Turning hub motor backwards feels strange

schwibsi

1 kW
Hi,

I have a Q100 in the front wheel of my 700C and did a first test run.
Everything feels ok, but when I spin the wheel in the opposite direction it feels as if a brake was on.
So I disassembled the Magura and everything else on the front wheel. There is just the motor inside the hub.
When the bike is turned upside down and I give the wheel a good spin, it'll keep revolving some 20-25 seconds, which should be ok in terms of friction of the hub.
But if I try to spin it the other way around, it won't move an inch after I let go.

Is that normal for geared hub motors, specifically the Q100?
I'm a little worried.

Thanks, guys

The freewheel in a geared motor will let the rim spin foreward with out engaging the motor so there is a lot less drag.
When the rim is rotated in reverse the freewheel locks up and drives the motor through the gears.

And then you feel the motor resistance, just like a direct drive motor feels in either direction. Forward, you only feel the freewheeling.

the reason it feels so hard to turn is the resistance of the motor ("cogging torque" thoughthat's not really accurate) is multiplied by the ratio of the planetary gearset in the geared mootr. so if it's a 4:1 it is 4 times ashard to turn as if it were a similar dd hubmotor.

Back