Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

Arlo1 said:
e-beach said:
Arlo1 said:
...once the 4680 is fully sorted out it will produce ...

One perspective....
[youtube]8c1cmttKpDs[/youtube]

I love Jordan!!! Watch all of his videos. If only Luke would do a deep dive on his youtube channel as well :)

I love Jordan too!

I gotta finish up a ton of client tests before I have time to make more videos. We have 4 up on our website now though, and doing another when I get a free hour or two not running experiments.

sounds great! another exaggerated claim?
does anyone know more about this?

NEW cathode material for EV batteries gives 25% more energy
[youtube]r5Gdd_moBQg[/youtube]

Ive learnt to not believe anything that cannot be touched tasted or felt in someway or another.
Theres been so many claims over the past decade yet all ive seen is the slowest of progress when theres innovations happening but its too slow for a clean transition from ice to ev at least for cars.

If you look at the euro car market its going through shock therapy, and if you know anything about control and finance shock therapy leads to massive changes thats never good is just capitalistic ways money doesn't trickle down nor do technology thats not of use its about supplying the bare minimum at the maximum inflated price buckle down the hatches its going to be a ruff ride on the ev market.

We once talked of a reasonably priced ev but thats become noddy land as of lately personal independence is not for the masses the days of £300 second hand cars that got good life in them is long gone all the markets have bubbled yet the man on the street has never been under so much pressure in their own life time media help to hammer this truth home, masses of peopel are mentally at their limit been mothered by good times were not war people no more.

This sounds great 👍!

Working with John goodenough and his students.
[youtube]xWpLFUUDTiM[/youtube]

nanograf have released a new lithium silicon 18650 supposedly in production...
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/10/20/2538446/0/en/NanoGraf-Sets-New-Industry-Benchmark-for-Most-Energy-Dense-Lithium-Ion-18650-Battery-at-4-0Ah.html
4.ah and slightly higher nominal voltage giving 810wh/l. I read through their website, but couldn't find a cycle life stat anywhere, nor a power density stat..makes me suspicious.
anyone know anything about these parameters?

speedmd said:
Morand claims a durable 72 second near full charge hybrid cell tech.
https://batteriesnews.com/morand-launches-unprecedented-energy-storage-solution-72-second-vehicle-recharge/

hybrid ultracapacitors
No mention of wh/kg, incidentally. No relevant for anything 'us' would want.

Store dot claims verified by third patty. 300 Wh Per kg, 10 minute 0-100% charging for 1k cycles.
[youtube]B9euGYLXKPo[/youtube]

I think “The Viking” would find even a peanut butter sandwich ,”game changing” ! :roll:
Sure this sounds promissing..like many other battery press releases, but not exactly a hugh step forward for EV packs.
100 mile recharge in 5 mins is not a measure of cell capeability or development… it simply a function of pack size and charger power. For a typical EV ,100 miles would require 20 kWh of charge.
To deliver that in 5 mins would need a 240 kW charger ( plenty of those already) and a pack that can accept a 240 kW charge rate……Tesla, Porsche, and no doubt others already claim some of their EVs are able to do that….more in some cases !
The independent verification tests “The Viking” :roll: refers to were done on pouch cells rather than the 4680 he suggests are intended for use. Forgive me for thinking that the thermal dispersion properties of a pouch are very different to a cylindrical cell of similar capacity ?
Further, someone should poinr out to “The Viking” that a test lab result on pouch cells is NOT “real world” proof of how a 4680 will perform in a daily driver.
“The Viking” also seems confused over energy density which he quotes as 300 W per kg ?.. which is a unit of power density :roll:

Looks like a solid trend!
2023011209094847.jpg

Claiming 50% increase in energy density (20% would be nice if true), and fast-charging of ten minutes (what size of battery? very vague)

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2023/02...gy-density-than-lithium-ion-10-minute-charge/

"...Ionblox announced it has received $32 million in funds following a second close of series B funding. The funds, provided by Lilium, Applied Ventures, Temasek, and Catalus Capital, are expected to help the startup scale its high-power cells for electric aviation and prototype its fast-charge electric vehicle (EV) cells.

The batteries are developed with lithium-ion cells that have pre-lithiated silicon dominant anodes. Ionblox said the technology leads to a powerful combination of 50% greater energy density and five times more power over lithium-ion batteries, while enabling fast-charge times of 10 minutes. The cell performance has been verified by Idaho National Laboratory.

A rapid charge can power 80% of the battery’s capacity in 10 minutes. For a 300-mile vehicle, this means you can charge 240 miles in the time it would take to stop at a normal gas station. Idaho Labs tests of 12 Ah pouch cells confirmed energy density of 315 Wh/kg. The battery can operate 1,000 charge cycles at the C/3 charge rate while retaining nearly 90% of original capacity.

The company said the breakthroughs in battery capability are particularly well-suited for cutting-edge electric aircraft like Vertical Take-off and Landing Aircrafts (eVTOL), where weight must be minimized, and power output maximized. The large-format pouch cells of up to 50 Ah, which also have applications in ground EVs, are currently being built on Ionblox’s pilot production lines.

“The Ionblox technology enables one of the highest performance cells for eVTOL aircraft existing today,” said Yves Yemsi, chief operating officer at Lilium. Yemsi’s company will work to integrate the new battery tech into its conforming aircraft, the Lilium Jet.

“Test results to date are showing the technology will deliver not only superior energy and power density for the Lilium Jet at launch but also very good aging performance,” said Yemsi. Lilium said it will support continuous improvement and industrialization of the technology.

The battery provider received a development contract from the United States Advanced Battery Consortium to develop low-cost, fast-charge EV batteries. Ionblox is also partnering with Applied Materials for semiconductor equipment supply.

