• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What Batteries do I buy for 48v 1000w?

drifta303

10 mW
Hey,

So I'm putting together a 48w 1000w system, I live in australia, what battery should I buy and from where?
I'm looking for a compact light-weight battery - was thinking 10-15ah and want to spend under $500 with shipping.

There is a hobbyking in my city, but I have no idea about assembling packs and would prefer to buy an pre-assembled pack with bms to match.

Cheers

Paul

We all want a really reliable high c rate plug and play battery for under 500 shipped.

Pingbattery 48v 15 ah is closer to $600 shipped to the USA, but I don't know what they cost in AU. A 10 ah ping is too small.

If range is less of an issue, then a 10 ah cellman A123 pack is a good choice. Again, I can't say how the price changes to ship to AU.

Depending on how often you need to charge, you may find a 10 ah 12s pack of lipo not so complicated. 4 batteries that you permantly pair in paralell. That leaves two 22v sections that can be charged pretty easy, and then connecting them in series for 44v to run is very simple compared to a large lipo pack of higher voltage. I think 10 ah of 12s lipo plus a decent charging setup could be done for well under $500. For sure under $500 in the US.

With that price range, LiPo is about your only option, even then you are going to be pushing your budget by the time you add chargers and customs duties (AU are pricks about this sort of thing).

Go read up about using LiPo in the battery forum. Plenty of info in there on the subject. More than enough to give you a good idea of how to handle this chemistry.

In the US, you can make a Turnigy 12S (42-50V) 20 AH pack for under $400 to your door. Then you would need a charger, which can be done properly for about $100, or cheaply for $30-50...

Thats probably going to be the lowest cost option, and capable of 400A discharge.

ZOMGVTEK said:
In the US, you can make a Turnigy 12S (42-50V) 20 AH pack for under $400 to your door. Then you would need a charger, which can be done properly for about $100, or cheaply for $30-50...

Thats probably going to be the lowest cost option, and capable of 400A discharge.

hey thanks for the tip on the turnigy thing.. is this what I need? I have no idea what to buy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F14617%5F%5FTurnigy%5Fnano%5Ftech%5F5000mah%5F10S%5F45%5F90C%5FLipo%5FPack.htm

how does MAH compare to AH?

would this work:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F14074%5F%5FZIPPY%5FFlightmax%5F8400mAh%5F4S2P%5F30C%5FLiFePo4%5FPack.html

if someone could tell me what to get from hobbyking that would be great, im a total newbie

The most cost effective solution I could find was this pack...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16207__Turnigy_5000mAh_6S_20C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

1,000mAh = 1AH. Capacity is never a bad thing. I say get 2x more than you think you need and worry less. You probably wont miss the $200.

This is from the US warehouse. I believe they have it in AU and China as well. On the US warehouse one, you can get a 'Buddy Code' that drops the price to $42.xx, and then you can get 1% off the total order using mili09 at checkout, and occasionally free shipping (US Only, Probably) You get the buddy code when you buy one, it works for 7 days. If you cant find anyone who recently purchased it, you can buy one yourself, and use the buddy code to buy the 7 others on another account you made, saving quite a bit.

Then you need at least 8 balance extensions, probably would want two 10 packs.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9739

The rest depends on how you want to do it. You can get 4mm HXT's and make a harness that allows you to simply plug the packs in, and go. The best bet is to make a series plug out of 45A Anderson Power Poles that connects the two 6S4P packs into a 12S4P. Its much easier to charge at 6S, so you would have another plug that has the two 6S4P packs in parallel, charging a 6S8P pack.

You probably want to do some research on how others did this, to see how you want to. Its not all that complex, but it wont be EXTREMELY simple. If you cant handle doing things in the proper order every time, it might be an issue. You need to connect 4 packs in parallel, balance and discharge plugs. You will have 2 of these 6S4P packs. To charge, you connect the two flying 6S balance wires you made, to make a single 6S plug out of all 8 packs. If you dont remove this when you plug the series Anderson in, the balance wires go poof. Otherwise, its basically plug and play. Set a proper LVC on the controller, don't leave the bike plugged in when not in use, dont charge above 4.15, discharge below 3.5...

drifta303 said:
Hey,

So I'm putting together a 48w 1000w system, I live in australia, what battery should I buy and from where?
I'm looking for a compact light-weight battery - was thinking 10-15ah and want to spend under $500 with shipping.

There is a hobbyking in my city, but I have no idea about assembling packs and would prefer to buy an pre-assembled pack with bms to match.

Cheers

Paul

I am always puzzled when a person who does not have enough product knowledge to make a purchase decision, can come up price? Price as a general guideline is a good thing, but you have to be realistic. Women often come to me with a "budget" and their "needs". 99% of the time there is no relationship between the two.
When I look for a battery, after all the catastrophic failures there have been with bike batteries, I no longer for price at all. I look for Japanese or Korean quality cells, with a meaningful warranty.
In Auz you might try; http://solarbike.com.au/batteries.php
I have 3 of their 12Ah 48V packs with BMS & chargers.

If ~50kph is fast enough for you, buy 2 of these for each 5ah you want.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15376
Each 2 will make a 5AH 12s pack when plugged in series. Parallel these 12s packs to increase ah.
Get at minimum a 6s charger.
Do a lot of reading about lipo.

That's the one, if it's in stock. 12s makes it all so simple for the newb.

Read the battery FAQ's about lipo. I made a point of asking lots of dumb questions in those threads back a year ago when people were less tired of answering them over and over.

If you don't need range, and 500 cycles is enough lifespan then those 6s 5000 mha ( 5ah) packs would be great. And they are in stock!

You'll also need a low voltage warning device of some kind. Anything from a wattmeter to a three buck warning buzzer, your choice, from what is in stock. Always order only what is in stock. Some of the stuff will have to be on a seperate order from the china warehouse, but get the batts from the local supply.

Two 5 ah packs will get you about 5 mile range at most.

If you need the easiest possible charging, a bms, longer cycle lifespan and 20-30 mile range, then get the 48v 15 lifepo4 battery. More expensive now, but a dang good battery for longer distance commuting. Especially if you need to charge at work to make it back home. You can tell the boss that the lifepo4 is pretty safe to charge.

Back