TSDZ2-v20.1c.3-860c(NEW) and bricked 860c display

shad3tr33

10 µW
I have been using this OSF version for about 2 months without an issue, mostly in hybrid mode. It has been working great. I can get about 70 to 80 miles with an average speed of 14-15 mph on a charge from a 48v 13ah battery.
The problem came up on my last ride. I ride mostly with assist level 1 and the lowest cog on my cassette and wanted more pedaling effort. So I dropped the assist level on the power assist mode for level 1 during the ride. I power-cycled the display after making the change and now the display will not boot up. The display stays dark. Checked the battery, verified that display had battery voltage. I tried my bootloader to upload the .bin file, but the 860c would not connect . I verified the cable from motor to display is OK with an ohm-meter. My 860c is now a brick after changing 1 parameter in the assist level settings!
I connected my old XH-18 display and went back to the stock firmware to verify motor is OK. It works fine for stock firmware. :roll:
Anybody ever hear of this? Any ideas on what to try next to recover the 860c?

Do you remember the setting you changed that bricked the unit? I had a similar problem 30 years ago flying model helicopters. If I changed 1 value in pitch curve. if the radio was off and a button was pressed on the front of x-mitter it would put full sub trim in the tail rotor. If I lowered that value by 1% the buttons were not active when off.

If you could provide details as to the exact settings that would be very helpful in debugging the firmware.
I am currently using the latest firmware from Mbrusa and it is working fine on my 860c. It is an awesome improvement over the oem firmware.

Thanks,
Todd

I am going from memory so my wording may not be exact, but under settings>assist level>power level> level1> lowered it 5 points (I think). I agree about the firmware being a HUGE improvement from the stock.
I hope you can help solve this. I should receive my replacement 860c today!

shad3tr33 said:
I am going from memory so my wording may not be exact, but under settings>assist level>power level> level1> lowered it 5 points (I think). I agree about the firmware being a HUGE improvement from the stock.
I hope you can help solve this. I should receive my replacement 860c today!
Notice that I edited original post to include the words (NEW) to version of OSF... sorry for the mixup.

I am also using the "NEW" version as well. I just installed it and have only ridden for about 50 miles so far. I too am using the 860c display. The only problem I am having is sometime after making a change I cant scroll up or down to the next item. I have to go out and then back in to make further changes.

Todd

TAPnAR said:
I am also using the "NEW" version as well. I just installed it and have only ridden for about 50 miles so far. I too am using the 860c display. The only problem I am having is sometime after making a change I cant scroll up or down to the next item. I have to go out and then back in to make further changes.

Todd

After making a change to a setting you have to hit the menu button again to remove the red line from the value just entered. This sets the value and then you can go on to the next item by pressing the up/down button.
I received the new unit and I installed it. Seems to work.... haven't ridden with it yet. Don't think I am going to change any default values in the assist levels though.

shad3tr33 said:
TAPnAR said:

Todd

After making a change to a setting you have to hit the menu button again to remove the red line from the value just entered. This sets the value and then you can go on to the next item by pressing the up/down button.
I received the new unit and I installed it. Seems to work.... haven't ridden with it yet. Don't think I am going to change any default values in the assist levels though. Glad you got your new unit and it is working fine.

That is what I am doing, but for some reason randomly after making a change and hitting menu button to save it will not let me go to the next item. Also I found yesterday while riding that my battery voltage increased while riding. if I stopped peddling it went back down. It only goes up about .5-.7 volts. A few times when exiting out of the setup menu it locks up and gives me some strange numbers on the screen. I have to power off the battery to reset.

TAPnAR said:
shad3tr33 said:
TAPnAR said:

Todd

I received the new unit and I installed it. Seems to work.... haven't ridden with it yet. Don't think I am going to change any default values in the assist levels though. Glad you got your new unit and it is working fine.

That is what I am doing, but for some reason randomly after making a change and hitting menu button to save it will not let me go to the next item. Also I found yesterday while riding that my battery voltage increased while riding. if I stopped peddling it went back down. It only goes up about .5-.7 volts. A few times when exiting out of the setup menu it locks up and gives me some strange numbers on the screen. I have to power off the battery to reset.
I have read on other posts that the voltage reading comes from the motor control board. The controller maybe your problem... not sure if settings are stored in the display unit or motor controller. But, since the firmware uses the settings for all of the calculations to operate the controller and the firmware resides in the controller, I would think that the controller would also store the setting values. I would like to hear from others who are more familiar with this than us newbies who are trying to muddle our way through this.

Back