troubleshooting new install of sp4,throttle "lights" only

finally getting to installing a new smart pie 4, running into multiple problems and need to run out to find some washers that i can grind down to use as a spacer, the ones i bought from GM ca dont fit, they fall into the freewheel hub. I also need to get some wifi down near my bike .
i placed the sp4 in the frame, to test for rotation, the only feedback i got was the lights on the throttle lit when i turned the battery on. The 10amphour GM battery is also brand new , i have charged it every couple weeks since receiving everything a couple months ago, topped off a couple days ago. I tried with all the brakes cables plugged in and not plugged in. The throttle seems to have a button on the front and a thumb lever, tried all combos to get a wheel rotation. I cant find any document on how to test for problem, I connected the battery red/black to the red/black from the sp4 motor, any suggestion? I think i heard a little pop when i powered on the battery, it may have come from the controller side of the motor, i was on the derailleur side.
The battery to sp4 motor connection is solid, i used wire nuts with 1 inch of twist, taped over to prevent any groundings. connection is solid.
any ideas? i will pull the wheel out of the frame when i get home and look at the controller side closer. I dont know if the brake cables have anything to do with it, i also tried the minilight ebike brake adapter in the brake connector , no led light lit on it. out to get washers.

The brake wires don't need to be hooked up for operation as I have one hooked up and one not. The red button on the throttle is the light switch it goes to the wire with no connector on it.

Id make sure all connections are fully seated and using wire nuts to connect battery means you are always on. I put Anderson connectors on mine to use as the shut off, I still want to use a switch setup.

You will get a spark/popping sound when you hook up the battery, not really fun.

I'd contact Gary at golden motor where you got it, he has a live chat feature.

I also never messed with the software or usb programming or any of that stuff, i understood the instructions that if i am not going to change anything, i am using a 48 v battery so no need to program. The motors come optioned as 48v by default.
That will be the first thing i need to check, if it is not optioned for the default 48V that may be a warning red flag, if it still doesn't work when optioned for 48v.
pisses me off about these washers i paid $3.50 for , they aren't round, the diameter is under 24mm , so when i place it over the axle ,it gets cocked into the freewheel opening when trying to use . useless for the first washer, One has a corner missing. Must be nice business ,cost a penny to make and sell for $3.50, but please , at least do it right!
when i get the bike up and running i will wire in the ca3 and satiyator properly, with good connectors, i have those spark arrester connectors that luna cycles sells with the pigtails. This battery takes a RCA type charging connector.
I am disabled so cannot knock this all off in one chunk and due to crappola, i have had this for about 4 moths and finally was up to trying the install.
I was hoping to get this rolling to see how it would fit my needs, but i think i want a different trike with 20 inch 406 wheels , it makes it much easier to get e-bike wheel
I also want to convert a fold rush, and am hoping i can find some kind of modular connectors for an outrider motor, the folding is important, and outrider can be made to not interfere[

The washers I source from Grin. They are better then the ones from China and fit in the freewheel easily. Grin charges $5 CAD for them I only charge $4. Basically I am selling them at my cost. I will Need to correct that in the future. http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/motor-parts/spacewash3.html

The washers that come with the kit are larger and not intended to fit inside the freewheel. They are larger as the axle nut is larger. It only makes sense to have the washers as big as the axle nuts. If the washer is rubbing on the freewheel you need extras. That is why I have the grin washers they fit inside the freewheel easily. So use the grin washers first then the GM washer. If you bought you kit from me and have any issues just come to the source. I am available on the site for chat most days 7am to 10 pm eastern. Sometimes its difficult with multiple chats, phone calls and shipping to do (and of course there is beer and pizza time, then there is the family) but I do my best to get everything right. Anyone will tell you that.

There are links below as well and instructions on the website.

Gary

Pictures are fine but hardly nessasary. As stated above the kit washers are not intended to fit inside the freewheel. The Smart pies are intended for 5-7 speed freewheels. If you are using a freewheel greater the 7 speed then that is why you are having issues. If you watch the first 5 minutes of this video I go into fitting freewheels on the new edge motors in quite a bit of detail. The smart pies are simular.

http://youtu.be/KPk7SqgiuV8

If you want to resolve you issues quickly click the warranty link on my signature below. If you just continue to post here every 6-8 weeks its going to take a long time to get you rolling.

Take care.

Back