglass.com/

You could also have robotic cleaners and/or a few motorized wipers that would periodically clean off the glass as well, but the main thing that is needed is the Solar Tubes and the self cleaning glass. Those are the main components that would solve the light penetration problems of the algae forming a layer on the top of the pond.

HoverBoarder said:
You could also have robotic cleaners and/or a few motorized wipers that would periodically clean off the glass as well, but the main thing that is needed is the Solar Tubes and the self cleaning glass. Those are the main components that would solve the light penetration problems of the algae forming a layer on the top of the pond.

I'm not sure the self-cleaning glass that is described is going to be enough. They seem to be useful for moderately dirty glass (on the outside) but we're talking about an active quick-coating algae mass. Maybe what we need is some way to modify the algae cell wall which would prevent it from agglomerating into large masses (and sticking to the glass), while still maintaining its viability - producing a dark, homogeneous suspension, rather than a clumpy one. ?

Cameron

Back