Turnigy Multistar - lightweight 10C cells

Hi Y'all, I need your 5 cents on a subject of buying new hobbyking batteries. BACKROUND: I got 500W ebike and I am using 4x 4000mAh 6s and 4x 4000mAh 3s batteries combined into a 16000mAh 9s. All turnigy batteries. I got RC hobby backround so I got some of these batteries from RC projects.

So now some are getting puffy so I want a new pack. Also I got some new projects in mind that would benefit from a fresh pack.

I live in Finland, so European warehouse (hobbyking.com) is the only option. they wont ship batteries from anywhere else.

BTW I want to upgrade from 9s to 10s pack for my ebike FYI, so dont get confused.

The best bang for buck, the 16000mAh 6S and 16000mAh 4S pack ARE ALWAYS ON BACKORDER.... Too much demand so they run out as soon as they get on the site. So I dont think I can score them without waiting for few more months...

ALTERNATIVES:
1. 8x Turnigy 5000mAh 5s pack = 20000mAh 10s (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=35827)
2. 3x Multistar 20000mAh 4s packs = 20000mAh 10s (20000mAh 2s wasted...) (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__65272__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_10000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_EU_Warehouse_.html)
(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__74100__MultiStar_High_Capacity_6S_12000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_EU_Warehouse_.html)
3. ?????????????????????

EDIT: The price is identical with my 2 choices, thus I am not sure which way to go. A lot of 5s packs or modify 3x big 4s packs into 1 big 10s. If I do the latter, I might go with BMS rather than charging the batteries individually as I have done in the past ( I got 4 chargers though).

All the bast 6S+4S combos wont work since always the 6s or the 4s pack is backorder. 5s would sound nice and modular, I could stack as many pairs as I want to get the battery size I need.

thoughts?... The struggle is real with the european warehouse. All thoughts help me make up my mind. I need new batteries!

erajomppa said:
Hi Y'all, I need your 5 cents on a subject of buying new hobbyking batteries. BACKROUND: I got 500W ebike and I am using 4x 4000mAh 6s and 4x 4000mAh 3s batteries combined into a 16000mAh 9s. All turnigy batteries. I got RC hobby backround so I got some of these batteries from RC projects.

So now some are getting puffy so I want a new pack. Also I got some new projects in mind that would benefit from a fresh pack.

I live in Finland, so European warehouse (hobbyking.com) is the only option. they wont ship batteries from anywhere else.

BTW I want to upgrade from 9s to 10s pack for my ebike FYI, so dont get confused.

The best bang for buck, the 16000mAh 6S and 16000mAh 4S pack ARE ALWAYS ON BACKORDER.... Too much demand so they run out as soon as they get on the site. So I dont think I can score them without waiting for few more months...

ALTERNATIVES:
1. 8x Turnigy 5000mAh 5s pack = 20000mAh 10s (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=35827)
2. 3x Multistar 20000mAh 4s packs = 20000mAh 10s (20000mAh 2s wasted...) (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__65272__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_10000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_EU_Warehouse_.html)
(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__74100__MultiStar_High_Capacity_6S_12000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_EU_Warehouse_.html)
3. ?????????????????????

EDIT: The price is identical with my 2 choices, thus I am not sure which way to go. A lot of 5s packs or modify 3x big 4s packs into 1 big 10s. If I do the latter, I might go with BMS rather than charging the batteries individually as I have done in the past ( I got 4 chargers though).

All the bast 6S+4S combos wont work since always the 6s or the 4s pack is backorder. 5s would sound nice and modular, I could stack as many pairs as I want to get the battery size I need.

thoughts?... The struggle is real with the european warehouse. All thoughts help me make up my mind. I need new batteries!

They show 20000mqah 4s in stock. Go 12s and bulk charge.
Been using the 16000 6s for over a year. Bulk charge all the time, balance and tested over the winter. Still at 16ah and they all balanced out great. Have run them flat a couple times or 42v controller shut off. 3.5v per cell, so far so good.

Dan

Hi erajompa

I was just astounded earlier today by those 4s 16ah multistars selling for only 50$, and they're apparently in stock (US). Everything else I looked at is much higher $ per WH, or completely non existent in the US, like the 5.8ah 25c turnigy's I'd like to extend my current pack :p HK is often illogical price and availability nightmare across all the warehouses, likely due to lithium being so finicky coupled with supply/demand.

I guess In your situation I would do the 5s, so no mods are needed and you can continue to easily use your balancers. Imo balancers are a pita. I bulk charge and monitor/balance if needed with some medics.
Another reason for the 5s is the more common the better, for price, freshness, and hopefully availability later.

