What did you cook today??

Ok - So it's cooked and more than half is in my tummy -Thanks Bamboo, that Cumin trick is magic! (That combined with the cinnamon and pimento is fantastic). I went a little shy on the Cocoa powder, (just grated 4 blocks of 80% dark chocolate and a heaped teaspoon of Nescafe Dark Instant roast).

Now I gotta be honest - I whacked in a bunch of de-seeded fresh chilli and a touch of rocket. I was also empty handed when it came to my fun ingredient - The BEANS - Sadly no red/black combo of kidney beans - I had to doctor a can of baked beans (Not great but doable).

However, what an absolutely superb dish. The aroma - so tantalising, that initial taste - umami - and the resounding bite of the chilli at the end had me had me gasping. Two bowls later and I am still reeling at the nuances of flavor in every mouthful.

Thanks very much for sharing - Just a quick pic to start salivating -

Used these as per recipe (plus other required ingredients) -
IMG_8553.jpg

Added a Whack of these (de-seeded) baby's [half the punnet] - Ooh ooh ooh -
IMG_8547.jpg

Ended up most satisfied with this -
IMG_8550.jpg

The secret stash of all things wonderfull -
IMG_8548.jpg

Cheers

Ypedal said:
1.5 cups of white sugar, 2/3 cup of water, pinch of cream of tartar . boil to 245f
<snip>
turned out runny... tasty .. but runny... \

---------

Washed that down the drain, tried again, this time used an extra egg, ( i buy small size eggs, so not enough egg whites i figured.. ) and borrowed a better blender .. 2nd round came out better, but still not quite " mom's best " good..... must keep trying.
It is possible that if your water is not "pure", like our heavily mineralized city water here in Phoenix, some things simply won't make right with it. End up having to use distilled water or RO water for those.

Hey Camel, thanks a lot for this awesome report and the pics (how would you decide? "I'll buy a battery" or " I'll buy a camera"? :roll: )! You like italian food? I know another recipe, that went well when I cooked it for many others, maybe we can split this up again, you take the pics and I provide the recipe? :mrgreen:

Being processed and digested as I type. Will update when refined to solid state:

I cooked the slow cooker *YUMMY*

It's called Slow-Cooker Beef and Barley.

20130311_084950s.jpg
barley.jpg

More egg rolls, like previosu but this time with crushed bacon scraps in it. (Started with "scrap" bacon bought as ends and pieces, with big thick chunks instead of slices, and was trying to make pork bits for the egg rolls but I screwed that up and they sucked so I fried them up as bacon instead).

They're ok. But next time I will just eat the bacon separately. :)

Potato mash, meatballs and beetroot. Water of the potato mash filled with basil. Simple stuff. I have not eaten bread in three months, bored. Good sausages cost a lot. Those ones that have at least 85% pure meat, and 0,0% of carbs. Ones i use cost 14 euros per kilo. Around ten bucks a pound. Occasional Subway sub is good, i live 50 meters away from Subway :mrgreen: Sugarless tomato ketchup is pretty expensive too. Normal ketchup contains stupid amount of sugar. Last two months i ate pretty much only fish. You get bored with it after few months. Eating style here among folks is like people don"t even try to make any kind of fine looking meals. We concentrate on basics. You may only have a sausage as a dinner, but it"s a good sausage then. Quality over style.

Dutch Oven Chicken
April 7th, 2013

Oven pre-heated to 350°F
Bought a fresh organically raised 4.5 lb. chicken from Whole Foods this afternoon. Giblets were scant – one stomach & a neck, big deal, so I kept the neck and tossed the rest. Inside was washed thoroughly, then I placed
3 stems of fresh Rosemary
3 cloves of whole Garlic
And the Neck inside the cavity.

Placed the chicken in the 6 qt. Dutch Oven with:
1 cup of tap water
5 whole Peppercorns
3 dried Laurel leaves

Placed chicken in oven for ½ hour at 4:50 PM.

Notes
  • Recently bought the Martha Steward-brand ceramic coated Dutch Oven at Macy’s on Easter sale for about $58 USD; I don’t really care for Martha but it was a well-constructed pot with a lid that was as good as any I had looked at earlier in the day over at Bed Bath & Beyond. Last week it was initiated with a 5 lb. chuck roast (350°F for 3 hours) and considering the first attempt it came out good enough; little dry but plenty flakey so you could cut it with a fork. I had the veggies in with the roast the whole time; overcooked – but ok. I didn’t remove any fat, so it was a rich meal that lasted me about 4 or 5 dinners & I am certain to have gained weight! Regardless, this is my 2nd piece of cast iron cookware (the 1st being the skillet) and I am liking it.
  • Called my Mom for advice (cos I like calling her about cooking new stuff) and she said to add ½ to 1 cup of water to prevent drying out. We discussed my mistake with vegetables last time and she told me to add those in the last hour of cooking. Will do Ma :wink:
  • I prepped the vegetables during the 30 minute back.
Veggies
More or less chopped in this order and added to a large mixing bowl…
½ Yellow Squash (leftover – couldn’t fit in the previous dinner pot)
1 Green Zucchini
3 Celery stalks
10 smallish Crimini Mushrooms
1 smallish head of Broccoli
1 Green Bell Pepper
3 medium organic Carrots
1 medium-sized white Walla Walla Onion
2 smallish Heirloom Purple Potatoes
2 medium Red Potatoes

