Tsdz2 advice

Mark65

1 µW
Hello all,
Just joined and after viewing a few topics to try and get help on my new Tsdz2 bike build, there are a few things I don’t understand or cannot find the answers! Please help if you can, would like to get the final parts to get the build going.
I have decided to build a bike for light off-road use, just bridleways, gravel bike paths etc and decided on the Tsdz2 because of the more natural riding with torque sensor.
i have a knee injury which means I cannot Cycle like I did in my younger days but love classic MTB’s so have got the follow parts so far....

Tongsheng Tsdz2 48v 750w kit 42t with Vlcd5 display
Cotic BFE frame
120mm Rockshox air fork
27.5 mavic rims with 2.1” Rapid Rob tyres
X fusion dropper post

I must admit that I’m a bit concerned with the Tsdz2 purchase, initial research showed lots of good reviews and then as soon as I bought it I found this site and people mentioning it’s unreliable with torque sensors breaking and bearings of not good quality, should I be concerned with this?

I have a couple of questions to start, obviously need a few more parts but unsure what cassette to get, My rear wheel will take up to 10 speed, how many gears is recommended and what configuration with the 42t front for the riding I intend?

I would also like to flash it with the firmware I have read about on this site but this requires a Bafang 860c display, i can get this easy enough but is this display plug and play or do you need to modify the connections?

Which battery, 48v 11ah or 14ah?

Any help appreciated

Mark65 said:
I would also like to flash it with the firmware I have read about on this site but this requires a Bafang 860c display, i can get this easy enough but is this display plug and play or do you need to modify the connections?

Which battery, 48v 11ah or 14ah?

You don't need a 860C for using Open Source Firmware, because there is a (bit older) OSF version 0.20 b1 that works with stock display. So the vlcd5 too.
In that case, the only thing you have to do is flashing the controller and that is it. So you can try and learn which settings you like. Later you can update, if you want to the 860C, after reading the wiki how to do this.
Info for stock display OSF
Info for 860C version OSF

Battery capacity:
Because you have a knee injury, you will problably use a higher support from the tsdz2. In that case it is better to have a higher capacity of the battery if you want to cycle as in your younger days.

For your concerns about the mechanical parts of the Tsdz2.
Yes, it is a Chinese motor with Chinese tolerances, but it is cheap and relative easy serviceable. Most spare parts you can buy are also relative cheap and there is a lot of documentation, also how to improve some things.
With OSF you unlock the capacities of this motor and is it possible to go always to (or over) the limits.
It is on you to decide what these limits are. For (flat) road use this will be different than for (heavy) off road use and also the consequences with wear and tear.

Hello and thanks for the reply, i have spent a couple of hours reading about changing the firmware on my new motor and still dont understand it!
i have reflashed android boxes before so know a little on the processes but i cannot find a foolproof guide for either the vlcd5 or 860c.
what i cant find is the following,
if i buy a 860c display will it have the correct connector plug?
do you have to flash the controller and the motor?
what connection do you plug into?

Mark65 said:
what i cant find is the following,
if i buy a 860c display will it have the correct connector plug?
do you have to flash the controller and the motor?
what connection do you plug into?
1. No, because the 860C is for Bafang, you have to make a modified connection to the TSDZ2.
2. For 860C version, you have to flash the display and motorcontroller, for vlcd5 only the motorcontroller.
3. You have to use a STlink V2 for flashing, for the 860C you must made a connection cable for it, for flashing the motorcontroller it is also possible to use the included STlink V2 wires. (that is why starting with stock display is a bit easier)

For a common guide and for 860C you can read the wiki
For stock display there is a seperate wiki and included manuals with the firmware.

Back