To much power draw?

Ham549

10 W
I upgraded my bike to a hub-motor and have noticed a sigfentely higher wattage draw than my old set up. This new set up I have seen draw up to 1,900 Watts and I am worried that might be to much for my battery. I have a Ping 48V 20AH V2.5 LiFePO4 Battery Pack and it says recommended for motors of 800 watts can do 1,200 watts, according to my cycle analyst the motor has no problem drawing over 1,200 watts.
specs controller is a 12 FET 3077 Mark II Extreme Modder LYEN Edition Controller Motor is a Crystalyte Style:HT3525 - torque motor (REAR)

it has more to do with the controller that lyen 12fet is set at normal 30a and usually means it will peak at like 33amps. 52volts x33amps = up to 1716watt draw peak.

If you have software with your controller you can change settings. You can also see if your cycle analyst can set a current limit (depending on model).

i never owned a ping so im not sure if it 1C or 2C rated but at 20AH if its 2C you can draw 40amps off of it. so there is no problem, but if you want to save battery for longer rides, maybe current limiting is the way to go.

Too much controller for a ping in my opinion. It will work for a time, but your ping will really hate 2c spikes. There is a huge difference between meeting test specifications, and doing a lot of repeated amp spikes out in the real world. It simply hammers the battery, and you can expect it to cost you lifespan if those amp spikes are close to the max spec. The commonsense thing is to cut all c rate specs in half for real world use. Ping cells are supposed to be 3c, so 1.5c should be about your maximum.

You could just get a smaller controller, but that defeats the whole purpose of the motor upgrade. Start shopping for the new, higher c rate battery, you might need it by end of summer.

Meanwhile, easy on the throttle, or reprogram the controller for less amps.

If your CA is the direct plug in one, you can just use it to limit amps. No problem cruising full throttle, That should still be less than 1200 w most of the time. It's the amp spike getting going, or the long high amps hill climb that will damage your ping.

I use a licomn02 battery with 10ah at 20 and 30 amps,... What i would not do is use it with 45a

But how this will affect my battery i dont know exacly. (its bms has shutdown but dont know what caused it maybe to much amps?)
I think youll be okay with that 20ah battery. Because it will only draw max amps at acceleration and if you do alot of hills. :)

Get a C.A. and turn it down to 22amps or maybe 25amps but no more for the bms and the battery. You will don't know how many amps the controller is ? 12fet. lyen maybe 40amps maybe ???

Back