Ultra lightweight CV Joint Axles and low RPM Motors

skyeg3

10 W
Hello,

I am working on this electric quad bike thing and I want to power both rear wheels with their own motor as shown in the picture. Can anyone recommend a motor for an application like this? It needs to have torque right off the bottom end and max rpm will only be around 500 which should get me going about 30mph. I am thinking 3 hp sounds about right(?) Also does anyone know of CV Axles that would be good for this? I want to keep the weight of the vehicle down more towards bicycle territory and less towards ATV territory.

Attachments

• IRS.JPG
    IRS.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,310
Bluefang, did you mean these? http://www.samagaga.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=Standard_Axle10
NUJ-HC%20axles.jpg

500 RPM is very low for most motors. Unless they have a very large diameter stator, they aren't going to have much torque or power at that RPM. A hub motor re-purposed as a mid drive would work, but would need to be run through a chain.
There are lighter options, depending on your skills and needs.

more as a link for a supplier for usable parts in the project he is doing. 500rpm is probably more the at the wheel speed so there could easily be many stages of reduction or even a single large stage using 219 chain as a example would be very easy.

Probably one of the easiest in this power range is the big block motors style that are used in the GNG kits and others. Have a look at the LMP bike setup in the non-hub drive forum page for ideas. Very simple single stage chain drive on that. Another idea is get 2 small DD hubs, mount them where the differential would go back to back of each other. Cut off the axle on the non-wire side, hopefully it has a brake flange on that side of the hub. Make a adapter to link the hub to the CV shafts and have 2 of the wheels independently driven. Good thing is you could just use some cheap $30 controllers to run both hubs and still have plenty of power to play with if you add some solder to the shunt.

Bleh, i just opened your img and thats pretty close to what you are after, As mentioned in a earlier post you wont find that small a rpm without using a hub with its large diameter. Also where are you based?

Bluefang said:
more as a link for a supplier for usable parts in the project he is doing. 500rpm is probably more the at the wheel speed so there could easily be many stages of reduction or even a single large stage using 219 chain as a example would be very easy.

Probably one of the easiest in this power range is the big block motors style that are used in the GNG kits and others. Have a look at the LMP bike setup in the non-hub drive forum page for ideas. Very simple single stage chain drive on that. Another idea is get 2 small DD hubs, mount them where the differential would go back to back of each other. Cut off the axle on the non-wire side, hopefully it has a brake flange on that side of the hub. Make a adapter to link the hub to the CV shafts and have 2 of the wheels independently driven. Good thing is you could just use some cheap $30 controllers to run both hubs and still have plenty of power to play with if you add some solder to the shunt.

Bleh, i just opened your img and thats pretty close to what you are after, As mentioned in a earlier post you wont find that small a rpm without using a hub with its large diameter. Also where are you based?

I am in Pacifica in the SF Bay Area. Right now I am thinking about doing a belt drive 1 stage reduction and mounting the motors behind the seat. Then I can put discs on that shaft. So still looking for a motor for this... Withone stage I could do a 4:1 reduction so the fastest the motor would spin would be 2000rpm

You might want to check my thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73001&p=1119099#p1119099
We are on the same path :)
I e
will be using a chain drive with scooter hub motor that John in CR dug up. I will have 3 speed casette on the differential plus the motor has dual speed switched mechanically so 6 gears total. the motor is 3kW and could be shaved of to lighten it up some. Here is someone done it for the trike:

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

Back