Spiced with
1 glove of Garlic, chopped
1 sprig of fresh Rosemary, denuded
Dash of Oregano & Basil & Salt & Red Pepper Flakes & fresh ground Black Pepper

Blended these ingredients twice with my hands to break up the levels – and spread out the loading of mushroom & onion throughout. When the 30 minutes were up, I pulled out the Dutch Oven and inspected the chicken which had just begun to turn away from pink, and was quite warm to touch. None of the water appeared to have evaporated, and yet there were small islands of chicken fat just starting to collect, and had an aroma was slight though noticeable. The ingredients of the bowl were then added in so that the order was reversed – with the majority of the potatoes and carrots at the bottom & squash at the top – though imprecisely. About midway through the fill I added the dashes of spice and garlic. It nearly filled the container clear to the top – and I had to be very careful to not touch the sides! The whole process took about 5 minutes – counting picture taking.

DutchOvenChicken0.jpg

Left: Chicken just before I placed it in the oven. Right: After 30 minutes; veggies ready to go into the pot (looks like apples but it's red potatoes).

Back into the oven for another hour at the same 350°F about 5:25 PM.

It was a cold wet damp weather day in the Pacific Northwest. I decided to enjoy a Pyramid Discord/Black IPA (previously reviewed here) whilst the chicken cooked. Mmmm <slurp!> Tasty!

45 minutes later: Mmm, empty glass. Feel good ~urp! Might have to break open that 2nd 22 oz. bomber; it’s an Elysian Dragontooth Stout. There’s about 15 minutes left to cook, though a really delicious aroma is wafting out of the kitchen. I miss my Convection Oven; the digs here don’t have the nice amenities that my farm house had. It seems to me that the Dutch Oven provides an even heat like Convection cooking – albeit lacking in expediency, and nearly the moisture quality of an oven bag without the mess. When I first brought it home I spent several hours seasoning the exposed cast iron edges, and upon cleaning after the first use – I was very careful and did not introduce soap. I’ve had problems with my skillet cos it gets so messy and I want to wash it… hard to break old habits. There’s 10 minutes left to cook & I yam anxious. Even if I pull the Dutch Oven out of the oven it will continue to cook as it cools. I’d sure like to get that chicken to where the meat falls off the bone by looking at it. The aroma is really picking up and I can pick out savory smells now. Maybe next time I’ll try using a little beer in the bottom of the cooker instead of water.

About 6:30 PM: OK, pulled it out and inspected. When I pulled off the lid you could hear sizzling at the bottom. I tested the veggies with a fork and they are done; no resistance with carrots. However the chicken does not quite fall away from the bone as I would like; I didn’t see pink, but I wasn’t convinced it was cooked all the way through either, so I placed it back in the oven for another 15 minutes – let’s be sure it’s good and done. What I sampled was plenty moist and there didn’t appear to be any shortage of that in the pot. Best to be sure even at risk of overdoing it for I desire the meat to fall away.

DutchOvenChicken1.jpg

Left: Pot packed with fresh veggies just before adding back to the oven after the first 30 minutes. Right: An hour later... taken seconds after I lifted the lid with steam rising (sorry about that chicken leg; I was a greedy zombie and had to sample it).

I bet the veggies can be added in the last 45 minutes, perhaps even al dente at 30. Better prep the movie; din din is coming soon.

6:52 PM; pulled it out to cool. Pulled off the lid and began tugging at the chicken to give us a serving; it nearly pulls free with a little bit of effort. Definitely done. The Rosemary smells heavenly! There is a lot of liquid in the bottom – looking forward to a cup of that. Time to watch an episode of The Walking Dead on Netflix. Epicurean discovery in a moment.

DutchOvenChicken2.jpg

Left: My dinner plate. Right: What's left in the pot; lot's of goodly broth there.

- - -

The veggies were overdone; expected that. Going to move that clock back to the last 45 minutes for the next time. Chicken almost falls off the bone, though is slightly dry; there’s plenty of liquid left in the pot so I don’t know how to answer that one except to let it cook for perhaps an hour before adding the veggies. I haven’t hit the breast meat so I can’t say how the flavor is, though overall it was lightly spicy, aromatic, and not salty. The plate didn’t last 10 minutes. Damn good!

If anyone has Dutch Oven stories I would been keen to learn more.
Bon appetite, KF

dutch oven has a whole other meaning out here lol..

When I was a kid my best friend had a very funny dad. I remember my mate telling me that when his parents used to lie in bed on a weekend morning together, he once saw his dad pull this trick where he theatrically pretended to cough up some lung butter and spit in the air, at which point reflexes caused his mother to quickly hide under the covers from the phlegm ball landing on her. With her head appropriately encased in the doona slow cooker, my mate's father let rip with a god almighty bottom burp. As his mother spent the next five minutes coughing up the taste of pyloric sphincter, my mate locked eyes with his father - who nodded sagely at him - something special had just been passed from father to son.....

EDIT: Just watched your video Ypedal after clicking post, I had presumed your video was going to be about the other kind of dutch oven (ie, a 'compression session'), I had always thought the fart related dutch oven to be secondary to its herbal counterpart. But there you go, maybe my mate's dad had family in Canada.....

:lol: :lol: Gold. That is one of my fav' cheech and chong scenes when chong tells him he has swallowed the acid. classic.

cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,165
Back