Weird, it won't even let me buy one?? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66486__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_16000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_AR_Warehouse_.html

Edit////
Wow, that was nearly unbelievable.
It took that long to finally checkout lol.

They don't use USPS, so they don't ship to PO boxes, but instead of telling you that they give the other message.
So I finally tried with my physical address in paypal
but then it said 'zip has to be all numeric'
apparently it didn't like the hyphen in the 9 digit full zip code?

So that freezes/ gets erratic up upon trying to change via HK/paypal
So I go to paypal directly and change it
And reorder
"your card has been declined"
LOL
A text soon appears from fraud protection, and after confirmation I finally am able to place the order. Wow, a real honest to goodness shitshow. :p :oops:

I would go with 12s, but my motor is commercial 36V and 12s is practically for 48v motors. Dont really feel like burning up the motor/controller. Since I dont know how, and of what, they are made out of.

I know i probably seem like a huge Multistar fan but i wanted to share some real world results, i've been running a Sabvoton and MXUS and QS205 with 26S 2P 32Ah multis for a while now, at between 130 and 160 Batt Amps, mostly offroad, jumps and some pretty intense hill climbs with Joe Bonner

The last few months i've done almost 40 rides with about 30 cycles and haven't balanced (not smart but i kept putting it off, i don't recommend it)

Tonight i pulled that pack out to balance and store because i'm getting the bike ready for the EV Fest TT race and need to lower it to 1500Wh

Out of 52 cells, two were 3.79, five were 3.77 and 45 were smack on 3.78V without touching them

all i did was match the packs over a week or so of riding and weed out 1 that wasn't performing well, install them under compression (mostly due to having to fit them all in the frame) then charge to 4.1 and don't go below 3.6(3.7 preferably) and i couldn't have asked for a better setup for big capacity, even though ive run them harder than i should be at up to 80A per side

VZc9o1M.jpg

Interested in the 4s 16ah packs, has anyone from Canada ordered from HK? They only use FedEx ground which to me means paying at least a third of what I paid in brokerage fees and duties. I don't understand how Luna can use USPS to ship batteries but HK can't.

Spongeworthy said:
Interested in the 4s 16ah packs, has anyone from Canada ordered from HK? They only use FedEx ground which to me means paying at least a third of what I paid in brokerage fees and duties. I don't understand how Luna can use USPS to ship batteries but HK can't.
All of my Multistars and other Turnigy packs came thu USPS from HK.
First 4 6s 16000 packs were shipped smart Fedex which ends USPS at the door. That was 2 years ago and the last was a year ago and straight USPS. I guess things might of changed by now.
Two years ago shipping for at least twice as much weight was only $13 year ago and last order it was $25?

Supposedly they cannot ship LiPo by air. Guess they Don't want to see anymore 777's burning up.

Dan

DAND214 said:
All of my Multistars and other Turnigy packs came thu USPS from HK.
First 4 6s 16000 packs were shipped smart Fedex which ends USPS at the door. That was 2 years ago and the last was a year ago and straight USPS. I guess things might of changed by now.
Two years ago shipping for at least twice as much weight was only $13 year ago and last order it was $25?

Supposedly they cannot ship LiPo by air. Guess they Don't want to see anymore 777's burning up.

Dan

Not sure about the US, but any courier than doesn't use the postal service here in Canada gouges us with exorbitant fees.

Offroader said:
with my turnigy 20C packs i was always replacing bad cells. This is why I'm happy I am using 18650 cells now and not lipo packs.

I believe the problem is not supporting the packs and they get squished easily. Even slight pressure will start warping the outer cells. Surprisingly, they can get squished pretty badly and still function well enough.

If I had to use Lipo packs again I would spend a lot of time making sure each pack was very secure, especially around the edges.

Yep HK lipo multistar drops cells like it's going out of fashion! 18650 only. Also these cells are not 10c , 2-3 c and maybe 5 max. Quality control and longevity are almost non existent.

When buying any product one has to look at the quality level. When buying Turnigy RC packs the 20C models are apparently the lowest quality cells. I've seen far more bad cells in 20C packs than in other Turnigy bricks. If you stay away from the low end (of any manufacturer's product) you'll have much better luck (quality).

The 18650's are a bit over-hyped these days, and frequently suffer from significant capacity loss with moderate use. They look better on paper but the gleam of super capacity per unit weight and volume doesn't last too long. They also tend to warm up with high current, so serious commercial packs are usually equipped with cooling systems. I like and use them, but my Multistars run a lot cooler.

The 10C Multistars are set up for the very important Quadcopter market and are apparently higher quality cells than the 20C RC packs. I've had really solid performance from my Multistars at 2.5C.

