Walmart Canada selling $799 CND Triumph bikes

efreak

100 W
Walmart Canada selling $799 CND Triumph bikes with lithium (ion ) batteries and a 250watt motor front hub

first look looks alright with front fork and seat suspension with lots of room battery tucked under seat post

Hi efreak... tks for the heads up. I was curious what this bike looked like but it seems wallymart cda (or US) doesn't have this item on their web site... Next visit, take a pic and post here please!
Tks again!
Lock

Here's a link to the newly posted :

Walmart Canada Triumph Electric Bicycle

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Toys.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=5&singledept=null&lang=&assetId=32512&imageId=46814&suggestedItem=&priceType=null&page=null&departmentId=51&categoryId=282

Tks salger
triumph.jpg
Lithium Battery
30-40 km Crusing Range
Max Speed 25 km/h
Shimano 3 Speed Nexus Hub
Aluminum Frame
Dynamo Generator Lighting System
Full Fenders
Carriers Suspension
Seat Post Adjustable Stem

I saw this bike at Dufferin Mall Walmart last fall. I was really surprised Walmart would try selling an expensive (for them) bike like that.

Has anyone tried this bike? Great for those long-distance shopping trips or another lemon that I'll have to return in a month?

Updated link:
http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/st...null&departmentId=216&categoryId=1454&tabId=7

Updated price:
$899.93 CDN

No I don't know anything about this bike! But it seems bizarre to me that it relies on a separate dynamo for lighting versus separate batt pack or DC-DC!

That Wallymart page provides about zero useful details... Hard to believe, for example, that it really has a Lion battery and not some (safer) Lipo etc chemistry...

...I'd be surprised too if any store personnel knew anything about it either.

Details from any and all nameplates and stickers on batteries, motor, whatever would be useful... uhhh...maybe.

tks
Lock

Canadian Tire have the Schwinn Premise Electric, 24 Volt 10Amp/hr battery, 20 Amp max current Li-ion battery, not sure what hub motor it as...(I think it's geared, cause it's very small diameter )

0711564_450_CC_v1_m56577569830972481.jpg

999$ CAD

And 349$ for the battery alone

0711584_450_CC_v1_m56577569830972451.jpg

Robin

Zoot Katz said:
Lock said:
. . .
No I don't know anything about this bike! But it seems bizarre to me that it relies on a separate dynamo for lighting versus separate batt pack or DC-DC!

...I'd be surprised too if any store personnel knew anything about it either.

Details from any and all nameplates and stickers on batteries, motor, whatever would be useful... uhhh...maybe.

tks
Lock
I don't think a dynamo bizarre at all. What I like most about my <ebikes.ca> LED lights is that they're able to work without batteries if you're running a direct-drive hub motor and the controller is on.

I love dynamos and hub dynamos are the best. The Xlyte 5304 is the heaviest hub dynamo I've ever run. It takes ~13 kmh to make full power whereas with a Sturmey, SUN or Shimano it takes only 5 kmh to have 80% or more of the six volts available.

I'd not ride a geared hub motor or out-rigger without one.

This bike now on sale at Wal-Mart for $599 - just bought one.
Flyer says only until Feb. 18/2010. Product no. 782808.

Gone missing now from the Walmart ca site... a search for "electric bicycle" turns up only one scooter-style vehicle... any link?

I'd forgotten about this thread... My surprise at the dynamo on an ebike... I've since read that this has been required equipment in Germany for many years, as more reliable than a battery light. But I think the mention I caught about this also said that this was changing... perhaps just to recognize the hub generator option, as Zoot pointed out.

