• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

tough choice

mikefish

100 W
i know that decisions like this are heavily dependent on what your personal use is, but im still having a tough time.

if you had to pick between this:

http://www.electricbikedistributor.com/evd-electric-motorcycle.html

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lamborghini-35-MPH-1800W-ELECTRIC-Hybrid-Mountain-Bike_W0QQitemZ180326046134QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item29fc4519b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A7|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

which would you choose, and why?

600x800px-LL-rmartin-evd-electric-scooter-2.jpg

or

1235428712348-1811367538.JPG

Im just having a hard time deciding between flying fast legally, or illegally.

the scooter is going to go faster, but cost more due to insurance, registration, and license. however, if all that is done, then there is no chance of getting a ticket, or even getting the illegal bicycle impounded.

the bicycle is nice because it does not need all the insurance and other paper work. but at that speed, i would not want to wear just a bicycle helmet! plus i would be scared of cops spotting me going too fast. more scared of cracking my head open due to no motorcycle helmet. i would feel way too silly wearing a full on motorcycle helmet on a bike like this. im vane ok..i admit it at least.

but the bike can go places the scooter cant, and the bike can also have a small element of exercise.

i think there is also a way to get the bicycle to be legal on the road, but i think it would be very difficult due to no VIN number.

AHHHHHH..so frustrating!

any help is very very appreciated!!

To go fast go insured. You'll be glad you did if you need to use the insurance. For me it's an easier decision since my state makes it cheap to register a vehicle.

No reason you couldn't get the bike and go fast only off road, but it does take some discipline to ride a fast bike at 20 mph or so. What are the cops like where you are? They may notice you if you ride 30 mph, but if you keep it under 25 mph, I doubt they will even notice you, untill you get right crossed and somebody hits you.

Like you say, it depends on what you want, but where you live is also a big factor.

Living in the city and rarely being in a hurry, I'd personally pick the ebike. I use my pedal bike much more often, for a number of reasons:
Less need for protective gear.
Door-to-door convenience.
Take the shortest route, across pavements (sidewalks) and off-road.
Less conspicuous.
I enjoy the exercise.

It's a different riding style as well. On my motorbike I feel more like part of the traffic, while on the ebike I feel more of a free spirit, although obviously more vulnerable too.

Looking at the two examples you've given, the ebike is a high-spec machine that should be fun to ride, while the scooter is a very basic machine that will probably be disappointing to ride and cost a lot more to run in terms of insurance, maintenance and replacing batteries.

I've heard a few people here complain about the low perceived status of pedal bikes in the US. That's not really a factor I've noticed here in the UK, but maybe it is where you are.

well malcom, you bring up a good point about the bike being high end, and the scooter being entry level (at best) im sure the bike would be a blast to ride, but as dogman pointed out, i would have to make sure i have some self control.

the scooter would be nice to become part of traffic without people treating you like you dont belong on the road, but i would miss the exercise as stated already.

i mainly need something that will take me to work and back, also make a lunch run between. 5 miles to work, and about 2-3 miles at lunch, 5 miles back home. so im not in need of super range (i can charge at work). not very hilly, just a few small ones here and there. a medium one on the way home, but i pedal my ezip now, and make it just fine. i want a bit more speed, but im finding it difficult to tell when i should let go of the bike, and go for a scooter. by law, that bike is a scooter. i would just feel real silly wearing a motorcycle helmet on a bicycle. lol

im also wondering what tax breaks could be obtained by purchasing the scooter. I think 10 percent from the Federal, but im not sure.

i doubt the bike would even come close to qualifying for any tax break.

my wife thinks the bike by the way! LOL (untill i told her it is illegal by the exact terms of the law) d'oh!!!

Your wife likes the E-Bike? in "Animal Farm" every one was equal, but some were "more equal" than others !

No reason you can't have both after a time, but to start with, I would say get the E-Bike first. An E-Scoot would be a great addition for 40-MPH and longer range (even if it isn't capable initially, you can upgrade), so the question depends (as you have stated) on your riding profile. How far? and how hilly?

I can reach 30-MPH on a downhill on a pedal-bike, but I am sensitive to police curiosity. 25-MPH is pretty safe and doesn't draw too much attention. Can you get to work in 30 minutes averaging 20-MPH for the whole trip (10 miles one-way)? If you need to average 30+ MPH to get there in a reasonable time frame, get the E-Scoot, and plan on a E-Bike later.

