TSDZ2 blue nylon gear: failure mode?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
Does the blue nylon gear on Tongsheng's TSDZ2 tend to fail catestrophically/totally or gradually?

i.e. does it give off warning noises vibrations that tell one that it needs replacing, or does it tend to just totally strip the teeth?

Mine just went without warning after 1000k. I do abuse it though. Full power all the time. I fitted the brass version which it a bit noisier.

PeteCress said:
Does the blue nylon gear on Tongsheng's TSDZ2 tend to fail catestrophically/totally or gradually?

i.e. does it give off warning noises vibrations that tell one that it needs replacing, or does it tend to just totally strip the teeth?

No. Beat the motor and you could. I kept a spare and the guy I gave the bike too pushes it hard and no failure. BUT I'd still keep one on hand. I hate waiting for a part order that could shut me down.

PeteCress said:
tomjasz said:
... and the guy I gave the bike too pushes it hard and no failure. ...
Can you ballpark the number of miles on that bike?

I’m sorry it’s well over 1000. But seriously, don’t overthink this. If you’re concerned has a spare ready. Again, failures are not that common. Using the throttle from s dead stop without having shifted as you would riding without a motor can overheat lug and create an issue. Ride it like a geared pedal bike. Not a single speed moped.

I had to dig out my invoices. The failure was the Main Gear . It got noisy so I bought him a replacement $50. That solved it. I’m thinking it was my failure to lubricate when I tore it down as a part of my thoughts of selling the TSDZ2. In the end I’m a Bafang fan.

It's pretty amazing how much quieter the bbshd is compared to the tsdz2, with much more power.

davekkk said:
It's pretty amazing how much quieter the bbshd is compared to the tsdz2, with much more power.
It is possible that I'm finally going deaf, but most of my life I have been kind of neurotic about noise and I can barely hear my nylon-geared TSDZ2 except when I am pushing 400 watts through it - then I can hear some noise, but it is comparable to the noise my Rohloff hub makes in 7th (noisiest) gear.

I have mine capped @400w and seldom run more than 200 through it - so power is pretty close to the bottom of my list...

Maybe I just got lucky and got a quiet one.

I would imagine you get some good range running that low, one thing I really like about the tsdz2's.

davekkk said:
I would imagine you get some good range running that low, one thing I really like about the tsdz2's.
Not charging to over 80% or discharging below 20%, I get between 30 and 45 miles on a charge from my 52v 700wh battery from https://www.electrifybike.com/collections/batteries/products/52v-40-amp-14ah-super-shark-e-bike-battery.

Basically, the battery has considerably more miles in it than I do...

PeteCress said:

Mine (48v, 750w) went progressively, just a few broken teeth making it noiser.
Brass replacement works well.
But the sprag clutch bearing inside the gear failed without warning.....get spares.

Back