This second Series B round builds on a $24 million investment round in October, 2022. Founded in Fremont, California in 2017, as Zenlabs, Ionblox has more than 40 issued patents for pre-lithiation for all types of silicon-based anodes.

The cells are real. I was extremely surprised with the electrical performance.

spinningmagnets said:
Claiming 50% increase in energy density (20% would be nice if true), and fast-charging of ten minutes (what size of battery? very vague)

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2023/02...gy-density-than-lithium-ion-10-minute-charge/

"...Ionblox announced it has received $32 million in funds following a second close of series B funding. The funds, provided by Lilium, Applied Ventures, Temasek, and Catalus Capital, are expected to help the startup scale its high-power cells for electric aviation and prototype its fast-charge electric vehicle (EV) cells.

The batteries are developed with lithium-ion cells that have pre-lithiated silicon dominant anodes. Ionblox said the technology leads to a powerful combination of 50% greater energy density and five times more power over lithium-ion batteries, while enabling fast-charge times of 10 minutes. The cell performance has been verified by Idaho National Laboratory.

A rapid charge can power 80% of the battery’s capacity in 10 minutes. For a 300-mile vehicle, this means you can charge 240 miles in the time it would take to stop at a normal gas station. Idaho Labs tests of 12 Ah pouch cells confirmed energy density of 315 Wh/kg. The battery can operate 1,000 charge cycles at the C/3 charge rate while retaining nearly 90% of original capacity.

The company said the breakthroughs in battery capability are particularly well-suited for cutting-edge electric aircraft like Vertical Take-off and Landing Aircrafts (eVTOL), where weight must be minimized, and power output maximized. The large-format pouch cells of up to 50 Ah, which also have applications in ground EVs, are currently being built on Ionblox’s pilot production lines.

“The Ionblox technology enables one of the highest performance cells for eVTOL aircraft existing today,” said Yves Yemsi, chief operating officer at Lilium. Yemsi’s company will work to integrate the new battery tech into its conforming aircraft, the Lilium Jet.

“Test results to date are showing the technology will deliver not only superior energy and power density for the Lilium Jet at launch but also very good aging performance,” said Yemsi. Lilium said it will support continuous improvement and industrialization of the technology.

The battery provider received a development contract from the United States Advanced Battery Consortium to develop low-cost, fast-charge EV batteries. Ionblox is also partnering with Applied Materials for semiconductor equipment supply.

This second Series B round builds on a $24 million investment round in October, 2022. Founded in Fremont, California in 2017, as Zenlabs, Ionblox has more than 40 issued patents for pre-lithiation for all types of silicon-based anodes.

The release said
Idaho Labs tests of 12 Ah pouch cells confirmed energy density of 315 Wh/kg.
, so 12Ah cells are a realistic size. These would be like Lipos only with double the energy density. Imagine a Tesla full of those.

But the burning question is do these catch fire easy. More energy=more danger in most cases.

fechter said:
The release said
, so 12Ah cells are a realistic size. These would be like Lipos only with double the energy density. Imagine a Tesla full of those.
:?: :?: At cell level ?……. I thought 20700 cells are at 260+ Wh/kg currently ?
And i still have some 8 yr old 12 ah lipo pouches that weigh 170 gms…= 260 Wh/kg
….so , an improvement, but hardly double the energy density.
But i suspect the power density would be better ?

Actual weights? Lots of claims out there with little data. On light weight claims, do they have the same lead lengths and wire gauges. Super thin-fragile covers. Cans can vary greatly in thickness also. Not seeing where they are claiming cell vs pack densities in the brief. Durability was the issue on prior attempts in silicon so it is a interesting development that this looks to be a more sturdy variant.

Hillhater said:
fechter said:
The release said
:?: :?: At cell level ?……. I thought 20700 cells are at 260+ Wh/kg currently ?
And i still have some 8 yr old 12 ah lipo pouches that weigh 170 gms…= 260 Wh/kg
….so , an improvement, but hardly double the energy density.
But i suspect the power density would be better ?

Theres already public data with numbers better than 315Wh/kg. They didn't stop development at 327Wh/kg. They are in normal thickness pouches with beefy thick tabs and thick foils for high C-rates.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/04/20220413-zenlabs.html

Theres already public data with numbers better than 315Wh/kg. They didn't stop development at 327Wh/kg. They are in normal thickness pouches with beefy thick tabs and thick foils for high C-rates.
Green Car Congress ... nlabs.html

Great to see your post Luke, as this conformation is of interest to any following the tech.

Aside from the impressive energy density and C rates, @ -20 degrees C and C3 rates, plus claims can deliver greater than 70% energy levels. In our region and many other frozen over parts of the world, this may be the most significant improvement. From a -20 cold start, you should have in excess of 700 HP on tap in the Plaid if the road is dry enough to take advantage of it. :twisted: Certainly should help warm up the tires and cabin a bit quicker. :lol:

Last edited:
Lithium air -SS battery, claim they have demonstrated 1000 cycles and potential energy densities of up to 1200 wh/kg.

Last edited:
Great to see your post Luke, as this conformation is of interest to any following the tech.

Aside from the impressive energy density and C rates, @ -20 degrees C and C3 rates, plus claims can deliver greater than 70% energy levels. In our region and many other frozen over parts of the world, this may be the most significant improvement. From a -20 cold start, you should have in excess of 700 HP on tap in the Plaid if the road is dry enough to take advantage of it. :twisted: Certainly should help warm up the tires and cabin a bit quicker. :lol:

If things got as drastic as being limited to 700hp, I would sit and wait for the heat pumps to pre-heat the cells before driving. ;)

Back