Tool to punch slots in nickel (or other metal) strip for welding

jas67

10 W
Is there a tool available that can punch out slots in nickel or other strip to facility better welding?
I've been able to found pre-cut ladder-type strip that has pre-cut slots in it. I'd like to use a wide solid piece of 0.2mm nickel for a 21700 pack that I'm building. I know that with thicker material, the slots help with welding by forcing some of the the current to go through the button on the battery that is being welding too.

I use one of these metal punchers to punch holes on nickle strip 1.5mm, it should do 2mm. It comes with several hole dies for different size holes. I paid around 30 dollars on ebay for the tool. I had 4 battery packs that I had to do. The holes were for the battery vents so they wouldnt be under the strip.

a hole puncher tool.jpg

jonyjoe303 said:
I use one of these metal punchers to punch holes on nickle strip 1.5mm, it should do 2mm. It comes with several hole dies for different size holes. I paid around 30 dollars on ebay for the tool. I had 4 battery packs that I had to do. The holes were for the battery vents so they wouldnt be under the strip.

a hole puncher tool.jpg

Looks good. Do you know if they have dies to do slots instead of round holes?

Best of luck on your search. That being said, if I wanted to add slots I'd use a thin abrasive disc to cut them with a Dremel.

Perhaps borrow a Dremel and try it out to see if it works for you before you buy one.

spinningmagnets said:
Best of luck on your search. That being said, if I wanted to add slots I'd use a thin abrasive disc to cut them with a Dremel.

Perhaps borrow a Dremel and try it out to see if it works for you before you buy one.

I have a dremel and a a good cutting disc, but, that seems more tedious than using a punch.

Back