• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

we are having an issue getting our Kelly controller to work.

Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know. I'm working on an electric dirt bike conversion with my son and we are having an issue getting our Kelly controller to work. It powers up, and connects to our bluetooth tablet, and runs the identification angle process. The motor moves the wheel back and forth for a bit and then the controller throws a "hall sensor error" code. The software does not show the hall values alternating from 0 to 1 when we rotate the wheel. I've been back and forth with Fany about the hall connections and I think we have them right. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? I've attached a photo of the bike and an ugly schematic of the connections. Specs are:
Mars/Motenergy 3601 Brushless Motor from Electric Power Sports
Kelly KLS-4812S
48V lithium battery 30 amp hour
The battery and controller are probably too small for serious riding, but right now we just want to get it running and then we can upgrade from there.
Thanks

alexis.persinger said:
The software does not show the hall values alternating from 0 to 1 when we rotate the wheel.
first, is there a freewheel or clutch between the wheel and the motor? if there is, the motor will not spin with the wheel, you would have to directly spin the motor itself.

if the freewheel or clutch is a one-way type, then spinning the wheel *backward* would spin the motor via teh wheel and drivetrain (chain, belt, etc).

as long as you have 5v and ground to the correct hall wires, and each of the three signal wires to any of the three signal inputs on the kelly, you should see the reading change. if there's no change, and it's got those wires (regardless of the order of the signal wires), something is either wrong in the kelly, or in the halls, or in the wiring/connection.

with it connected to the kelly, and hte kelly powered on, without teh computer connection, and manually rotating the motor, do you get a toggling voltage signal, using a multimeter, at each of the signal lines, with the meter black on hall ground, and the meter red on each signal in turn?

*however*, you must be careful when rotating the motor with the controller connnected to the computer, because some of the kellys will brick themselves, making them completely useless and afaik unfixable, if doing this. see the manual for your specific controller to be sure what to avoid doing, to prevent this.

I've attached a photo of the bike and an ugly schematic of the connections.
there are no attachments or pics in your post.

if you use the attachments tab to upload the images, then they'll show up with your post for anyone that can see the post itself.

Mars/Motenergy 3601 Brushless Motor from Electric Power Sports
i couldn't find that website. could you post a direct link?

kelly has a page with that motor
https://www.kellycontroller.com/shop/mars-3601/
that shows a connection diagram for their kbl series (though it doesn't show one for their suggested match, a KLS6030H ).

I (hopefully) got the attachments working. Not sure, I get a yellow triangle when I attached the files. We've been using a kindle, and it may not be running android properly, so we have a lenova tablet coming to run the Kelly software. Once that is connected we will try testing the halls.
thanks!

Back