Where do you get your electrical connectors etc...cheap?

bumper

10 W
I've got a couple of radio shacks that are in malls and their selection leaves a little to be desired. It seems that they carry cellphones, cell batteries and more consumer items than the stuff that the hobbyists are interested in.

So, do you guys recommend any online places that can sell me some connectors, heat shrink stuff, toggle switches and the like? I'm sure I can drive to some of the Rat shacks in the suburbs, but with gas the way it is, I'd prefer to bike. Thanks.

I've been using a radio shack, polarized two prong connector on my chargers, two bucks apiece. Saves me shipping. They come in a 12 guage sise too. Not as waterproof as the trailer connectors, but nothing tape won't fix.

Here's a nickel sonny ... go get yerself some real connectors:

;)

http://www.powerwerx.com/

( Seriously .. the 45 Amp Anderson is pretty much the standard around here for main connectors. The ratshack XLRs are OK and the usual for recharger leads ... but not power mains. )

I use Andersons for my power connectors and standard 3-wire thottle connectors for...well...the throttle. I charged my SLAs right through the Andersons, so I had those fitted on my chargers, too. Any misc connection usually ends up with a simple insulated spade connector on it (I got 100 pairs from Home Depot).

electricscooterparts has pretty much every normal scooter connector you could want.

Favorite Electronicall parts places.
http://www.newark.com
http://www.mouser.com
http://www.alliedelec.com
All 3 have big paper catalogs
Newark and Mouser have easy to search web sites.
For deep questions? Call the manufactures of the parts.

Once upon a time a long long time ago, I discovered why radioshack components were so inexpensive. The quality SUCKED! And then on a different occasion i was without a reasonable alternative and had to visit a radioshack. I walked in and AFTER waiting what seemed forever for a sales clerk. I asked where can i find the PHONE jacks and he said to go to GTE the local telephone company. To which i responded........"why would i want to go to GTE to get a microphone jack". He told me i should have mentioned microphone instead of telephone and i said i never said telephone YOU ASSUMED i meant telephone it might be in your best interests to be a bit more inquisitive and far less assumptive. I was asked to leave. Since then i have had a few other encounters with radioshack and not one of those occasions was either helpful or beneficial. now i understand there is a photo of me behind the counter and instruction ot all sales clerks to shoot me on sight. HA HA HA

Buddy there just has to be an electronic parts store somewhere nearby within a reasonable distance to keep from having to deal with that company. I think i would sooner order parts for electronics from amazon.com than go to another radioshack store.

Hey, next time I'm ordering anything, I'll add proper connectors to the ship, but it seemed silly to me to pay a big shipping fee for a couple connectors. Hence the trip to radio shack. All I needed was charger connectors I wouldn't plug in backwards, and my bike isn't using mega voltage. My cheesy stock trailer connectors don't even get hot yet.

Anyone have a good source for quality 3 prong and 5 prong connectors for hall sensors and phase wires? I don't really like the smaller Anderson connectors. Had trouble with them not joining together very well, and had difficulty getting wires soldered in place.

Ive gone a slightly different route for semi-permanent connections like motor wires and Halls. I use Posi-lock cons in various sizes. Tittle teeny ones for halls! They screw together and dont come apart unless catastrophy strikes. The are reusable and guarantee their resistance is the same as or less than the wires they connect. Not cheep, but U buy them in bulk from Napa or Oreilleys and the like. Just a different alternative! I use Andersons for regular removable connections.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Ive gone a slightly different route for semi-permanent connections like motor wires and Halls. I use Posi-lock cons in various sizes. Tittle teeny ones for halls! They screw together and dont come apart unless catastrophy strikes. The are reusable and guarantee their resistance is the same as or less than the wires they connect. Not cheep, but U buy them in bulk from Napa or Oreilleys and the like. Just a different alternative! I use Andersons for regular removable connections.
otherDoc

I loved Posi-loks, but havent been able to get them localy in 8-10 years. I'd heard they went out of buisness. I've still got a dozen or so, and they've saved my hide on more than one occasion. So you can still get them in Alabama?

Don't forget to answer my poll about what your main battery connection is!

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5457

So far the PowerPole 45A is winning by a large margin.

PP45.jpg

I've found the smaller power poles are somewhat fragile. The plastic is very thin on the part the "snaps" together. Years ago, they broke on me when I was doing R/C. I don't like them. I'd get the bigger ones or go to some other connector.

I had the same experience with the smaller Anderson connectors. I am going to the local electronics place next week to see if I can source out some connectors.

Andersons are easy ... provided you own a proper crimping tool.

Soldering often results in something that won't fit in the connector.

You can get plastic anderson retainers ... or just use heat shrink to hold them in place.

yeah . . .

that crimping tool is expensive. I had some connectors that I had to hook up for my motorcycle and i asked why my crimps kept falling apart. The electronics guy at the store said I needed a 40$ crimper for it. Seeing I only had 4 crimps to make, he suggested that i crimp one "claw" of the connector at a time to the wire using a set of needlenose pliers with all my might so one "folds" over the other. If need be, he said drop a bit of solder on it afterwards, and then proceeded to sell me a soldering iron and some wire instead. :roll:

Back