That sale price sounds like a pretty good deal? Guess they have leftovers from last year to move out to make room for 2010 stock...
Lock

http://www.walmart.ca/Canada-FeaturedPage.jsp?selection=listingDetails&assetId=42682&imageId=59692&departmentId=51&categoryId=899&tabId=7

Tks bluto... I realize now this thread was from 2008. Not last year. Any chance Wallymart is selling bikes w/2 year old battery packs d'ya think?

also tnx bluto - Google finally found the page for me but it was in a "delete88" folder. I suspect they are discontinuing this bike. Took 3 trips to get mine - they couldn't find the charger manual and keys. 3 more left in Royal Oak WM Calgary. Sale over Feb 18. PS walmart search sucks.

This baby is solid, nicely made and is BIG but so is my rider. 3 speed Nexus hub w. coaster brake will be ok, too for a novice shifter. Can't see how to disable/idle the lighting dynamo - that's a drag :). Motor won't go under 5kph or over 25. I like the Ecotour - it will take you from a standstill to get up a hill or off the mark in traffic.

Li-ion might be old but did charge to 4 green lights after nearly the whole evening, drawing 75 watts from the 110V. Charger has a fan - very noisy. My SLA charger for my CanTire/Currie Ecoutour 24v SLA is quiet and fast. Time will tell on the battery - snow here yet.
Peter

I saw one here in Victoria. It looked fairly good I thought, except it was 24volt oriented. It has an 8Fun (Bafang) geared brushed (front). I think the Nexus 3 is a nice hub - about the same high ratio as a Sturmey 1.34? So it could be alright if amped up to a 48 volt controller. I imagine it would be lame as a 24 volt, but the battery could be used in series with a better battery as a sweetener.

These bikes are on sale in my stores for 599!!!! appears to be 8fun. been on the floor for a year though...anybody know the specs?

This is the second thing this week (that I've wanted to look at) you Canucks have we can't get. :wink: The other was the Yardworks 6ah batteries. Actually, I'm sorta surprised at this. I would have thought that Walmart would have sold these everywhere in NA. I've been jealous for years about the diesel cars/jeeps available in CA but not here. If it weren't so cold up there . . . . I'd have to have electric socks, electric undies, electric long johns ----- I'd probably end up electrocuted trying to live in CA.

Did some research and found an unsold Triumph in Nanaimo BC. Got overly excited and bought it. When I got home charged up the battery and noticed that someone had been snooping at the controller/wiring, which is enclosed in a cheap plastic case. They broke the case. This doesn't bode well to keep the environment out. Stupid place to put a controller anyway. Could repair it, but I saw another thread on ES, http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11591&p=176502&hilit=+triumph#p176502 This thread lays out the difficulty in upgrading the Raleigh 36 V bike, which is identical to the 24 v Triumph bike except for the voltage etc. The problem seems to be that this particular motor is made for a European market, so it needs a controller which will handle the pedelic sensor. The controller/motor/sensor apparently provides for a "3-phase emf detection using an extra 3-phase control windings". The sensor, which is mounted so that magnets spaced in a circular pattern at the hub passes underneath it as it rotates. I imagine that this provides the information to the controller to let it know when to supply power to the motor (over 5k or under 25k per hr). Any how ... It's too much for me, as I am very new to all this and I am pretty allergic to tech know how. My solution is simple! I'm going to return the unridden bike to my local Wally World and let them sell it to someone who will be satisfied with it as it is, or to a technical guru who can surromount the pedelic controller upgrade dillema. PS ... The bike didn't have a manual, just 3 keys, battery & charger.

Gary

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
It seems suitably lame to be a Walmart product. Too bad it is non-standard controller etc. and speed limited.
Hey neighbour,

Even if I was able to upgrade the bike to 36 or 48 volts, it probably wouldn't be able to handle the hills in this city. What do you think, since you already have a collection of motorized bikes, and you actually live here in Beautiful Victoria?

Regards,
Gary

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
Probaby ok on the Galloping Goose. Not so good out Sooke way, or up in the Highlands. Gary, I sent you a PM if you would like to do some test rides on the motors I have. Cheers, Chris.

Thanks Chris, that sounds great, and very generous of you too!

Regards,
Gary

Back