Where should I buy a bike wheel?

I need a new wheel for my first hub motor build, but the local bike shop near me didn't have any spares or used wheels in stock that could fit my bike. Does anyone here have a preferred manufacturer for a basic 29 x 2.10 sized wheel with rim brakes? I'm trying to support better companies than lord Bezos and I know lots of wheels off Amazon aren't the best quality.

Are you looking for a whole wheel to take apart and build your motor wheel with, or just a rim and spokes for the motor? (noting that you'll probably need different length spokes than come with a regular bicycle wheel to lace the motor into it)

Assuming you don't need a whole wheel:

For the rim itself, it partly depends on the load the wheel has to support. If it's typical bicycle-duty, a typical double-wall aluminum / alloy bicycle rim will work. If it's higher weight or harsher riding conditions, a stiffer heavy-duty rim might be better. I'd go with eyeletted nipple holes, as they help minimize the chances of cracking at the holes, partly by helping spread the force of the nipples more evenly around the hole, etc.

For spokes, Sapim 14-15 butted or 13-14 butted would work well for most typical wheels, along with matching nipples for the nipple hole size of the rim.

More specific good info on both of those can be found in many of Chalo's posts on this general topic, among other members that have built lots of wheels (PapaSteve, etc).

Last edited:
Are you looking for a whole wheel to take apart and build your motor wheel with, or just a rim and spokes for the motor? (noting that you'll probably need different length spokes than come with a regular bicycle wheel to lace the motor into it)

Assuming you don't need a whole wheel:

For the rim itself, it partly depends on the load the wheel has to support. If it's typical bicycle-duty, a typical double-wall aluminum / alloy bicycle rim will work. If it's higher weight or harsher riding conditions, a stiffer heavy-duty rim might be better. I'd go with eyeletted nipple holes, as they help minimize the chances of cracking at the holes, partly by helping spread the force of the nipples more evenly around the hole, etc.

For spokes, Sapim 14-15 butted or 13-14 butted would work well for most typical wheels, along with matching nipples for the nipple hole size of the rim.

More specific good info on both of those can be found in many of Chalo's posts on this general topic, among other members that have built lots of wheels (PapaSteve, etc).
Thanks amber. Just rim and spokes.

So far- typical bike duty so double-walled aluminum or alloy with eyeletted nipple holes. Any good manufacturers?

Some names (mostly from other wheelbuilders' experiences) and random google links below:

Weinmann
SEBikes
Sun
EDIT this one is mc rims
I'm still using an ancient SunRims "big mammoth fat" (not by today's ideas :lol:) that was given to me already well-used, as my front wheel of SB Cruiser. i don't use it for rim brakes now, but I used to and it worked well for that.

IIRC, my Crazybike2 used an AlexRims off an old BionX, transplanted to the 9C I used.

(both of those are heavy-cargo trike/bikes but the front wheel is not carrying that load)

Sapim spokes
nipples on same site
(plenty of other places to get them, too)

Once you know the ERD/etc for the rim you are getting, you can take taht and your hubmotor info to various spoke calculators like this
or these
to get the right length for your wheelbuild.

make sure you take note of the nipple hole size in the rim, so you get the right size nipples for it (if it's eyeletted, drilling htem out bigger isn't an option (removes the eyelet...) unless you also get nipple washers (which the eyelet replaces)

Back