TSDZ2 Blue gear failure.

Scottsub20

10 mW
I have had my TSDZ2 for about a year. Maybe 1000 miles. In that time I have been careful to use my gears properly and not overlod the motor. Although there were a few times while shifting that the motor appeared to be overloaded and it would make a grinding noise. Recently the motor would not engage at times. I replaced the blue gear and it's bearings and the motor is working fine now.

When I removed the blue gear I did not see any damage to the teeth. The only thing unusual appeared to be a black film on about half of the gear. I'm wondering what may have failed? The blue gear or the gears bearings? I believe the gear uses a clutch bearing is that what may have failed? Is there an upgrade for this bearing? Will this issue return in another 1000 miles?

Sorry to hijack your thread but I think my problem might be related. My TSDZ2 motor does not engage under load ( 670km )

If I use walk assist it works fine when I’m off the bike.

When riding it, as soon as I start pedaling, I hear it starting to work but suddently the pedal seems to spin without power delivery and I can hear the motor working.

If I turn off the motor, I can pedal just fine. Could this be the blue gear? I have inspected it and found no damage to the teeth.

I can also see black in the pictures, did you replace the small gear as well ? or just the blue gear?

tempImagecesOVc.jpg

tempImageHpchlP.jpg

tempImage3v2BUn.jpg

Can you please advise?
Best Regards,
Filipe Marques

Do you lubricate between the blue gear and shaft it slips on? Or just between the blue gear and the motor?

Does anyone know if the new white gear from tsdz2B is compatible with the tsdz2?
It is not - the blue one has a sprag clutch inside, which the white one does not have. If you would put the white gear in a TSDZ2 and you pedal (w/o motor assistance) you would force the motor to turn, causing higher drag forces
Edit: Elinx was faster :)

Is the sprag clutch what failed? Both of our blue gears appear to be fine except for a black film on the blue gear.

No, it is missing the clutch bearing, which is moved to the maingear
View attachment 332528
Thank you for the explanation,

Just out of curiosity,do you know if is it possible to replace the maingear ( or mainbearing ) as well to make it work ( semi-converting it from a tsdz2 to a tsdz2B ) ?

Anyway regarding the lubricant which one do you use on the blue gear?

Just to update this thread, I had grease between the blue gear and the pinion, just cleaned it ( removed the black and old grease everywhere ) , degreased it, and applied grease on the outside of the blue gear. Seems to be fixed for now ( just did a quick 2km test using full torque and it did not slip once ) maybe your problem was the same?
Apparently this is common problem that can happen with the one way bearing, in my case I think I may have applied grease where I shouldn't when I opened the motor to service it.
FAQ

Yes it sounds like I had the same problem. So there should be no grease between the pinion and the blue gear. If there is the blue gear can slip? I think I may have some grease in there even with the new blue gear and bearing. So far it is working fine, if I have any issues I will take the motor apart again and remove any grease in that area. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have not done any servicing of the motor so I'm not sure how the grease may have gotten in there.

Yes it sounds like I had the same problem. So there should be no grease between the pinion and the blue gear. If there is the blue gear can slip? I think I may have some grease in there even with the new blue gear and bearing. So far it is working fine, if I have any issues I will take the motor apart again and remove any grease in that area. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have not done any servicing of the motor so I'm not sure how the grease may have gotten in there.
Yes it can be either that or the oneway bearing on the blue gear that is faulty, in my case I believe it is not faulty lets see if it works for a bigger ride. If you did not service or open the motor, it is probably the bearing that is faulty. You can try and apply wd40 on the old blue gear’s bearing as the link I sent suggests to see if you can bring it back to life.

I'm thinking maybe the bearing failing is what causes the discoloration in the grease. Thanks but I do not see any links you may have provided. Can you add the link to the thread?

I have gone on some longer rides since I changed the blue gear and the motor has worked without any issues.

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe the bearing failing is what causes the discoloration in the grease. Thanks but I do not see any links you may have provided. Can you add the link to the thread?

I have gone on some longer rides since I changed the blue gear and the motor has worked without any issues.
Update:

After a 15km ride, I felt it loosing power again, I guess I’ll have to open it again to check if it has any black or not.

I’ll order a new blue gear to test

Link is here :

Gear Slipping

Does anyone know where is this black film coming?I now have some vibration when the motor is engaged, could it be from inside the motor? or maybe the needle bearing inside the blue gear is leaking it causing it to slip?

tempImageyzn5Z1.jpg

Thank you for the explanation,

Just out of curiosity,do you know if is it possible to replace the maingear ( or mainbearing ) as well to make it work ( semi-converting it from a tsdz2 to a tsdz2B ) ?

Anyway regarding the lubricant which one do you use on the blue gear?
You can use the TSDZ2B main gear but with one caveat. The bolt pattern for the spider is different so you would also need to obtain a new chainring spider to make the change.

Back