• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What is the quietest motor?

Magzy

10 mW
I have a GM magic pie and it makes a pinging noise and an electronic whirr at high speed coupled with spokes snapping here and there.
I'm putting 48v and 30a max through it with a lyen edition 9 fet controller with a ping battery (soon to be replaced with a 18s lipo setup)

Am considering getting rid of it and changing to a high torque but LOW NOISE motor.

What's the quietest hub motor that is also quite torquey and speedy (with an 18s lipo setup)

Quality has to be there too.

Thanks,
M

I have read that the new Crystalytre HS/HT motors are very quiet. Several reasons for the noise, one reason is something to do with the way the controller works and the type of windings. Now they are matching the parts designs better, also variations in the wall thickness reduces resonance, etc...

spinningmagnets said:
I have read that the new Crystalytre HS/HT motors are very quiet. Several reasons for the noise, one reason is something to do with the way the controller works and the type of windings. Now they are matching the parts designs better, also variations in the wall thickness reduces resonance, etc...

The older crystalyte 400 series are known to be quiet too AFAIK.

wineboyrider said:

Of all the motors i have used, my trusty 409 is the winner.

X5 = howl while accelerating quite while cruising
9C = buzz
BMC/eZee = Whine
clyte brushed = quiet but not efficient..

clyte 4 series = zero sound.

Ypedal said:
wineboyrider said:

Of all the motors i have used, my trusty 409 is the winner.

X5 = howl while accelerating quite while cruising
9C = buzz
BMC/eZee = Whine
clyte brushed = quiet but not efficient..

clyte 4 series = zero sound.

I like the sound of the Crystalyte series 4...

same price as a HT/HS but what's the main difference between the two - in terms of performance/ efficiency?

this: http://www.ebikes.ca/simulator/ answers my own question

so the Clyte 4 series is a good quality solid motor right?

The 40X series (406, 408, 409, etc) are smaller in diameter than the 9-Continents and HT/HS families of hub-motors. The extra diameter of the 9Cs adds weight, but it also gives the motor more leverage and torque-per-watt applied. A few years ago, many good reports about the 9C were posted, and they became quite popular (still are), and recently Crystalyte introduced the HT/HS series, which seem to be a competitor to the popular 9C (and the 9C clones).

Its getting harder to find any new 40X motor in the USA. They might be available direct from China or from an expensive retailer in Europe, but I looked around a few months ago for a 406 to copy John-in-CRs non-hub build and I couldn't find one. My plan now, is to get a geared hub from cell_man which is about the same size...

The thin walls (for weight reduction) and large diameter of the 9Cs side-plates cause a "guitar-box" effect with resonance, when accelerating at low speed. But once at stable cruise, they are fairly quiet (or so I have read). There were also postings about commutation of the controllers, and how some controllers caused a certain motor to be noisy, but a different controller did not.

I read a lot here, and many have posted that they loved how quiet the 40X's are, not just Ypedal.

Quietest motor i have heard was Matt.Ps 1000watt cyclone belt drive cruiser...

KiM

I had a geared BMC motor and yes it does have a whine because of the gears and the commutation causes an audible resonance on my steel frame/rack on low speed/acceleration. I wanted to try a direct drive hub to experiment with regeneration, and went with 9C because it seemed the best compromise between torque, weight and price. Thought it would be a lot more silent than my geared motor, but it's not the case. Commutation speed is slower (5x gear ratio) and I feel it harder. Bolted tight on my alu frame it gets into resonance at around 20km/h and sounds awful.

Do you think the reason Crystalyte motors are quiet is because of the skewed stator?
I know changing the trapezoidal controller to a sinusoidal would help a lot, but they are hard to get and expensive as I know.
I not only want silent motor, but one that has smooth low end torque...Any idea what to look for?

I have found the lower speed windings on the 9c motors seem quieter than the standard 2807 winding. Once you watt up though, 2000 watts will make any motor grunt a lot more than 500 watts. But for sure, lower speed windings, such as the 409 clyte would be the quietest of all. I'm not sure if the new flat style covers on the 9c motors resonate less, but it seems like the bell shape on the old ones would amplify the motor noise a bit more.

