Vanishing Rubber Cement (Patch Kit)

fechter said:
Great test!
<snip>
Tubeless tires should have significantly lower rolling resistance and weigh less.
Thanks.

The guy who made the tubeless repair video called Shoe Goo a "vulcanizing fluid" and he uses it for in-tire patches of his tubless tires. It might be something worth trying as well. It uses:
toluene ≥25 - ≤50 108-88-3
Styrene, 1,3-butadiene polymer ≥25 - ≤50 9003-55-8
Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aliph. ≥10 - ≤25 64742-89-8

With the added weight of the sealant, I wouldn't expect the weight savings for tubeless to be that significant. The rolling resistance for sure would be better when compared to the many layers I'm running. Though frankly, since I'm on power 90% of the time, I'm not sure it matters that much.

wturber said:
So I went down to the dollar store and got a cheap bottle of clear nail polish (chose the flattest shape), dumped the contents, and rinsed it twice with acetone. After it was fully dried, I filled it with rubber cement.

It's a great idea, plus those bottles are available empty if you want to avoid the hassle of emptying them !

wturber said:
The guy who made the tubeless repair video called Shoe Goo a "vulcanizing fluid" and he uses it for in-tire patches of his tubless tires.

I've used Shoe Goo to repair shoes, and it hardens quite a bit after a time (like a rubber sole hard), so it kinda makes sense !
You could make your own plugs with some sort of wick infused with Shoe Goo, maybe.

It is not the rolling resistance of my tubeless tires that I noticed the most. It is the dampening effect of the Cush core insert. I can ride lower pressure not risquing pinch flats, and less bouncy tire action is keeping a more constant contact grip with the ground. I find them faster/safer in cornering especially.

Back