Ultimate BBSHD Grin Phase Runner FOC 3000W

motor_cover_391c1ae8-18ed-4d1e-bd96-68e6a8fd5be5_large.jpg

[youtube]iXiaJR1fR3Y[/youtube]

Yes lower means mean the larger cogs.

I will take a pic of the chainline in a bit.

Max amps is roughly 30A or 2500W-3000W.

Here is my write up

video coming soon.

https://www.electricrt.com/blogs/news/ultimate-bafang-sinewave-controller-upgrade

Motor delivery is similar to the Cyclone where there is strong torque from zero RPM, I have to be careful with the throttle otherwise the bike will wheelie lol. There is a top end pull as well, power seems endless.

robocam said:
When you say lower gears, you're referring to the larger cogs in the back right? I just want to be sure. Can you take a picture of your chainline from the back of the bike, looking toward the front, with the crankset chainring lined up with the middle cog in the rear, with the chain on the largest cog? I want to see what the chainline looks like.

How many max amps does it draw the way you're running it? Would you say the motor acts like a typical electric motor with a fairly constant torque starting from zero rpm, or does it come alive at the higher rpms?

You've made me really interested in this motor now!

Do you have a post or video talking about how you hooked up the controller to the BBSHD?

evolutiongts said:
88V is the way to go, definitely. I literally stay in the lower 4 gears of the time. 1st gear takes me to 20mph with monstrous torque, this motor loves to rev. I'm giving it 2500-3000W repeatedly on the flats and the temp barely climb. Everything is holding together.

I think Robocam nailed the analogy of the BBSHD as a high revving inline 4 and the Cyclone 3K as a big V-twin.

Thanks for posting installation notes. Seems pretty easy. And thanks for taking this drive to another level.

drew12345 said:
Thanks for posting installation notes. Seems pretty easy. And thanks for taking this drive to another level.

Thanks!

[youtube]HJ3_w3HqAcc[/youtube]

Did you ever get the PAS to work? Does your kit remove the Bafang display from the system, the CA is not the sleekest of displays.....? What amps are you running at 84 and 72 volts?

Lots of questions before I buy one..... :)

WoodlandHills said:
Did you ever get the PAS to work? Does your kit remove the Bafang display from the system, the CA is not the sleekest of displays.....? What amps are you running at 84 and 72 volts?

Lots of questions before I buy one..... :)

PAS is gone, although im sure I can get it working. The Bafang uses a 4 pin connector for PAS, trying to adapt it to the CA. Cycle Anaylst works well and the thermal protection is very important. I'm running at 40A on both 88V and 74V with a significant increase in power from to 88V from 74V.

Thanks for the quick reply! How long are the pigtails on your controller: I'm not sure exactly where I will mount it, but it will be much farther away from the BB than you show in your pictures. I don't mind hiding a bit of extra wire, but I'd like to avoid crimping and pinning an extension cable/cables (although I suppose I should learn if I want to start modding).

I currently have a 52v battery, will it still run at 40a for 2000w until I spring for a 72v battery and can run it at 2800w? I am a big believer in running electric motors at high rpm and currently have a 30t chainwheel combined with a 32t rear sprocket and a 5-speed SA hub. With this combination I never need input any torque through the pedals and I just spin to activate the PAS and the power. Having the ability to adjust PAS level on the fly is a necessity via a thumbswitch, will I be able to still do this? I still want to ride it like a bike, not a moto. I just want more power w/o losing the quiet of the stocker.

Phase, halls, and power wires are extended out to 10 inches.

With the CA you can adjust PAS levels with a knob or even possibly a switch although I haven't tried. Power levels are as quiet as stock except at full throttle of course because at high voltages you are running the motor at a higher RPM than stock.

Thanks so much! Can you tell us a little about the advantages of your controller? The other controller I was considering was the Bluetooth model from Luna. How do you program your controller? Can your controller be set to 50 amps? Is it programmed by connecting it to a computer?

http://lunacycle.com/60-amp-36-72v-ebike-bluetooth-programmable-controller/

evolutiongts said:
...Yes lower means mean the larger cogs.

I will take a pic of the chainline in a bit.

Max amps is roughly 30A or 2500W-3000W.

Here is my write up

video coming soon.

https://www.electricrt.com/blogs/news/ultimate-bafang-sinewave-controller-upgrade

Motor delivery is similar to the Cyclone where there is strong torque from zero RPM, I have to be careful with the throttle otherwise the bike will wheelie lol. There is a top end pull as well, power seems endless.

My controller is obviously sinewave so it will be very quiet similar to stock BBSHD controller. the Cyclone controller is very noisy and throttle response is not as smooth. My controller is programmable y connecting it to the computer and yes it can be programmed to 50 amps even 60 amps if you want. The program is XPD, and it works very well.

Also my controller has plug and play connectors with a Cycle Analyst plug and temp sensor already wired in to protect your motor.