Any body got an idea on that one? All my newer motors are the slow windings, so I can't compare 2807's.

None of my 9c motors have made much noise to my ear, but I worked construction for 30 years. What? is my most used word. Any motor I've put on a bike with metal fenders became very loud instantly, so a tight bike makes a huge difference. Fenders, metal racks, etc can vibrate loudly. The real test is the bike path. People walking never turn thier heads thinking "what's that?" when I ride 9c motors. Using a gearmotor, lots of people did turn to see what that high pitched whine was.

So the HT HS series is noisier than the 40x series?

how much noisier?

(If you want a 40x series motor, you could post in the classifieds, surely alot of people have an old one spare. I still have my 406 408 motors but i thought that after 3000km there was a risk of the ALU moulded case cracking in traffic at speed s i changed it. the alu bearing housing wobbles on that motor cos the moulding isnt perfect, and aluminium wears out!, it isnt elastic like steel)

I probably have the largest stockpile of 4 series in north america, and i'm pretty sure that i'm the only one left with new un-used dual speed models ! lol...

The 4 series are good for about 1000~2000 watts, when run at 500w you pay a weight penalty, lighter motors are available for this power level, and they are certainly not X5's so 1000w all day long.. 2000w for a minute here and there but no more..

Is the Crystalyte skewed stator design smoothing out torque ripple and reducing motor noise or it has effect only on cogging?

A little metallurgy note:

Aluminum and most non-ferrous metals (lead, brass) are known for "creeping". Over time they will deform w/ a load. Alloys are used to help reduce this, but the crystal structure of alum is relatively large and it can only be overcome w/ over design. Kinda defeats the purpose of light weight in doing so. Even aircraft frames have a life expectancy, that is why we have aircraft graveyards. :shock:

dogman said:
I have found the lower speed windings on the 9c motors seem quieter than the standard 2807 winding. Once you watt up though, 2000 watts will make any motor grunt a lot more than 500 watts. But for sure, lower speed windings, such as the 409 clyte would be the quietest of all. I'm not sure if the new flat style covers on the 9c motors resonate less, but it seems like the bell shape on the old ones would amplify the motor noise a bit more.

Any body got an idea on that one? All my newer motors are the slow windings, so I can't compare 2807's.

None of my 9c motors have made much noise to my ear, but I worked construction for 30 years. What? is my most used word. Any motor I've put on a bike with metal fenders became very loud instantly, so a tight bike makes a huge difference. Fenders, metal racks, etc can vibrate loudly. The real test is the bike path. People walking never turn thier heads thinking "what's that?" when I ride 9c motors. Using a gearmotor, lots of people did turn to see what that high pitched whine was.
That's funny, because both my BMC and minimotor seem quieter than my 9c. The minimotor is the quietest of all of the one's I have experience with. The 9c is only makes that whining growl like you said when it's grunting. I like the sound actually it sounds like a special effect from Lost in Space. 8) 8) 8)

For an absolutely SILENT ebike ride, try a Tidalforce or E+. They use a very sophisticated integrated controller that runs the motor silently. Nothing else I've tried comes close to being as quiet - and I try to mess with everything at least once.

-JD

I've been pushing my Clyte 4012/408 to 3000 wats for a few years now in Texas heat. No trouble with it yet. Its is by far the quietest motor I've had any experiance with.
But it's also the least torque of any ebike I've ridden, even allowing for mine being overpowered.
I've got a few 9c motors around, All make more torque by significant amounts, but even offroad I still prefer my Clyte.

The Crystalite 408 is very quiet, I call it the "cat killer" because it's so quiet that I have nearly run over 3 feral cats on the local bike track. Boy, can they jump when surprised! :shock:
With the Schwalbe tyres and the 408 you really need some kind of warning device.

Can anyone comment on the difference in noise between the clyte 4 series and the new clyte HS/HT sensoreless?

It's a toss up between these two....

Back