When it comes time to get a second ride (and you have an E-Bike) you might consider if you would want to take the scoot on the highway on occasion. Some riders are comfortable upgrading a Scoot to 60-MPH because they occasionally find it useful to take a short cut on the freeway to somewhere. If that was something you would need in the future, I would convert a motorcycle.

There have been several very affordable and well-done conversions recently. Between buying the Motorcycle, selling the engine, and then the conversion, doing it for near $2,000 is not unreasonable to expect. You can build it for 48V and 35-MPH initially, and later upgrade it to lithium and 65-MPH if you want.

If you are certain you'd never go on the highway, and you need 15+ miles one-way and 30+ MPH, start with the turn-key E-Scoot. Just some thoughts...

While everyone creams in their pants calling the e-bike the high end, I've got some questions. Why are they hiding the disk brakes? What is the stupid disk in front other than to hide that someone decided to pinch pennies and put 24 spokes on a 48 spoke rim? Is that some aero thing leaving off half of the front spokes? What's with the motor cables about the same skinny size as the brake sheathes? Why on earth would anyone supposedly building a purpose built e-bike, put the battery on the back rack instead of designing proper placement for the batteries, when it just begs to fall or get knocked over when off the bike? If it's a high quality bike made electric, then where's the list bragging about the great components?

For that price I think I'd go for an A2B instead, or just pick up a similar bike for about $200 + an e-bike kit and save a grand or more for a minor amount of sweat equity.

John

You'll get no respect from car drivers on the scooter too. At least in america it will be that way. It's performance will be less than they advertise, I garantee that. The way I got both, was electric bike, and gasoline scooter. The gas scooter goes 60 mph for an hour non stop easily. The e-scooter wont.

Is the ebike really all that fast? Most of em go 20-30 mph, and riding 25 is not so unsafe.

The Bicycle.

You get no respect on a moped. Cars will aim at you. They have no tollarance of you going slower than them on the road, and if you're in texas, you'll likely get a beer bottle thrown at you. And you are legaly confined to ride on a network of roads you are unwelcomed on.

A bicycle has the advantage of being known to be slow. You'll still be hated by hurried drivers, but they will a tleast expect you to be slower than them, and will avoid you. And if you have an option to ride on the sidewalk, parking lot, grassy field, dirt trail, you can take it and avoid traffic entirly.

I don't know if I would pick "That" bike, though. It looks like a sub standard collection of parts to me. $2,299 would build a nicer bike.

Hi Mike,

I'm with Drunkskunk, you can get a lots better bike for the same $.

I'd buy one of those $650 600w BMC kits from Illia that is advertised on the For Sale part of this forum and get Ray from your LBS to transfer it into the bike of your choice. Ray can lace up wheels so you can buy a bare motor and use the parts from the bike. You can buy a Electra Townie 21 for ~$500 that has decent parts on it an makes a good frame for a rear mounted motor.

You are welcome to try my Townie w/BMC @ 53/75v any time.

Nick

nicobie said:
Hi Mike,

I'm with Drunkskunk, you can get a lots better bike for the same $.

I'd buy one of those $650 600w BMC kits from Illia that is advertised on the For Sale part of this forum and get Ray from your LBS to transfer it into the bike of your choice. Ray can lace up wheels so you can buy a bare motor and use the parts from the bike. You can buy a Electra Townie 21 for ~$500 that has decent parts on it an makes a good frame for a rear mounted motor.

You are welcome to try my Townie w/BMC @ 53/75v any time.

Nick

i have to agree about building my own. Im honestly just to nervous about doing it myself. but i think i may have to get past that.

i will take a look at the BMC kits from Illia here.

i like the idea of an electric scooter, to be free of gas, but i do think i would miss the exercise i get from an ebike. i wanted an electric scooter to get some more respect from motorists, but as pointed out, it looks like it may have the opposite effect. also good points were brought up about it not being as fun as a well built electric bike.

the bike could be serviced at my LBS, but the scooter would be harder to get parts, and service for.

what Im looking for, is a bike that will take me 10-12 miles (and i can even go with less range) can do 25mph max. and will get me (185lbs) up normal hills at 20mph (or more) with normal pedaling. also stealth is a big factor.

so i dont think i need a huge battery, and i think i need more torque than high end? :?

thanks all, by the way, it has helped me figure out that i dont want the scooter...well not right now at least :wink:

lots of good points brought up that i did not consider!

thanks!

Back