Luna Cycle Full Grip Throttle Issue

TNC

100 W
I have the Luna Cycle motorcycle full grip throttle on my mountain bike used for aggressive off road with a BBSHD. Being a dirt motorcycle guy, this throttle was a lot more intuitive for me than the two Bafang thumb throttles. I've programmed the motor to ideally fit my needs, including the throttle engagement and power delivery...very smooth and linear on throttle only when I want it.
There was one problem. There was absolutely no "slack" or play in the throttle tube movement before power started kicking in on throttle power. The throttle was off when the throttle tube was at full stop. However, you could almost breathe on the throttle tube, and it would start engaging. I have the program set to start throttle gently, but this is not something you want to occur when you don't intend to. I loved the throttle power delivery and the ergonomics of the Luna throttle was great, but not having any "feel" or some slack was an occasional annoyance. This is/was not a program issue.
So, a lot of searching only revealed some complaints with this throttle that were clearly program related and not mechanical. My issue was related to not having enough distance inside the moving throttle tube to whatever stationary sensor was present. There needed to be more room/space between the sensor(s) to delay switching the motor on.
So, I delicately began opening the throttle assembly, fully expecting springs and crap to go flying everywhere...LOL! Instead, I found the internals to be super simple, and the method of disassembly and reassembly very logical and easy to understand. Two small screws hold the larger cover on, and one small screw holds the wire cover on. In retrospect, I'm considering if I even needed to remove either cover, but I had to remove the larger cover to see how things worked. Now, I'm thinking you can just turn the throttle to the halfway point and pull it off the tube. There is a large spring that isn't that powerful, and it fits in a corresponding hole in each side of the throttle assembly...one end of the spring into the actual tube and the other into the clamp housing. I have a pic showing the parts.
Now I could tell that the throttle tube has a shelf molded into the end that corresponds to a stop that is actually the molded plastic boss that the large cover screw fits into. That shelf is part of the retainer for the metal strip that interacts with the tiny electronic sensor at the end of the two-wire bundle going into the throttle. It's quite logical when you see it. The throttle tube rotates, engages the sensor at a certain point, and apparently strengthens the signal as that metal strip moves across the sensor. Problem in my case was that the metal strip and sensor were too close and gave no distance or time for the throttle to move a little...way too touchy to any movement. I needed more space between those two, and the only way I could see to accomplish this was was to remove material from that shelf where you can see the yellow arrow in the pic. That lets the throttle tube rotate further up into the housing away from the small sensor without effecting full throttle movement.
I carefully Dremel'd that flat shelf down a little bit, making sure not to go too far where you'd enter the cavity that retains the metal sensor strip. It takes very little material removal to gain a few degrees of rotation for the tube. Don't grind too far...you can see how much room you have as that cavity is open to view. All of these parts are fairly robust and not that fragile. You can test if you've achieved the amount of throttle play you want by just reassembling the tube and clamp housing off the bike, plugging in the throttle wire, and seeing how much movement you have before motor power.
This may sound complicated, but it really isn't. Those with decent mechanical skills don't need my long winded description here if they just pop open the throttle and see what I've seen and described. For those hesitant to tackle this, just follow my pics and description. On the other hand, some may like that instant throttle with almost no movement of the throttle tube, but I don't see how one can ride in aggressive terrain on an MTB with a super touchy throttle like mine had. I now have some tactile feel on the throttle tube before any actual power is engaged. Especially when off the bike and pushing or pulling on the bike, there is no tendency for the bike to engage power unexpectedly.

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_112232325.jpg
    IMG_20210709_112232325.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20210709_112403425.jpg
    IMG_20210709_112403425.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 157
Glad you posted this. I don't have a twist throttle but the thumb throttles I've used also don't have much play before engagement and probably have the same internal components. I've had the bike try to run away from me on a few occasions where I hit the throttle by mistake when walking it - only takes a little tap. I've been thinking about opening the throttle up and making a more ergonomic trigger but I've been procrastinating it.

COAR, I think most all of these throttles at least for Bafangs are probably super simple. I was expecting a bunch of fiddly parts, but it was a pleasant surprise. And it seems to function very reliably. It's weird they don't offer some "slack" in throttle engagement. No motorcycle would ever offer a throttle that didn't have some "dead space" adjustment for both safety and control. Please post it if you open up one of the other throttles.

Back