What to do with your bike when you're "done"

EwanG

1 W
Change in schedule and issues with my wrists and elbows have convinced me that my biking days, even e-biking days, are over.

So I have this lovely e-bike that is still in great condition (thanks again to veloman for his work on it that made it that) sitting in the garage. Have put an ad on Craigslist, but am suspecting that most folks looking there are not looking for something over $1k even if it's less than half what I originally paid. The couple stores I know of (one here and one in Austin) that will sell on consignment are rather full of bikes, and I have this picture of the bike getting dry rot before being sold.

Thought about maybe donating to Goodwill, but not sure they would take. Thought about pawn shop, but even if there were dollars involved I question whether it would ever see the light of day again.

Surely I'm not the only one to face this dilemma?

Is this the one you just put an ad up for?

Or a different one?

FWIW, there's a number of people here on ES from your area. I'm sure someone would want it.

Heck, if you were in Phoenix and were actually considering goodwill or something like that, I could probably find you someone to buy it for cheap (though I don't know anyone that would pay what it's worth).

Is this your post? https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bik/4887311423.html

Two things that might help:

1) Pics. Most people ignore craigslist adds without pics. And if you can take those pics someplace nice, the bike will sell better. And if you can get a beautiful woman to pose with the bike, even better. :mrgreen:

2) Selling Bicycles in winter is like selling Christmas trees in July. Not much market for it. And if it stays on craigslist a long time, people will assume it's still for sale because it isn't worth the price, and not buy it even in season. Just a simple marketing trick, but it would be better to withdraw it from the market until spring.

Yes. pictures for sure.

Your wrist problems tell me when we see the picture, your bike has flat bars, or close to flat bars. It took me years to realize what body position must be maintained to ride flat bars. Bent elbows. But if you put some riser bars with some sweep to them on, you might find your wrist issues go away. Like bmx bars. Sit up and ride comfy,, on the weekends.

Patience, you'll need it wanting that price I think. And it's winter, even here in the south. You might in spring sell the bike by itself fairly easy, then you can easily ship the motor kit.

But in spring, if you can get somebody to test ride it, like somebody you know, then you might sell it easy.

Used battery value. as always. $0. Or certainly deeply less than you paid.

Pics for sure. If you build up an E-bike project in the hopes of selling for a profit...its still difficult right now. Look for local DUI's for a more fertile field of opportunity. Also students who can't quite afford a car yet.

I am older, and I have migrated to an upright posture with a broad seat and a Thudbuster suspension seat-post (Suntour-NCX is also popular). I am trying to avoid looking like I have a "chopper" fetish, but when I was younger, I owned at various times a "sport" 750 motorcycle, and a cruiser style (motorcycles are all full suspension, of course). The sport bike was loads of fun, had to sell due to speeding tickets (when they caught me)...I rode the cruiser 2 hours from Los Angeles to San Diego, and I could have gone longer because it was so comfortable. I'm focused on cruisers now...

If you are OK with going the full "old hippie" mode...a semi-recumbent is the most supportive and comfortable.

Will get some pictures added to the one on here, and to the CL version when I repost later.

Wrist problems were aggravated by the bike, but if it were just that I wouldn't be doing this.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would take up the Phoenix offer if I could figure out any way to send the bike that didn't cost so much I'd be paying someone to buy the bike :D

I used this service last Fall and was very impressed shipping a purchased bike cross country:

http://www.shipbikes.com/home3.html

Although they can provide a box we used our own so I never got a quote for that but the total cost to ship via FedEx Ground was under $50 IIRC?

PS - pics should be your highest priority at this point, IMO.

I will add these to the "ad" on here as well, but just so y'all can see it to:

pCqqnhqm.jpg

3U2BERib.jpg

q77KIRtb.jpg

Back