VESC 4.1 Faulting / Failed Detection

Montiey

10 W
I was successful in updating the firmware, and everything works great (including manual braking from BLDC tool). When I try to detect the motor parameters, I get some finicky behavior and then a fault.
From a bit of searching it seems like the common cause is a busted DRV8302, though I don't know how the braking still works. I got a couple ABS Overcorrect errors, but then I removed the pulley/drive wheel and then BLDC started just showing DRV8302s.
Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7jcdVfY18

I probably broke something when I reversed the input at first (momentary, just sparked). Luckily, I had sense enough to just use a single 4s 5200 LiPo.

mccloed said:
Maybe check the DRV chip for solder bridging? That's what happened to mine. A little piece of solder was stuck in there.

Sweet! Did you get it back from jamesonotc?

mccloed said:
Maybe check the DRV chip for solder bridging? That's what happened to mine. A little piece of solder was stuck in there.

What kind of behavior were you getting? I'll have a short video up if anyone wants to look, but I can't see any joints that are closer than ~0.1mm apart. I'll look some more, and also fetch a small, stiff paintbrush to clear any conductive debris.

Here are the DRV pins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lN9-_rsaM4
Like I said, they don't seem to have any obvious shorts but I don't know much about SMD.
I will try to use the VESC on different batteries, and with a much, much smaller motor (1300kv, 7A) to see if it is getting overloaded.

No luck.

Using the tiny motor and just the single 4s pack didn't do anything, still the same DRV8302 fault.
At this point i'm willing to have someone professional repair it, if anyone does that sort of thing. I would think about replacing it myself, but that is out of the question since the chip has a center pad. I don't have a hot air tool, but I might be able to find one and borrow it.
Any ideas for what to do?

Found the problem, when you re-soldered the connectors the gate pin on one of the mosfets became bridged with solder. I went ahead and updated the hardware so it is essentially the same as v4.12 now.

I added a little bit of cable to the phase wires. You had the connectors soldered directly to the pcb and the creates a lot of inertial force eventually tearing the pads off the pcb. Normally I would have left it alone but you had cold joints and if I touch it I am going to do it in a way that will last.

Enjoy! :D

Thanks so much! I guess it was my mistake to use a $40 iron on such large components. I recently bought myself a Hakko 888D, which can basically solder to a solid ingot of aluminum (compared to the other one).

:D

Back