Time to design a 3kw 100v motor controller

bradleyk

10 mW
hey,
i looking at designing a 3kw motor controller for a bit of practice before i try at a 15kw continuous for a car.
from reading arlo's and zombies i will be using Lebowski's controller.

i have a bunch of these (ixth88n30p) lying around, i know these aren't the best and should probably get some better ones for the 20kw motor driver.
but for 10a they should be fine? the 40mOhm rds(on) is a bit high? should make the de-sat easier.
will be making the 6 fet 3kw from them as a test.
with TD350E as a driver (no boost stage)
from reading zombies thread, i shouldn't need the boost, [strike]for the larger version?[/strike]. changing to 300+ phase amps might.

for the 15kw, i am thinking 12 fet's should be good.
i am planning on designing the same controller board for both and the same drivers, hoping that any mistake i make on the 3kw can be fixed for the 20kw, with the 3 still working.
i will be using the 3kw for an AC so it probably doesn't need Lebowski's controller but might be good to practice with.

once i get the controller in the car working i will be looking at making a bike, with the same controller or higher power :D

i read the zombies has redesigned his driver to have no boost, i haven't found it, maybe he can post it. but i plan to have a look at learning kicad so i can edit. it is quite different then eagle.

thanks all
im an aussie by the way :D

i have designed a single 400v to 200v 10a cc cv power supply. using a bootstraped FAN7390 running at 31k synchronous . i haven't got around to finishing it, i think the coil is saturating at 8a, i discovered how to make that myself. could be quite bad. hopefully it was a step in the right direction.
file.php

it was non isolated. the plan was to design an isolated PFC.

Desat detection
i haven't played with de-sat before.
in theory for desat to trigger the voltage applied to the pin needs to be higher then the internal reference(7.2v nom)
for a 20a limit
7.2(ref) - 0.7(diode will need to adjust to spec.) - 0.25v(1k resistor @ 250ua) - 0.8(fet 40mOhm at 20a) = 5.45v zener @ 250ua

Mostfet gate resistor
i have no clue,
i know that it needs to be switched soft enough to reduce ringing and noise, and too slow and the fet overheats, if it turns on at all.

i have 2 rigol D1052E scopes, 30v 5a cv cc psu. always enjoy buy more :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,043
Driving 3kW with 200V is just retarded. Even driving 30kW with 200V is retarded.

liveforphysics said:
Driving 3kW with 200V is just retarded. Even driving 30kW with 200V is retarded.

3kw, yes it is.

i was originally planning to go with ~150v volts, but i fount a 10kw nisson leaf module that fits where my petrol tank used to be. it's a 48s2p(180v nominal 200v max), i could make it a 90v nominal pack, but that was getting a bit low for my liking.

what would you recommend for the air-con pump? 12v at 3kw, 24v @ 3kw, 60v? with at 200v to Xv spmps to drive it?
the air-con controller is a bit unconventional, but not my choice. seems retarded to drive the motor from a regulated supply when i could design a controller. and rewind the motor.

There has been some interesting discussion lately on different system voltages for best efficiency or power density. Some of it is in this thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64907&p=975647#p975647

90V might be a better option than it at first seems.

200VDC is the no-man's land for switching performance. MOSFET power density peaks around 60-100VDC, decreases aggressively as you go to 150V fets, and decreases aggressively yet again when you go to 200V fets.

The sweet spots for performance are either 14S-20S, or go to IGBT and make it worth the lethal voltage risk and Vf penalty.

Hopefully someone can advise about the performance of the AC-35 motor if that's what you wish to use. It may be that the winding is just inappropriate for low-voltage use.

That said, there has also been some interesting discussion lately about the use of flux weakening to increase the constant power range to higher speeds above that which would normally be possible with the battery voltage available.

I thought everyone making car controllers used IGBTs instead of fets ?

I'm surprised no-one has make a high power bike controller suing them tbh

knighty said:
I thought everyone making car controllers used IGBTs instead of fets ?

I'm surprised no-one has make a high power bike controller suing them tbh

IGBTS require voltage > ~400 to be efficient. on a bike that is painful.

Punx0r said:
Hopefully someone can advise about the performance of the AC-35 motor if that's what you wish to use. It may be that the winding is just inappropriate for low-voltage use.

That said, there has also been some interesting discussion lately about the use of flux weakening to increase the constant power range to higher speeds above that which would normally be possible with the battery voltage available.

im not planning on using the ac-35, they just had nice dyno graphs showing extended torque at highter voltages. im willing to swap to 100v and see how it goes. doesn't require that much effort to rewire the pack

liveforphysics said:
200VDC is the no-man's land for switching performance. MOSFET power density peaks around 60-100VDC, decreases aggressively as you go to 150V fets, and decreases aggressively yet again when you go to 200V fets.

The sweet spots for performance are either 14S-20S, or go to IGBT and make it worth the lethal voltage risk and Vf penalty.

Are you sure? There are some new cree mosfets that are 1200v, 25mohm rdson, to247, and easy to drive, only 2500 pf input capacitance. How about that power density? :mrgreen:

OT but what was the topology you used for your CC/CV charger? Buck?

144V is not an unusual bus voltage for brushed motor conversions. AC is usually much higher though.

Nice - any chance of a schematic? I'd be interested to have a look (was that the board that was in your post? Looked like a power section).

Looked like a pretty small inductor - saturation was most likely the problem.

OT the charger, here are the files i did them in eagle. the controller is still a work in progress, and will go above the fet's

Attachments

• battery charger.rar
    132 KB · Views: 26
Back