Volton Alation 500 2013 updates

EldRick

10 mW
I'm a newbie to e-biking, although I've clocked around 15K miles with pedals. I bought this bike a few weeks ago over the Internet, largely on the strength of the excellent Alation reviews here and at electricbikereview, and have not regretted doing so. I've got a couple of hundred miles on it, and no complaints - it's a nice bike.

This thread is simply to show updates to the Volton Alation 500 in 2013 since the reviews. The most apparent of these are: newer controller with 5 levels, different charger since the first review, silicone rim around battery compartment, easier battery removal, better fenders, and it is available in White.

The newer LCD appears to be the same as used on other recent bikes, has five assist levels, and the control buttons are remote (by about 6"). I relocated the display to the center of the stem. It's not the greatest bike computer in the world, but it has the basics: time, speed, and distance, along with assist and battery charge levels.
While it has a walk-the-bike mode, you would have to be a runner to keep up with it.
The five assist levels could be better chosen, IMHO: 1 is barely detectable, and 2 quickly takes you to 8- or 9-mph. If I were programming it, I'd set 1 to about 50% more power, and lower the juice on 2 and 3 by about 20% each.
f2nq0.jpg

The charger is compact, but the DC cord is permanently attached, so it doesn't pack particularly well for taking with you, and it takes 4.5 hrs. for a full charge. Joe at Volton tells me that it is a straight LiOn battery, not LiFePO, that this is a 2A charger, and that the mfr. recommends that the battery pack not be charged faster than 3A. DC voltage measures 54.58 - close enough.
svl384.jpg

The battery cover has a translucent silicone edge around it. I doubt that this makes it waterproof, but it is never going to rattle, and should keep some dust out. Mine came with a small blue unremovable blurry spot on the silicone, indicating that it had touched something colored for a while.
hwz3vl.jpg

The battery is easily removable - the two prongs simply slide into slots on the battery as you insert it into the frame (a just-barely fit). As before, it can be charged on or off the bike.
2hxrhhk.jpg

I think the bike looks great in White, particularly after the manufacturers stickers are removed. I get a lot of compliments on the appearance, and I like it for the visibility. As to the fenders, the critical rear one is now much longer.
2r56mf9.jpg

I replaced the usual items: pedals, grips, seat, bell, tires, added a rack, and rearranged the handlebar-mounted bits.
21opxds.jpg

Service has been excellent. The bike had two manufacturing issues: a bad button on the controller, and couple of mis-laced spokes on the front wheel. Joe at Volton was prompt to respond and to resolve both issues: he paid for a local wheel rebuild, and sent me a new controller with prepaid return postage for the bad one.

So I'm a happy boy with my first e-bike. Assuming that it hangs together, which seems likely, it will definitely be good enough for me for a couple of years until the technology matures enough to tempt me to upgrade.

I like the grip and the bike in white! Are those water bottle mounts at the top of the battery cover on the downtube? I've been thinking about where to mount the airzound canister for the horn I just picked up and that looks like a good place. Nice to see too that the battery doesn't just "rest" on the controller and wires. I may fab a similar bracket out of some scrap aluminum to hold the battery off the controller in a similar way with my 350.

Agree with you on the LCD. Not overly impressive and I think I'll continue with my plans for a CA on it soon (or just go without a display entirely).

Thanks for posting this up and glad to see there are some other Alation owners out there!

No, those are just a couple of Allen-head bolts that hold the (plastic) top-piece flange inside the battery cover. No reason you couldn't attach a waterbottle cage there.

The LCD works well enough, but it certainly is not a Cycle Analyst...

I'm tossing around a Volton or Emotion been leaning towards Volton now that I've read your review. It's for commuting to work only, 8-9 miles one way (16- 18 miles total) virtually flat paved trail would you think I could make it on a full charge? How much did you pay if you don't mind.
I'm 6'4 215 lbs

I have the same bike, even the same color, the frame is defiantly a large with C-T measuring 19.5" and TT measuring 21"

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,482
Back