TTXGP North American Championship

fechter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.infineonraceway.com/tickets/west_coast_moto_jam/589218.html

Electric motorcycle racing returns to Infineon Raceway this weekend.
West Coast Moto Jam
Wed, May 11 - Sun, May 15, 2011
AMA Pro Road RacingFootInfineon Raceway set the standard in 2010, hosting the first-ever zero-carbon motorcycle race on American soil at the West Coast Moto Jam.

The Sonoma Valley facility, as part of its new Accelerating Sustainable Performance program, will again bring electric motorcycles to the racetrack with the first round of the TTXGP North American Championship at the West Coast Moto Jam, May 11-15.

There will be racing in two divisions: Formula GP, which was featured in Sonoma in 2010, and the new Formula 75 class, which limits the amount of stored energy to 7.5KwH and the maximum weight to 440 pounds. Practice will take place on Friday and Saturday, with two main events scheduled for Sunday, May 15.

Shawn Higbee took the checkers in last year’s historical TTXGP main event in Sonoma, followed by Michael Barnes. Barnes would go on to win every other event on the schedule en route to the 2010 TTXGP North American Championship. Barnes rides for Lightning Motors.

“Our bikes this year will make last year’s effort seem like a Sunday afternoon leisurely ride,” said Richard Hatfield, Lightning Motors team manager and motorcycle builder.

Mission Motors, based in San Francisco, will make the racing debut of its new factory bike, the Mission R, which features an advanced MissionEVT electric powertrain that packs 14KwH and 141 horsepower. It can reach a top speed of 160 mph in a single gear.

Another team to keep an eye on is Brammo, which won the inaugural TTXGP race at the Isle of Man in 2009. Brammo took the year off in 2010.

“Having taken a year’s hiatus, we’re anxious and excited to get back into the thick of racing. There’s nothing that pushes development of technology quite like racing,” said Brian Wismann, director of product development for Brammo.

The TTXGP North American Championship will feature four events in 2011. Following Sonoma, the series visits New Hampshire Motor Speedway (June 17-18), Portland International Raceway (July 16-17) and Virginia International Raceway (Aug. 12-14).

The West Coast Moto Jam will feature five days of two-wheel excitement, headlined by the AMA Pro Road Racing Championship. The weekend will also feature Supermoto USA, flat track and AHRMA National Motocross. For more information about the West Coast Moto Jam or to purchase tickets, call 800-870-RACE (7223) or visit infineonraceway.com/ama.

I will be there.

damn, I can't make it this weekend. Trying to finish my moto.

Take lots of pictures! I can host them on my server if you want.

I'll be at the PIR race though, for sure.

Yup get lots of pics!

Dang, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it this time. So close, yet so far....

There is the possibility of rain too. That could make things really interesting. Sitting on top of a 300v battery in the rain would make me nervous. Better have all the electronics sealed up too. Road spray gets into everything.

We got our bike running late last night.
Made some dyno pulls, it rips hard!
It's a heavy pig though. It should be exciting to see what happens.

liveforphysics said:
We got our bike running late last night.
Made some dyno pulls, it rips hard!
It's a heavy pig though. It should be exciting to see what happens.
What did you build luke?

frodus said:
sorry if I missed it, but what bike are you talking about Luke?

A privateer effort for the Formula 75 class. It's a big pig induction motor with a giant curtis controller and 7.42kw-hr battery pack I finished late last night, all tucked into a Yamaha R1 frame on race slicks and race plastics, 422lbs total vehicle weight.

Our bike's bondo'd and taped plastics got painted with a rattle can of black spray paint last night in a parking lot. That's how low budget this project is. We started on it 3 weeks ago, just in spare time after work using crap folks had laying around.

And yet.... I will bet $50 (a decent part of the whole budget of the bike lol) we get a faster laptime around infinion than this bike you helped with years ago Frodus. :p :p :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

motoczysz-e1pc-is-re-3_800x0w.jpg

frodus said:
Awesome, what team?

get some pics asap!

The team's official name is "Volt Motors"

Extremely lame name, but we let the guy who provided the bike/motor use his team name.

Here is a sneak peak. You might ask, are those oil spots on that cardboard? Nope, it's cheese from the pizza that was dinner while working on the bike, and yes, that pizza box cardboard is a functional part of the bike (air dam for cooling).
ttxgpbike.jpg

liveforphysics said:
And yet.... I will bet $50 (a decent part of the whole budget of the bike lol) we get a faster laptime around infinion than this bike you helped with years ago Frodus. :p :p :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Haha, I won't take that bet, I bet you will. I was only involved with them a short period, and never actually saw it run in person.

I wish you the best!

Good luck on the track this weekend to Luke and the Volt Motors team!

bigmoose said:
Good luck on the track this weekend to Luke and the Volt Motors team!

Thanks Dave and Frodus. :)

We will need all the luck we can rustle up. :)

Best of luck Luke. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. Hopefully better than the death race.

- Adrian

We are prepping for the event tomorrow. :)

Amazingly, for a bike we threw together in a couple weeks with scrap parts and no budget, it needs almost no changes made after getting in some race time. We would like to duct more air into motor, and trimming back the battery box because it can't quite grind a peg without touching the batt box.

We didn't have any battery issues. :)

Back