With either Lipo or 18650 cells, don't expect all the performance they promise, and don't expect the cheapest cells to be comparable to better ones. Keep them all within their voltage ranges, ride smart and safe, and wear the protection you want to have on in your next crash!

I have to agree, my nano packs from years ago are still good, puffed but still working.

I have to say 18650s have come a long way and are designed to meet strict standards, lifespan can be greatly enhanced by charging to 80% etc. If RC lipo were being used for garden tools and such, quality control and safety would be tightened, plus no multi-million dollar contracts are riding on a company choosing the right RC lipo. But for performance on ebikes, RC lipo still wins, producing insane kw output from a fairly small package, 18650 are really still stuck at the 30a 5 to 10 c bracket. Each has their benefits, but for me a well built 18650 setup is plug and play

Hi Guys - looking at these for a hang glider prop drive and I see there is a couple of years experience on this board now for the 10C MultiStars. What would the consensus be for absolute max C use? I'm looking at the 6S 5.2AH packs in a 3Sx3P and want to get up to 140Amps - I think I might be pushing it with MultiStar packs??

argo said:
Hi Guys - looking at these for a hang glider prop drive and I see there is a couple of years experience on this board now for the 10C MultiStars. What would the consensus be for absolute max C use? I'm looking at the 6S 5.2AH packs in a 3Sx3P and want to get up to 140Amps - I think I might be pushing it with MultiStar packs??

If what I read on here is correct, you'll probably blow it up with that much amps.

Yep, coming across loud and clear.
Sounds like no hope to consistently get 9C out of them.

Further reading on this forum is giving me the message of 5C max from these guys. Guess I'll look go back to looking at 20C packs.

RC 20C packs are usually the lowest quality cells, with the least QC, at least from Turnigy. For any important application use high quality cells and not the cheapest products. You want something with good QC. 20C packs are popular but far more troublesome than higher rate cells. They have high dud and failure rates compared to other "C" ratings. If you want 9C then buy at least 25C, only use 1/3 of their ratings. The ratings are max and chosen for use in RC toys where equipment lifetimes are short and many hundreds of cycles are not a requirement.

QQ: LiHV -what's the V they should be charged at nominal 3.8V?
I found the answer on the internet - 4.35V but it would be good to confirm.

Hi guys, just wanted to share my recent experience with Multistars.
About a year ago I bought some 4S stuff: 7pcs 10Ah and 6pcs 5,2Ah bricks.
I had a project going on that turned out redundant, so I put the batteries into my fridge.
After a year of sitting at 3-4 degrees celsius I pulled them out to complete a "fresh" 20S 15,2Ah pack with 40A Greentime BMS.
Well I thought the cells would be "as new" since they were refrigerated most of the time.
I discovered that after sitting for a year, 2 of the cells lost a couple hundredths voltage (well, maybe they were like that from the start).
I measured IR of all cells and all there were some big variatons. The worst of 10Ah cells were up to 50% higher IR than the best, and the same kind of variation was there for the 5,2Ah cells. Nothing serious though, considering I won't be pulling more than 80 amps.
Connected the BMS and manually balanced the cells to 0.01V variance. Discharged the pack to 3V per weakest cell. All cells were well under 3.5V by then, indicating less than 2-3% capacity variance between cells. Then fully charged to 4.19V per cell. The measured capacity was 15.5Ah. Very good for a battery that's over one year old.
Moral of the story is, you DO want to keep your batts refrigerated when not in use.

What cell voltage for storage?

I'd go further for the moral of the story, don't buy full pack quantities of cells until your project is complete and waiting for long range, use a small test size pack during the build. Many parts on 2nd hand markets for anything are new for projects that didn't eventuate.

le15otl said:
3.85v per cell

This is the cell voltage that the manufactures use, but I am not sure if this is the optimal cell voltage for limiting the amount of capacity loss.

Tests showed that storing at 4.2 volts led to larger increases in capacity loss. You would then have to conclude that the lower the stoarage voltage the better, as long as you don't go below the 3.65 volts. This makes sense because the more charge that is in the cells the more chemical reactions probably take place.

I normally have my lipo packs which have a 3.65 to 4.2 volt charge, to sit at 3.70 volts. If you don't have the pack connected that will discharge the cells, this is what I would recommend for limiting capacity loss.

The 3.85 volts was probably made for safety reasons more than limiting capacity loss.

I am currently doing a capacity loss test on 18650 cells, and one of the tests is charging them at 3.3 - 3.666 - 4.1 volts. This way I can see if there are any differences between storing at the different voltages.

I only checked the voltage once on arrival, then stored them at their initial voltage, which was close to 3,9V for most of the cells.

Back