VOTOL EM-200 in skid steering / differential steering ATV

DrewSB

1 µW
I'm converting my ATV to a skid steering configuration (4 VOTOL EM-200s, 4 5000W QSMOTORs) with the ackermann steering handlebars locked out. Are there specific parameters in the VOTOL firmware to make the motor actively decelerate to a given throttle value vs just freewheeling/coasting to that throttle? I find that I need to slow the motors on one side (at speed) to execute turns and I need the motors to not coast down to the target throttle speed to do this. Any good suggestions for specific settings/configs on this controller for a new skid steer build?

I don't know if the Votols have the option, or what they'd call it, but this exists in some FOC controllers (where throttle controls phase current) so that when the throttle is lowered below the present current demand, it causes a change to how the controller modulates the phase current so that there is negative current flow so the motor is forced to slow down (actively braking it).

Some non-FOC controllers (that use the throttle to control motor speed) call this slip regen, when throttle is lowered below present speed of motor the controller applies braking to the motor to slow it to the newly-commanded speed.

The best ones will actively use current from the battery to do this when motor speed is too slow to generate it, but not all of them have this option. Sometimes it's called plug braking (but this term has also been used for other types of braking including shorting the phases together).

There is EABS on the VOTOL EM200 that will actively decelerate the motor (seems to be the slip regen you're referencing).

Back