VESC throttle issue

sl33py

10 kW
Ok, i've looked and searched to see if someone else has experienced this.

I followed Vedder's tutorial step-by-step. While i did have and issue building the newest firmware and connecting the programmer... I successfully built/launched the BLDC tool in Ubuntu. Got the VESC connected, but once in the settings for throttle range (reading from Transmitter) - mine is off 21%. So no input reads as 71%, and full brake reads as 21%. So once i enabled and tested, the motor spins up as 71% throttle and i have to partially hold brakes to get to 50% (no motor engagement). I was using a Wiiceiver and Kama. I swapped to another Wiiceiver and Memorex nunchuck - same settings and issue.

I will pull my Quantum TX/RX and test with that next. Is there a calibration to reset the centerpoint of throttle i missed within BLDC tool? I tried the "hold c button for 5 seconds" (if i remember calibration correctly).

Likely user error - thanks for any help!

Launched the Windows version to capture where i am seeing this. Not a screenshot of my Ubuntu obviously. Just some quick notes and hope this helps. I'll start reading the advanced instructions from Vedder next as likely something i'm missing...

BLDC_Throttle.JPG

NOTE - 71% is with no throttle input. This should be "neutral" (no gas, no brakes). It will throttle up to 100%, and full brakes = 21%

Nice that you got everything running so far :)

You have to adjust minimum pulsewidth and maximum pulsewidth. The current measured pulsewidth is shown next to the display bar. The minimum pulsewidth is what you see when you hold full brake and the maximum pulsewidth is what you see when you hold full throttle.

COOL! I can do that. I'll reconnect and adjust.

Otherwise it runs awesome on the bench and can't wait to get it on my test board!!! I have 2 more to solder up. Got the shrink tube yesterday so going to wrap it up so it's protected and looks nice and clean.

Firmware question - is there a downloadable .bin file to update the firmware via USB now? I couldn't get the udev step to work and no luck connecting the programmer... The boards you sent me are v1.2 and v1.4 is the current/latest. Is there a benefit of upgrading firmware?

Thanks Ben!

sl33py said:
COOL! I can do that. I'll reconnect and adjust.

Otherwise it runs awesome on the bench and can't wait to get it on my test board!!! I have 2 more to solder up. Got the shrink tube yesterday so going to wrap it up so it's protected and looks nice and clean.

Firmware question - is there a downloadable .bin file to update the firmware via USB now? I couldn't get the udev step to work and no luck connecting the programmer... The boards you sent me are v1.2 and v1.4 is the current/latest. Is there a benefit of upgrading firmware?

Thanks Ben!

FW 1.4 has some safe start fixes for PPM that can be useful. The latest firmware comes with BLDC Tool in the firmwares directory. You can upload it from the firmware tab. Use the default version (not 33k).

Adjusted the Min/Max pulsewidth and works perfect! I swapped it to my beta board last night and hope to ride it tonight when i get home from work!!

I could've sworn i looked in the firmware directory for the .bin file, but obviously missed it. Will do this again when i get home. I did get the heat shrink on it last night and need to find a new xacto blade to cutout the access holes for plugs, but it's nice and sealed up for the time being.
20150616_230531.jpg

I took a page from Ben's book and just velcro'd and taped the components to the bottom of the board - quick and dirty, but gets me rolling. My eventual setup will be more polished, but this gets me rolling now!
2015-06-17%2B10.01.22.jpg

Thanks for the quick help with this!

Nice! Please let me know how it works when you have tested it.

It would be good if you could connect the nunchuk directly to the i2c port of the VESC without using the wiiceiver. Then you get extra features such as closed loop cruise control and a better experience in general.

vedder said:
Nice! Please let me know how it works when you have tested it.

It would be good if you could connect the nunchuk directly to the i2c port of the VESC without using the wiiceiver. Then you get extra features such as closed loop cruise control and a better experience in general.

Ben - you are THE MAN! This thing is AWESOME!

Admittedly very limited experience on e-board, but this is nearly as smooth as my buddies Boosted board (quite a bit more FUGLY though i know). The green tape really matches well w/ my eyes though... :roll:

I was running late last night (stupid work), so by the time i got home i didn't have much time before it was dark (nice it's light until 9-930p). So quickly tightened some stuff up and went for a walk around the neighborhood w/ my GF so i could take it for a spin.

I am a bit paranoid from folks talk about wiiceivers that have had interference issues - locked full throttle especially. So i am using a Quantum TX/RX currently and will re-try just the nunchuk next. I can totally solder it up to the i2c port and will.

Smooth and predictable! Just the slightest "cogging" or pulsing at start from a full stop, but no issue. The small watt meter i have inline from the battery showed about 700w peak used w/ a 200kv 5065 DIY (torque's) motor. A bit anemic up hills w/ my fat butt on it, but plan dual motors anyway. Had a couple minor issues of course. My "tight" motor mount wasn't... so i did grind a bit of the bottom point of the mount when it rotated (oh well). So tightened everything down when i got home. Also had some drag brake off throttle - so i'll look at settings to see if that's intentional or something is miss-configured. General tightening of the belt was needed, some teeth skipping it felt like, so will test again tonight if i can and make sure i eliminated w/ re-torquing everything last night.

I intentionally only used a 6s battery so i know on 8s i'll get a bit better performance and higher w from motor. Just trying to ease into it and not injure myself!

Can't wait to get this into a new "final" (we know nothings ever final) board w/ dual motors!

THANK YOU BEN! Seriously can't say it enough. Big virtual high five to you my friend!

It's not the Wiiceiver with issues it's more along the lines of the Nyko Kama + Nyko Kama Receiver having issues.

The same issues unfortunately still exist with VESC.

You can fix the issue but it's more of a trial and error fix.

Ex.
- Move Nyko Kama Receiver away from motor wires, esc wires, any wires.
- Expose Receiver for better reception to the Nyko Kama Transmitter. Remove plastic encasing from Receiver & Heatshrink for protection.

Many people have gotten the Nyko Kama to work flawlessly with but this is usually after testing and finding the best and proper location for it.

Granted.. I do enjoy having a 100% no disconnect or interference unless battery from transmitter dies type controller aka GT2B. Even with it's horrible big design

Unfortunately, there are not many options for Wii Nunchucks available besides the Memorex, Nyko Kama and the few others.

Back