Awesome. So it can even make a Cyclone sound better =) Have you tried it on the Cyclone? Is XPD freeware? Is it easy to use? I've never done something like this, so I'm curious. What's the maximum current you can program it to (assuming the motor can take it, such as a Cyclone)?

evolutiongts said:
My controller is obviously sinewave so it will be very quiet similar to stock BBSHD controller. the Cyclone controller is very noisy and throttle response is not as smooth. My controller is programmable y connecting it to the computer and yes it can be programmed to 50 amps even 60 amps if you want. The program is XPD, and it works very well.

Also my controller has plug and play connectors with a Cycle Analyst plug and temp sensor already wired in to protect your motor.

robocam said:
Awesome. So it can even make a Cyclone sound better =) Have you tried it on the Cyclone? Is XPD freeware? Is it easy to use? I've never done something like this, so I'm curious. What's the maximum current you can program it to (assuming the motor can take it, such as a Cyclone)?

evolutiongts said:

Oh yes, I haven't tested it on a Cyclone yet. I have a few Cyclone 3000W lying around I can bench test, overspeed with field weakening should sound amazing! XPD is free software and is very easy to use. You can set current to 99A and Phase Amps to 300A. I only advise the 12fet up to 60A battery and 150-200A Phase. The controllers are beefed up from the battery with copper traces. Still waiting on the black cases for the controller

Fierce acceleration and power while still quiet, all I can hear is wind noise and a slight electric motor whine.

[youtube]YF1caHHbxyw[/youtube]

Is the BBSHD at 88V quieter than the Cyclone at 48/52V? If so, by how much? Thanks for posting these videos!

evolutiongts said:
Fierce acceleration and power while still quiet, all I can hear is wind noise and a slight electric motor whine....

Yes it is.

I wasn't aware that the BBSHD had a temperature sensor. Where is it located, in the stator? You said the temp sensor needs to interface with a CA3 for monitoring?

If you get it working on the Cyclone 3000 and it is significantly quieter, I would buy one.

Yes, the temp sensor is located in the stator, my controller's wiring outputs a temp sensor connect that you can directly plug into the CAV3 for temp monitoring.

That's really nice. Give me a couple months to get one. I want to take advantage of using my cycle analyst with cycle analogger again.

I think that if I do this I'll build it as a throttle only electric trail bike for our green sticker trails. The rangers at Sequoia National Forest replied to my query about needing a sticker or registration to ride in an OHV area by saying that if it had pedals it was a bicycle and could go anywhere without papers....... I'd like to start by upping my amps to 45 while keeping my 52v pack (if it will support that rate of discharge), if it looks promising I can invest in a 72v battery from Luna.

drew12345 said:
Woodlands asked earlier if will run at 52v until he upgraded battery. I have same question.

Yes it will run on a 52V pack, controller supports 36V all the way up to 96V

wineboyrider said:
Nice! How often do you change the chain?

I went through about 4 chains this year, but that was using the Cyclone 3000W as well. I just put a new chain on it a few weeks ago, will see how it holds up.

This is amazing. I was following your channel on YouTube, but Seb from Luna told me you were here on ES.

I agree with the post I've seen before on this thread : I think that Karl blew up is BBSHD at 65A because he was using a square wave controller. I'm under the impression that a Sine wave controller is much smoother and causes a lot less heat stress in the BBSHD (but of course sine wave is a bit more expensive than square wave). And as we know less heat means less chance to melt that nylon gear. I think the people fron LunaCycle realised the benefits of sine wave, hence their beefed up 50A controller is a sine wave (up to 60V... correct me if I'm wrong).

Alan, love your idea of external controller. I also like your idea of a metal gear instead of a nylon gear. Maybe it will be a little bit louder, but not soo much... That gear is helicoidal (just like in car transmission gearbox), hence it's less noisy than Straight Cut Gears.... Straight Cut gears are as noisy as hell. You probably noticed when your car is in reverse gear and you back up fast... On some rally cars, the whole gearbox is made of Straight Cut gears.... A lot of noise, but Straight Cut gears are almost indestructible compared to helicoïdal. Still metal helicoiodal will probably outlast nylon helicoïdal.

Testing Grin's Phase Runner Ultra Compact FOC Controller[youtube][/youtube]

This controller is bat shit crazy its faster on 74V than it is on my other sine wave controller.

14702474_10207392198819266_7261343375399375502_n.jpg

Was a bit of a pain to setup, but with Field Weakening was able to hit 23mph in the Granny gear and 27mph in the next gear still 7 more gears to go. Temps was very good I gave a thrashing yet motor was barely warm and controller very little heat. This is a baby monster, powerful for its small size. Torture testing begins tomorrow.

[youtube]mF7n4jqoML8[/youtube]

[youtube]JQ7EsPp1JkI[/youtube]

[youtube]ttI8Ko79jq8[/youtube]

Back