Using EV Chargers

I don't know if they do or not, as I don't have any here I could poke at to test, and there's no quick search that finds any specific info on it. There's probably info out there to tell you, though.

Your best bet to find out *for sure* is to find the communication spec, create a device to let you use this to set whatever voltage you want, then stick taht and a voltmeter on the appropriate type of plug and go to the charger you'd like to use and see what you get for output. ;)

Your best bet to find out *for sure* is to find the communication spec, create a device to let you use this to set whatever voltage you want, then stick taht and a voltmeter on the appropriate type of plug and go to the charger you'd like to use and see what you get for output. ;)
I'm admittedly NOT an EE, but I'm guessing these vehicle chargers require considerably more data than just the V/A mapping. I speak of personal info. name, bank routing #'s, vehicle ID, etc,etc. Likely have cameras too. Personally, I want NOTHING to do with car charging stations. If some rare circumstance arises and my trike needs fuel to limp me home, I'll happily fork-over a few bucks at my local food vendor or a friend's outlet - I have no plans to drift over 25-30 miles from home anyway.

I'm admittedly NOT an EE, but I'm guessing these vehicle chargers require considerably more data than just the V/A mapping. I speak of personal info. name, bank routing #'s, vehicle ID, etc,etc.
That's fairly likely...but for someone that wants to use them to charge I would expect they're prepared to give that info. ;)

There was a guy that re-built teslas, he quit in disgust after a while (you will have to look at his stuff it is a lot to relay) I think it is Rich builds...
Got it
I believe somewhere in all that he goes into detail about the charging systems

I'm admittedly NOT an EE, but I'm guessing these vehicle chargers require considerably more data than just the V/A mapping. I speak of personal info. name, bank routing #'s, vehicle ID, etc,etc. Likely have cameras too.
That’s messed up if true, but wouldn’t surprise me.

Ideally chargers would be anonymous, widespread, allow all types of PEVs and electric vehicles (0-1000v), and really they should be a public utility. However there’s almost zero chance the government would do this properly, and Tesla is all about tracking and probably limiting its customers. I’d still be interested to know if PEV charging is possible on Tesla chargers though.

Last edited:
That’s messed up if true, but wouldn’t surprise me.
There have been some free charging stations posted about, but AFAIK the vast majority of charger networks require a "membership card" or an app on your phone to unlock them (where your credit card/etc info is kept on their servers and the card or app just refers to your account there to charge you for power as you use it). Some of them may allow direct use of a credit card on them for those without accounts/memberships, and just charge you a higher rate since they don't get your personalized usage data to sell to other companies over and over.

I haven't actually used any of these stations...so the above is gleaned from memories of reading various charge network threads and posts here on ES over the years. Perusing those will give you a better idea of how they work (and of course, visiting the websites for the various networks would be the most current accurate info).

There have been some free charging stations posted about, but AFAIK the vast majority of charger networks require a "membership card" or an app on your phone to unlock them (where your credit card/etc info is kept on their servers and the card or app just refers to your account there to charge you for power as you use it). Some of them may allow direct use of a credit card on them for those without accounts/memberships, and just charge you a higher rate since they don't get your personalized usage data to sell to other companies over and over.

I haven't actually used any of these stations...so the above is gleaned from memories of reading various charge network threads and posts here on ES over the years. Perusing those will give you a better idea of how they work (and of course, visiting the websites for the various networks would be the most current accurate info).
FYI, Out of 5 sites I visited, only one mentioned paying for EV charger usage with "cash"...

"Unlike manned gas stations, where you have the option to pay in cash at a till, charging stations will almost always require card payment or billing through an account. "

No shocker there, huh?... not difficult at all to predict where this digital party is headed.

For better or worse the anonymity part is very unlikely at this point for multiple reasons. However I would like if the government mandated that DC chargers must provide 0-1000v and allow access to PEVs (with the appropriate safety standards applied of course). Or if a very influential company like Tesla voluntarily pushed for that. Especially once we get extra fast charging batteries (I do think that's coming), PEVs should be able to take advantage of DC charging too.

Last edited:
Back